New Reply
Subscribe
Bensav21
23rd July 2013
Old 23rd July 2013
Gear interested

Studio mic for male vocals under $300?

Hi Blue,

My name is Ben Savage, I am 21 years of age and reside in New Zealand.
I am looking at purchasing a new microphone and was wondering if people on this site could help me choose.
I have always wanted to try the blue spark, is that a good mic? What about the spark digital as it's compatible with my iphone? Any other good quality loq cost microphone for recording vocals would be great.
I am also after a decent audio interface but have been looking at the blue icicle which seems to be quite a good soundcard.
Here is a short video of me using an iphone 4s so you guys can see what I sound like and whih mic would help me: We Found Love Cover - YouTube

Thank you for your time.
23rd July 2013
Old 23rd July 2013
Gear Head

save up for an sm7
23rd July 2013
Old 23rd July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lick496 View Post
save up for an sm7
I never really felt that much love for the SM7. Nice enough but nothing special. Take the xformer out of a 57 and you're half way there. You could get an RE20 for the same price, and I can't remember the last time I chose an SM7 for anything over that. But I'm guessing there's a ribbon or an LDC out there that will suit the OP a whole lot more... thing is, the answer's gonna be different for each and every singer.

Sent from my GT-I9300
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

sm57
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Gear addict

I use both sm7b and 57 a lot on rock vocals, and they both work well. The 57 cuts through better in a mix IMO, while the sm7 is rounder and more full sounding.
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

Two great sounding mics that are warm and sweet sounding for way less than 300 dollars on the used market: ADK Hamburg and Oktava 319. There's a few up on the Gearstluz classifieds right now for cheap.

Audiobook for my suspense novel, THE DEVICE. 4-Stars!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Device/dp/...s=kurt+feldner

Music Sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQSESRzhkkw
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Gear addict

Note that Bensav21 doesn't appear to have an interface as of yet. The $300 might be including an interface as well, so some suggestions for a decent interface may also help.
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Gear addict

I have several beyer m88's I got for $270 each. They're great on vocals, more three-dimensional and sweeter than an sm7, yet with more weight than the condensers mentioned. And they work on just about anything you'd ever want to record.
Bensav21
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Gear interested

Hi guys!

Thank you for your amazing feedback!
I am definitely intereste in the Blue Spark Microphone unless anyone can talk me out of it.
Now I have a hard decision about the audio interfaces :/
I have brought the list to 3.
Focusrite scarlett 2i2
Presonus audiobox usb
Presonus audiobox 22vsl

I would love to hear of some great audio interfaces you have tried and also if you have tried any of my list as I want to make a decision soon to start recording.
Cheers guys!
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Gear maniac

Have you tried out the blue spark? In my experience with it it seems that mic will either work for you or it will bring out the worst in your voice. Me and a friend of mine both sounded horrible through it compared to the likes of an AT4033, but Ive heard other people have sounded great through it. Be careful with that as you may regret your purchase without proper research on how it sounds .

Some nice mics in the $200 range new and used with be:
Audio Technica AT4033/4040
Kel HM2D
Shure SM57/58
MXL 2003a

There's a lot more, but its early here and my brain isnt fully functional yet.

I love the sound of the focusrite 2i2 for the money, great little interface. If you could look for it used you can save a bit of cash (maybe even a used 2i4 to have that little bit extra i/o just in case).
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

I'm also going to have to mention the AKG c2000b as my new personal favorite in the price range. It's very classy and it just has this certain texture to it's sound that I find very smooth. Out of all of the other condensers in its price range that I've come across, I think it does the best job of not revealing as many compromises in its sound. If you have not tried one yet then I'd highly recommend you do so. You can thank me later.
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by prizebeatz1 View Post
I'm also going to have to mention the AKG c2000b as my new personal favorite in the price range. It's very classy and it just has this certain texture to it's sound that I find very smooth. Out of all of the other condensers in its price range that I've come across, I think it does the best job of not revealing as many compromises in its sound. If you have not tried one yet then I'd highly recommend you do so. You can thank me later.
I bought two of these when Sweetwater had them for $99. Decent mic at a great price and work well for my voice.

Finding the "perfect" mic is a never ending quest. You'll develop a perception that there is always a "better" mic than the one you just bought. You'll either build a collection of mics or buy and sell a good number of them trying find one that works for you.
26th July 2013
Old 26th July 2013
Gear maniac

I like both the MXL 910 or the Maudio Nova, but you have to do a simple HF deemphasis to tame the hi frequency harshness. That will cost you less than $75 and the remaining $125 for Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.
26th July 2013
Old 26th July 2013
Gear maniac

Don't know about the blue spark; It hasn't built up a reputation yet - not that it won't - it might be too new for reliable feedback. Sounds like this is what you have your sights on, so I say, "Go for it!" If you make a mistake... Well, sell it and buy something else.

As far as reputable mics that sound great, you really can't go wrong with an SM57/58. In fact, I prefer the '58 on vocals over the '57 because it has a slight high end lift, enhancing the vocals. The SM7 is not a mic I have tried, but it has earned a reputation as being a great vocal mic. On the other hand, the E.V. Mentioned above has an excellent reputaion as well, and is used in most radio stations I've seen. And I've seen the inside of a few.

As far as preamps go, presonus has a great little package, but I can say from experience that the focusrite is probably the best deal out there, as far as high quality at an affordable price. We keep a scarlett 2i2 in our media transfer office for that reason.
26th July 2013
Old 26th July 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to fastlanestoner Send a message via MSN to fastlanestoner
SM7 would be ideal, for condensers consider a CAD M179. A very underrated mic.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search