Is there a difference between Rane MS1 and MS1b?
Power Supply
3rd September 2006
Old 3rd September 2006
Gear addict

Is there a difference between Rane MS1 and MS1b?

Anyone? And if there is a differerence in chip, can you switch?

Thanks.
3rd September 2006
Old 3rd September 2006
Lives for gear

the ms1a uses an INA chip and the ms1b uses a burr brown. they're not socketed on the PCB, so while i suppose you *could* technically swap them out (all other complications aside), it'd be a massive pain in the ass. certainly not worth the $80 that they go for used.

i have an ms1a. it's a wholly decent preamp. it's for sale--drop me a PM if you want it.

cheers,
wade
Power Supply
3rd September 2006
Old 3rd September 2006
Gear addict

How can you tell the difference?
3rd September 2006
Old 3rd September 2006
Lives for gear

on the front......one says ms1a and the other says ms1b.

likewise, you can read the writing on the chip if you pop the lid.....

cheers,
wade
Power Supply
3rd September 2006
Old 3rd September 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrface2112 View Post
on the front......one says ms1a and the other says ms1b.

likewise, you can read the writing on the chip if you pop the lid.....

cheers,
wade
So I guess if it reads _MS1_ then it's MS1a?
3rd September 2006
Old 3rd September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Supply View Post
So I guess if it reads _MS1_ then it's MS1a?
i would suspect that to be the case. my ms1a actually says "ms1a" on it, however......so i can't tell you that with any certainty.

i suppose that the only way to be 100% sure is to pop it open and see what chip it's got inside.

cheers,
wade
Power Supply
3rd September 2006
Old 3rd September 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
i would suspect that to be the case. my ms1a actually says "ms1a" on it, however......so i can't tell you that with any certainty.

i suppose that the only way to be 100% sure is to pop it open and see what chip it's got inside.

cheers,
wade
Will do, thanks!
13th September 2006
Old 13th September 2006
Gear maniac

How is the ms-1 compared to the dmp3 and vtb-1 in quality? I am using an ADK Hamburg and need a little boost in the vocals to make them have a greater impact in the mix
13th September 2006
Old 13th September 2006
Lives for gear

Guys, last time I researched this topic, there was an MS-1, an MS-1a and an MS-1b. If you go to Google and do a search as "Rane MS-1" and then a search for "Rane MS-1a" and then for "Rane MS-1b" you should turn up the data sheet links from the Rane website for each version.
Power Supply
13th September 2006
Old 13th September 2006
Gear addict

I was told by Rane last week that the only difference between the MS1 and MS1b are the brackets. That's what the _b_ stands for. Both have the same Burr-Brown chip in them.
14th September 2006
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was told by Rane last week that the only difference between the MS1 and MS1b are the brackets. That's what the _b_ stands for. Both have the same Burr-Brown chip in them.
that's great to know! as i said before, i have the MS-1a (plainly identified on the front of the unit) and i have in fact opened it up and it does indeed have the INA chip rather than the BB.

cheers,
wade
27th November 2012
Old 27th November 2012
Quote:
What do you mean brackets?
13th March 2013
Old 13th March 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by highriser View Post
What do you mean brackets?
There's a bracket that runs the length of the preamp; allows you to screw the bottom down to a board, stage, etc.? Kind of wish it was a rack mount (front-mounted), but there's probably a 2x2 kit somewhere that allows you to do so.
13th March 2013
Old 13th March 2013
Lives for gear

I'm looking to buy another Rane MS1B or MS1S preamp if anyone is selling one. These little guy's ROCK! They sound on par with my Grace 101, to tell you the truth.
13th March 2013
Old 13th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
the ms1a uses an INA chip and the ms1b uses a burr brown. they're not socketed on the PCB, so while i suppose you *could* technically swap them out (all other complications aside), it'd be a massive pain in the ass. certainly not worth the $80 that they go for used.

i have an ms1a. it's a wholly decent preamp. it's for sale--drop me a PM if you want it.

cheers,
wade
I'm going to have to disagree... I got an MS1a a long time ago and found it incredibly easy to pop the thing open and switch out the chip. Radio shack sells a little tool that is perfect for this for something like $10, and I got a "free sample" of the BB chip from Texas Instruments. So for a $10 tool and not more than 5 minutes of work it sounds awesome.

-Mike
17th September 2013
Old 17th September 2013
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search