Can the Peavey Scorpion ever sound not.... just plain awful?
Old 30th August 2013
Gear interested

Can the Peavey Scorpion ever sound not.... just plain awful?

I use the money I make from live gigging to support my recording habits. Small gigs with a lone Wharfedale EVP 15 Neo and a sub are the order of business as of yet. I also have two Peavey Scorpion 15" mains that I regret using every time I do. I can get more coverage with the two Scorps obviously, and I was wondering if there is any way to get a decent sound out of them. I really want to get another matching Wharfedale speaker so I can open up more options for live gigs. MSRP on the Wharf is about $360. My question here is: Is there a single piece of gear I can buy for around $250 to squeeze some sort of marketable sound out of the Peavey mains? I do mostly bar gigs currently, but they don't pay as much as I would like.
Old 30th August 2013
Gear maniac

I traded in my Peaveys for a pair of Harbinger HX151s and never looked back. Goodby mush, Hello clear, crisp, and pumpin !
Old 30th August 2013
Gear interested

How heavy are the Harbingers? The Wharfedale Neo is so ridiculously light, it's awesome. I'm also a fan of the 70x70 degree tweeter spread. It makes it easier to not flood the bartenders with deafening decibel levels. Because let's face it, people go to bars to drink, while the live music is a plus. The easier it is for the bartenders to hear their patrons, the faster they can work, which is a win-win-win for all three parties involved if I opt for percentage of bar-sales payout. Did I mention the the Wharfedales are ridiculously light?
Old 31st August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverclear View Post
I use the money I make from live gigging to support my recording habits. Small gigs with a lone Wharfedale EVP 15 Neo and a sub are the order of business as of yet. I also have two Peavey Scorpion 15" mains that I regret using every time I do. I can get more coverage with the two Scorps obviously, and I was wondering if there is any way to get a decent sound out of them. I really want to get another matching Wharfedale speaker so I can open up more options for live gigs. MSRP on the Wharf is about $360. My question here is: Is there a single piece of gear I can buy for around $250 to squeeze some sort of marketable sound out of the Peavey mains? I do mostly bar gigs currently, but they don't pay as much as I would like.
What sort of act do you have? Full band? Solo acoustic guitar? Solo piano?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search