Monitor recommendations <500.00 for mixing rock/metal
pwrmac7600
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
Gear nut

Monitor recommendations <500.00 for mixing rock/metal

I know this thread has been posted a million times before, and I feel like I have probably read every one of them, but with the changing times, and advances in tech, and monitors that were once expensive now being available for cheaper used, I figured I would start a new one.

I am currently using Event 20/20 P's, which I bought new and have had for a decade now. I have never been totally thrilled with them, as I feel they are not very true. I will add, due to the constraints of my apartment, I am working in an untreated room.
I am thinking about getting new monitors, would like to stay under 500.00, need something good for working on Rock/Metal mixes, and would consider buying used.
Any suggestions? Go.....
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
Gear maniac

the best advice is to read howie weinbergs post "speakers". im going to grab a set of those krk's...
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
Gear interested

Equator D5, just do a search for them over the forums. Very good high-mid clarity and stereo image + excellent customer service and return policy if for some reason you don't like them.
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
Lives for gear
Get some room treatment. And DA conversion. And get yourself a nice amplifier too. Powered monitors are usually plain rubbish. I don't care what anyone says. Class D amps suck. All of them. Go ahead and say this one or that one isn't bad. They all sound the same. I have never heard a class D amp that had any soundstage. EVER. But if you've never heard a real soundstage set up by a nice amp and a pair of speakers, you wouldn't know. Class D amps all have the same exact problems with imaging. There is none.

If you're spending $500 you're not buying monitors, you're getting reference speakers... as in "let me reference what my full range mix sounds like when restricted."

Originally I wrote a huge rant here, but what's the point, somehow it's really hard to convince people that a corporation who exploits the plight of third-world populations would lie, cheat, and steal from them just to fleece a little extra wool off their backs.

The amp is EVERYTHING. This has been proven to me time and time again. Even a poorly designed speaker will sound WAY better with a nice amp.

My advice is to get a used Bryston 2B-LP and a pair of Alesis Monitor One passives... can be had for about $300-500. I've made some great mixes using that setup, just be careful with your bass extension range. A benchmark DAC1 is about $450 used. Welcome yourself back to reality.
pwrmac7600
12th May 2013
Old 12th May 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykostx View Post
Get some room treatment. And DA conversion. And get yourself a nice amplifier too. Powered monitors are usually plain rubbish. I don't care what anyone says. Class D amps suck. All of them. Go ahead and say this one or that one isn't bad. They all sound the same. I have never heard a class D amp that had any soundstage. EVER. But if you've never heard a real soundstage set up by a nice amp and a pair of speakers, you wouldn't know. Class D amps all have the same exact problems with imaging. There is none.

If you're spending $500 you're not buying monitors, you're getting reference speakers... as in "let me reference what my full range mix sounds like when restricted."

Originally I wrote a huge rant here, but what's the point, somehow it's really hard to convince people that a corporation who exploits the plight of third-world populations would lie, cheat, and steal from them just to fleece a little extra wool off their backs.

The amp is EVERYTHING. This has been proven to me time and time again. Even a poorly designed speaker will sound WAY better with a nice amp.

My advice is to get a used Bryston 2B-LP and a pair of Alesis Monitor One passives... can be had for about $300-500. I've made some great mixes using that setup, just be careful with your bass extension range. A benchmark DAC1 is about $450 used. Welcome yourself back to reality.
I am interested in hearing what you have to say. What do you recommend, Class A? Class AB?
is there such a thing as a lower priced Class A or AB amp?
Are there any newer class A or AB amps that I wont have to take out a mortgage for?
Keep in mind I am not a pro studio, I am a at home recordist, that does this for fun, I like writing and recording my own music, even if I am the only one who hears it, but I would like to improve my mixes the best I can, and within a reasonable budget, since I am not making money with this equipment. I took a look at Bryston, I also looked at some hafler, and carver stuff that I saw recommended around GS. The Hafler and Carver stuff seems much more in my league price wise. Although I did find one Bryston that I am keeping my eye on to see what the price goes to.
But please rant away, I am interested in hearing what you have to say.
12th May 2013
Old 12th May 2013
Lives for gear

I just got my first monitors. Primarily for editing audio for video. I got tannoy 6" passive for $125 a piece and drive them through an 80s Nakamichi receiver.

I have no idea how this would compare to something more "professional" but it's way better than what I ever had before.
14th May 2013
Old 14th May 2013
I could never get a good kick sound out of a 20/20. Thats like one of the most annoying things ever about a monitor. Ended up getting a pair of used 4408's and haven't had that problem since. You're going to need an amp if you end up going on up that road. Also, I have a pair of 4406's which I like better for high-end, but lacks bottom end. Its weird though because they use the same tweeters, I guess the crossover is different in the 44's and 42's.
14th May 2013
Old 14th May 2013
Gear nut

Blue Sky eXo2. They come with an integrated sub which is a huge bonus for rock/metal.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search