New Reply
Subscribe
GRIMESPACE
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
Gear interested

Setting up personal practice / recording space

Hi all:

New to the forum - was directed here for expertise in setting up a small room for practice / recording (I primarily play guitar). Right now, I've got a 3/4 stack in one corner and a combo stack in another along with a semi-permanent bookshelf. Everything else (except for the shelving system I've installed into the closet) is completely movable. Below is a drawing of the current layout.

I'm looking to put a recording desk together to record demos and jams with friends. I have the computer, monitors / stands, input device, etc., but am looking for some help determining the best location for placing the desk, with respect to monitor placement. Would it be best to squeeze the desk between corners so that I have the window centered behind the computer monitor (screen), or should I put it on the longer wall and somehow do something to tame the window and closet side reflections?

12th May 2013
Old 12th May 2013
Gear addict

In front of the window, centered between the side walls.

I would try to keep My setup as symmetrical as possible when it comes to things like corners. Keep the corners open, that's where the bass traps will be going, right?
GRIMESPACE
13th May 2013
Old 13th May 2013
Gear interested

Hmm... bass traps? This is a newbie forum, right? Actually, I wasn't sure at all what I should be doing at all with foam panels, bass traps, and the like. If I put traps in the corners, will there be a problem with the amps I have there?

Thanks for the help!
13th May 2013
Old 13th May 2013
Gear addict

I just mentioned traps because with any room, sound treatment is part of the game, eventually. Even for newbies.
13th May 2013
Old 13th May 2013
Lives for gear

To control glare you put the monitor perpendicular to the window...

But whatever. From a practical standpoint it's a small room and if you're going to have others over it won't be as functional if you have the desk on the side wall, especially with the bookshelves opposite.
GRIMESPACE
15th May 2013
Old 15th May 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stel View Post
I just mentioned traps because with any room, sound treatment is part of the game, eventually. Even for newbies.
Will look into bass traps for the corners - can they be effective behind the guitar amps? What about the acoustic foam I see people putting behind their monitors, etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper View Post
To control glare you put the monitor perpendicular to the window...

But whatever. From a practical standpoint it's a small room and if you're going to have others over it won't be as functional if you have the desk on the side wall, especially with the bookshelves opposite.
The side wall is kind of where I'm leaning. I'm wondering if I could put up some kind of insert in the window that'd cut down on the glare you mention (is that like reflections?). I also don't have doors on the closet right now - should I put some up to make the room a bit more symmetrical?

Thanks for the help!
15th May 2013
Old 15th May 2013
Lives for gear

glare/reflections -- If you have the back of the monitor face the window, then the monitor is in the dark, the window lights you up, and you see yourself reflected very well. If the front of the monitor faces the window it's the same thing but reversed. By putting it sideways to the window you minimize the problem.

Foam stops high frequency reflections. Bass traps make the sound more uniform through the room -- otherwise you have giant peaks and valleys. You might put a microphone in a spot with a sonic "hole" where some note lives. Or a giant amplifier. Think of those cars that drive past with one super-loud bass note. You don't want that in your room.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search