Budget Drum Mics
New Reply
Subscribe
Toxinn
29th August 2013
Old 29th August 2013
Gear interested

Budget Drum Mics

I'm setting up a home studio in my garage and am looking for a decent drum mic set up, on a very low budget.

I current use an SM57 for my guitars, and plan to use it as the snare mic as well.

Any thoughts on the Shure PGDMK6as well?
29th August 2013
Old 29th August 2013
Gear maniac

A friend of mine has the Shure PG package, and it's pretty decent stuff for the price, but if you don't need to do a full close miked setup, I'd try using just a kick mic and a pair of decent OH's in a Glyn Johns config. Depending on how your garage sounds you might want to check out an extra condenser/ribbon as a room mic. Most of the Led Zeppelin stuff was done with 3 or 4 mics in a Glyn Johns config with an additional room or snare mic, so if your drums sound good, you should be able to record them good. If you have a list of what gear you have and perhaps an indication of what you're planning to spend, we'll be able to help you out much better.

Dutchy
29th August 2013
Old 29th August 2013
Gear nut

I used to use these back in highschool. Worked great but I used mic stands instead of the drum clips as my drummer and myself personally when I played drums in a different band would always hit the mics.

Audix Fusion Series 4 PC Drum MIC KIT $Super Nice$ | eBay

Now for overheads I would use sterling audio pencil condensers they are dirt cheap used on ebay. Also the sm57 would always go on snare drum and I would put a big Condenser on the kick preferably a mxlv67i
29th August 2013
Old 29th August 2013
Gear interested

Snare SM57
Kick: Beta 52 $175
OH: MXL v67g x2 $100 each

thats $375 you can use the beta52 for bass cabs, and the v67g is an awesome mic for overheads, as well as vox and guitars.

This will give you a nice array of mics on the cheap Or you could always go with a mono overhead and save $100 and not have to worry about phase issues.

Last edited by devindrum; 29th August 2013 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: Update
29th August 2013
Old 29th August 2013
Gear maniac

Two questions: how low budget is your low budget?

And what are you looking to do stylistically? If you're doing, say, metal or modern radio rock stuff, your drum mic requirements might be a little more extensive than they would be otherwise.
Toxinn
29th August 2013
Old 29th August 2013
Gear interested

I forgot to mention I also have a Focusrite CM25, which came with the Focusrite studio bundle.

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Studio Bundle | Sweetwater.com

I will be recording mostly Indie/alternative stuff, maybe a bit of rock as well. And with my budget I currently have only £200 to spend, (yes i know it really isnt that much!) But I am forever saving up!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search