How to get the old/vinyl sound of drums? (examples inside)
Old 31st August 2013
Gear interested

How to get the old/vinyl sound of drums? (examples inside)

Hi, couldn't find it anywhere so I'm starting a new thread.

I've been dying to get this kind of drum sound but couldn't achieve anything even close.

Phantogram "When I'm Small" - YouTube

Although, this track has something similar from ~50 seconds in

Dido - No Freedom - YouTube

Help will be so much appreciated, thank you in advance
Old 31st August 2013
The Audio Whisperer

Isotope makes a free plugin called vinyl.
Old 31st August 2013
Gear interested

Yeah, I've used it, I've even tried to use actual vinyl recording noise, but it doesn't sound anywhere close. Maybe I should sidechain compress it or something.
That's why I'm asking
Old 31st August 2013
Gear maniac

Old 31st August 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmurphy View Post
which os are you on? if it's windows check out TONE PROJECTS | Sonitex STX-1260.
thanks man, that did help to get closer sounding drums,
but I still can't understand how it works
like how to achieve this without 3rd party soft, using the basic tools that any daw has
Old 3rd September 2013
Gear maniac

To me it doesn't sound like they picked up some dirty drum sounds off a record. The drums are very clean with a vinyl loop layered.
Old 3rd September 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampler Man View Post
To me it doesn't sound like they picked up some dirty drum sounds off a record. The drums are very clean with a vinyl loop layered.
I agree, the vinyl (noise) sounds like its own layer/sample that's looped in time with the drums. Are you trying to reproduce the noise sound, or the actual drum sound?
Old 3rd September 2013
Gear maniac

set up a track of vinyl noise/tape hiss/whatever and side chain it to the kick and/or snare. group them and compress to taste. i find this a good way of gluing drums together while getting a bit of a dirty vibe.
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

Audio Ease Speakerphone.
Old 3rd September 2013
Kas
Gear maniac

Sounds like a typical drum machine like an R8 with a noise plug in. I use to pay money to not sound like that.
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kas View Post
I use to pay money to not sound like that.
Old 4th September 2013
Gear nut

As has been mentioned this sounds like clean drums with vinyl crackle looped over the top. Sampling crackle from the start or end of an old worn out vinyl is about 100 times better than a plug in and not to mention more fun.

To make the drums larger and more "hip-hoppy" parallel compression is employed. A touch of tape saturation can send this effect even further but the drums will really start to dominate the mix.

Also worth mentioning the sparce arrangment of this song gives very little for the drums to compete with.
Old 17th September 2013
Gear interested

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosstopher View Post
Sampling crackle from the start or end of an old worn out vinyl is about 100 times better than a plug in and not to mention more fun.
Couldn't quite find any free samples out there mate :o
Thanks to everyone, turns out it wasn't much of a deal: I used iZotope Vinyl and sidechained parallel compressed drums to it.
To get closer to the Phantogram sound I just used cheap-sounding lo-fi drum samples haha
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search