Login / Register

Is TC Impact Twin a notch above Focusrite Interfaces?
New Reply
Subscribe
ericr
3rd July 2013
Old 3rd July 2013
Gear interested

Is TC Impact Twin a notch above Focusrite Interfaces?

I've seen a few threads about this, but they're mostly quite old.

From comments I've read, it seems the audio quality of the TC Electronic Impact Twin (preamps, converters) may be a notch above similar interfaces from Focusrite (e.g., Saffire Pro 24). Is this correct?

Comments from anyone who has used both TC and Focusrite interfaces would be appreciated. Also, if anyone's displeased with either of these devices, I'd like to hear about that, too.

Thanks.

[Sorry for duplicate post. No replies at the other forums.]
3rd July 2013
Old 3rd July 2013
Gear addict

I'm a happy owner. It has almost all the types of in/outs that you need, works without problems in mac (don't tested it on windows) and kills almost everything in the AD/DA territory. Also has a great driver performance.
Check this Focusrite Forte test where the impact twin is one of the rivals.

Focusrite Forte Review : Be Forte! - Audiofanzine
3rd July 2013
Old 3rd July 2013
Lives for gear

I don't know specifically about the Impact Twin, but the quality of TC's interfaces is pretty high in general. I have the Studio Konnekt 48 and I'm very happy with it. I think that the Twin and SK48 might share preamps (decent and usable on the SK48), although the SK's conversion might be a little better.
I don't think Focusrite is on the same level.

These interfaces got a bad rep early on due to issues people were having with drivers. I'm happy to report that the drivers now work great under both Mac (I'm using 10.6.8 with Logic 8 and Max/MSP) and Windows (Win 7 with Samplitude) on my MacBook Pro (i7 2.67 from 2010.) Disregard the negative comments you'll see about stability at this point.

Audio Engineer, Composer, Musician

"People who only know about music don't know about that, either." - Hanns Eisler
3rd July 2013
Old 3rd July 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by matyas View Post
I don't know specifically about the Impact Twin, but the quality of TC's interfaces is pretty high in general. I have the Studio Konnekt 48 and I'm very happy with it. I think that the Twin and SK48 might share preamps (decent and usable on the SK48), although the SK's conversion might be a little better.
I don't think Focusrite is on the same level.

These interfaces got a bad rep early on due to issues people were having with drivers. I'm happy to report that the drivers now work great under both Mac (I'm using 10.6.8 with Logic 8 and Max/MSP) and Windows (Win 7 with Samplitude) on my MacBook Pro (i7 2.67 from 2010.) Disregard the negative comments you'll see about stability at this point.

Nice to see some info from real users of the impact twin. That interface caught my interest a few weeks ago and I think I'll get one. I'm hoping to get at least the same sonic performance I have now from a delta 1010.
3rd July 2013
Old 3rd July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicroom View Post
Nice to see some info from real users of the impact twin. That interface caught my interest a few weeks ago and I think I'll get one. I'm hoping to get at least the same sonic performance I have now from a delta 1010.
I'll reiterate that it isn't the Impact Twin in particular with which I'm familiar. I use a Studio Konnekt 48. I _think_ the Impact Twin shares preamps and possibly converters with the SK48, but you'll have to look elsewhere for confirmation of that.
Having said that, if the Twin is anything like the SK48, you'll get much better conversion than from the Delta 1010. I used to own a 1010, and the SK48 is far superior. I should say that I've worked with some great converters in the past (Apogee, dCS, Genex, Metric Halo) and while the SK isn't quite on par with the best of the best, it leans more in that direction.
ericr
4th July 2013
Old 4th July 2013
Gear interested

Thanks very much to all who responded.

--Eric
4th July 2013
Old 4th July 2013
Gear interested

Back in the day I had a Motu 2408mkii (Well, I still have it) when I bought the Mac G4. I had to sell almost all my gear and now I'm starting again ... finally.

I'm on a PC now. Would I be able to use the 2408 on the PC? I'll be using Ableton. I actually forgot I still had the 2408 until typing this message.

