Amp Simulators, DIs, and Pre-amps
Old 26th May 2013
Gear interested

Amp Simulators, DIs, and Pre-amps

Can I get by recording with just an amp simulator? (Such as the Zoom g3x?) or will I also need a preamp/di box?

Right now I'm just direct recording from my pedals to my mixer, and I know that it's not going to sound good that way, but I don't know what I need to sound good, bare minimum.
Old 26th May 2013
Lives for gear

Your pedal puts out a signal that thinks it's going to arrive in an amp input. It wants to 'see' something like 1 megaohm. If you plug it into the mixer it will 'see' 1 kiloohm = Electrical stuff! ... the D.I. (which will need a mic preamp input to plug into) will do the job of translating between the 1 megOhms/1kiloOhms thing.

Maybe the Zoom will work, if your mixer has a "line input" (this is not a mic input) as well. Then you could go "guitar-pedals-Zoom-line input on mixer".
Old 26th May 2013
Gear interested

Thanks for the reply!

The mixer does in fact have line level inputs. The zoom unit has 1/4, XLR, and USB output.

Which option do you think would get me a sound most similar to what I hear directly from my amp?

edit* other than micing my amp!
Old 26th May 2013
Lives for gear

Amp simulators have never sounded like something coming from an amp to me, so I'd say just use the USB out. Wont that be easier to integrate?

No mixer required.
Old 26th May 2013
yea, i would go USB from the zoom and use amp sim software. Currently I'm most impressed by

Using RedWirez IR's to simulate the cabinet. They really did a great job and you can get a feel for how it all works by downloading their free Marshall impulse responses at that link. Load up Space Designer or LAConvolve and go to town!

I've gotten a pretty decent rock/metal sound using the LePou LE456 in conjunction with RedWirez Marshall IR's.

My .02$ hope it helps!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search