My Apollo 16 arrived
pazmusik
5th July 2013
Old 5th July 2013
Gear Head

My Apollo 16 arrived

I've been putting it through its paces. So far so good. I'll try to post some examples in the future. I was impressed by the sound of the original Apollo, and I'm not certain whether the chipsets/circuitry as a whole is the same in this unit as in the duos and quads.... but I used to have a 2192 for audiophile, 24/192 listening, and it was sweet, sweet glory.

This comes pretty close to that. It's wonderfully articulate, open and smooth and tasty. Beach Boys' "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" at 24/192kHz sounds like it was recorded yesterday (and yet and at the same time, it sounds like its era... you know what I mean?)

I'll track some things through it soon, though right now my current projects are all library tracks that are made up mostly of internal sample libraries, etc.

Can't decide if this belongs in low end or high end threads. This particular unit seems to skirt the fine line between the two, n'est-ce pas? (disregarding, of course, the outlay of cash you need to do to have a sufficient front end for this unit.)

paz
16th July 2013
Old 16th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazmusik View Post
I've been putting it through its paces. So far so good. I'll try to post some examples in the future. I was impressed by the sound of the original Apollo, and I'm not certain whether the chipsets/circuitry as a whole is the same in this unit as in the duos and quads.... but I used to have a 2192 for audiophile, 24/192 listening, and it was sweet, sweet glory.

This comes pretty close to that. It's wonderfully articulate, open and smooth and tasty. Beach Boys' "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" at 24/192kHz sounds like it was recorded yesterday (and yet and at the same time, it sounds like its era... you know what I mean?)

I'll track some things through it soon, though right now my current projects are all library tracks that are made up mostly of internal sample libraries, etc.

Can't decide if this belongs in low end or high end threads. This particular unit seems to skirt the fine line between the two, n'est-ce pas? (disregarding, of course, the outlay of cash you need to do to have a sufficient front end for this unit.)

paz
How's the high end on the Apollo 16 compare to the 2192? The high end on the 2192 is just natural and what makes it stand out to me. I currently have a 2192 and love that thing so any converter that sounds similar is a good thing in my book.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search