Login / Register

Liquid Saffire 56's liquid pres or RME Babyface?
New Reply
Subscribe
readaz
10th May 2013
Old 10th May 2013
Gear Head

Liquid Saffire 56's liquid pres or RME Babyface?

I'm looking to upgrade my interface from a Saffire pro 14. I like the look of the liquid saffire and have read good reviews on the unit. However the babyface has really caught my eye and I'm wondering how these units stack up against each other.

Obviously the ls56 comes with more I/o, but I'm really only currently looking to use two microphones at once while recording, so I am mainly interested in the liquid pres vs that of the babyface. I believe I can expand on the babyface with external pres in the future which is something I will definitely want to do, but I don't believe out can fully bypass the saffire pres.

I'm looking for any advice, I'm using a windows computer so apogee is out I the window.

Would I be better spending more on two quality mic pres with solid conversion in the babyface or are the liquid pres worth it, alongside the extra inputs?

Thanks in advance.
10th May 2013
Old 10th May 2013
Lives for gear

I can't comment on the Babyface, but I wouldn't recommend buying the saffire 56 just for the liquid preamps. In my humble opinion the liquid preamps sound slightly different but not actually superior to the stock preamps. I don't even bother using them. If you don't need all the ins and outs of the saffire 56 you should look at another option. Don't get me wrong, I love the saffire 56, but the liquid preamps simply aren't that great.
readaz
10th May 2013
Old 10th May 2013
Gear Head

After hearing a few samples that's what I was afraid of. I'm really just looking for the best quality sound recording with two pre amps. I've looked into the babyface and the forte. I believe the babyface might be my best option due to the ability to add external pres
MFW
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
MFW
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by readaz View Post
After hearing a few samples that's what I was afraid of. I'm really just looking for the best quality sound recording with two pre amps. I've looked into the babyface and the forte. I believe the babyface might be my best option due to the ability to add external pres
Can't speak for the forte but I can say the pres on the babyface are very quiet and won't color the sound at all. Rme has stellar conversion and drivers too. I'd bet the forte is a good unit too... But w ADAT babyface is def more versatile in expanding to a 10 in 12 out interface. Plus, totalmix is a dream come true once you learn it (which is pretty straight forward IMO). Don't think you can go wrong w either really... But there are many, many happy customers of rme and the babyface on this forum, which is part of the reason I bought one, and it was an excellent choice.
readaz
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
Gear Head

Thanks guys, sounds like the babyface is worth it. This means I could get a few pre amps with different flavours such as the gap pre73 , isa one and warm audio. This may give me more to play with than the liquid pres emulation
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
Lives for gear

Yes, for what you want to do, I think that the Babyface will probably be a better fit. Not that there's anything wrong with the LS56 - I've got one and I'm more than happy with it and I quite like having the Liquid Pres to play with - but I still think that the RME may prove to be the better option for your requirements.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search