29th May 2013
Old 29th May 2013
Gear interested

MR5mk2, BX5a, or BX8 D2?

I have an opportunity to get a pair of one of the following lightly used:

M-Audio BX5a Deluxe
M-Audio BX8 D2
Mackie MR5mk2

One of the BX8's already died. It was replaced with a brand new one 6 months ago and has worked fine since. So the pair I'd be getting would be fine, but I'm not entirely sold on the quality/reliability after that experience.

This would be for mixing primarily post-production and some music. Which is the most accurate? Which sounds the best? Best low-end?

This is going to be my "until I can afford better" pair, so please don't recommend anything else unless it's under $150.

Thanks!
29th May 2013
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

I had the BX5as, but none of the others. The Bx5as were ok, but always had, to my ears, a blurry and indistinct bass, kind of hyped. I replaced them with a pair of equator D5s, which are several orders of magnitude better. They were significantly less precise and has a LOT less midrange detail. But they were inexpensive and served me reasonably well as long as I had some headphones to compare them too
team8land
30th May 2013
Old 30th May 2013
Gear interested

I just did a side-by-side listening test to all three, and here are my impressions.

BX8 D2 - this is the best 'sounding' speaker. It has the best low-frequency response of the three, and the low-end even seems pretty tight. That said, it doesn't seem like a flat response. The high-mids seem pushed pretty hard. That's the most noticeable thing about this pair - the really hot high-mids. This, coupled with its low response gives the impression of being a crisp, loud speaker. It seems to be missing a little mid. This probably explains the low-end punch. The high-end is probably pretty accurate if you can get past those crunchy high-mids. I really had fun listening to this speaker cranked, but probably won't do much work on it.

MR5mk2 - despite the small size of the cone, it has a miraculously punchy low frequency response. Aaaalmost as good low-end as the BX8, but without a cone of that size, it can't quite get there. Overall, it also seems to be a much flatter, more accurate response. The sound is somehow 'smoother' than the DX8, too. I liked this speaker the best for my purposes, and will probably go with this one.

BX5a Deluxe - definitely the worst in a side-by-side comparison. It seems to suffer from the same high-mid and low boost as the BX8, but it also is missing low-end response, making it just sound empty and weird.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search