But the reason I'm responding to this thread is because I too am interested in the TC Impact Twin until I can I can upgrade to better monitors, room treatment, converters, etc, all at the same time. That is, unless I'm able to use the 2408ii.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if there is a noticeable difference in sound quality between the 2408ii & Impact Twin?

Thanks!
4th July 2013
Old 4th July 2013
Gear interested

Oh, I forgot to include a link (to whom it may concern).

Sound On Sound: TC Electronic Impact Twin Review
TC Electronic Impact Twin
4th July 2013
Old 4th July 2013
Gear maniac

4th July 2013
Old 4th July 2013
Gear Head

Looking forward to working with the impact twin. Plan to pick one up soon.
5th July 2013
Old 5th July 2013
Gear maniac

I also want to vouch for TC interfaces. I have a Konnekt 48 as well and have loved it. The plugins that come included with any TC interfaces are going to be the best of the best.
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Gear Head

My Impact Twin arrived and I've been testing it against some tracks I created with the Delta 1010. I duplicated the track settings in an old project, used the same outboard VMP-2 preamp, akg414 mic, etc. I then had the singer re track the vocals while bypassing the onboard preamps on the IT. Not scientific, but it did not require that - the vocals tracks were hands down better. The delta 1010 tracks were good, but sonic difference of the conversion is much clearer and smooth. I was surprised. I was hoping for at least the same good sonic quality I had with the delta 1010. The IT is much more than that.

We also tracked vox using the IT's onboard preamps. They were very good and usable - not quite the sonic quality I was getting from the outboard preamp, but I would rate them above average in that category. I probably will only use them when mobile, but I would not mind if that was the case. I think most people would be happy with them. I will say the onboard pre's are better sounding to me than my A&H GS3V and Soundcraft (GS30) mixing consoles.

BTW - Latency on a busy project - 2.9ms. No pops, crackles or dropouts. Solid.

Impact Twin falls into one of the top decisions I've made equipment wise. Hope this helps.
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

I'm interested in the Impact Twin also.
Is it correct that you can't send a different headphone mix through headphone out 1 to headphone out 2?

Also, are the line inputs "true" line inputs, or do they go through the preamps but padded down?
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Is it correct that you can't send a different headphone mix through headphone out 1 to headphone out 2?

Also, are the line inputs "true" line inputs, or do they go through the preamps but padded down?
Maybe you should read the manual then, all your answers lie within...
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post

Look over page 42 - Impact Twin Manual

The Impact Twin has some versatile options. Using the front inputs (1/2) the signal passes thru the preamps and channel tools. However, using inputs (1/2) on the rear panel bypasses the preamps but still routs through the tuner and channel tools. Using the rear inputs (3/4) the signal only passes through the A/D converter.
So yes - the rear inputs are line inputs. I personally like using the rear inputs (1/2) for tracking when I want to hear unprinted reverb while using an outboard preamp. The best of both worlds for my use.

There is only one headphone signal. The unit has two hp outs, but they send the same signal. One mutes all other outputs (speakers) while the other allows signal to flow to both the headphones and the monitor speakers.

I'm not sure if there is an interface out there that allows a lot of options for HP routing. There may be, but I don't know.
22nd July 2013
Old 22nd July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicroom View Post
Look over page 42 - Impact Twin Manual

The Impact Twin has some versatile options. Using the front inputs (1/2) the signal passes thru the preamps and channel tools. However, using inputs (1/2) on the rear panel bypasses the preamps but still routs through the tuner and channel tools. Using the rear inputs (3/4) the signal only passes through the A/D converter.
So yes - the rear inputs are line inputs. I personally like using the rear inputs (1/2) for tracking when I want to hear unprinted reverb while using an outboard preamp. The best of both worlds for my use.

There is only one headphone signal. The unit has two hp outs, but they send the same signal. One mutes all other outputs (speakers) while the other allows signal to flow to both the headphones and the monitor speakers.

I'm not sure if there is an interface out there that allows a lot of options for HP routing. There may be, but I don't know.
Thankyou for your very helpful reply.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search