Subscribe
smokingrobot
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Gear addict

Purchased an Ensoniq DP/4 - need help dealing w/ eBay seller

Hey guys -

I'm requesting the help of the hive mind here:

Long story short - i bought an Ensoniq Dp/4 off ebay for $230 bucks (go me, awesome price imo). it was in bad cosmetic shape but ebay listing assured me the unit was exceptional and worked fine.

Cut to - unit arrives, I unpack it with glee and go to turn it on aaaaand...
nothing happens.

No LCD screen, nothing. I hear a faint humming from the power supply inside the unit - but the power does nothing. I try a different cable to be sure (one i know works) and still nothing. So turns out its a bum unit.

I dont know muc about electronics but know a guy through a friend locally who may be able to fix it - if not, I've read all the threads that recommend Home - dude out in CA who repairs Ensoniq devices.

My problem is - im trying to reach an agreeable price w/ the gentleman i bought it from. I originally tossed out $50 bucks for what is currently a giant paper weight considering I'd be willing to keep it and find out just exactly whats wrong with it and possibly pay the price to fix it. Im estimating at a low end to have to fork over anything from 175$+. (If i go w/ thesoniq.com in Cali, its gonna cost me 50-60$ shipping it to and from CA, $70 fo labor + some unknown $ for parts could be $50 bucks, could be 150 - no clue). If its a simple issue, maybe a friend of mine could fix it locally for much cheaper, either way its an unknown.

I wanted to know what other folks thought and if $100 is a more fair price or not. My other recourse is to simply return the item and eat the shipping cost of returning it - i really do want an Ensoniq DP4 (or 4+) but going rate on ones in great condition is close to double what i paid.

Additionally, any advice as to what I should do re: dealing with the issue properly on eBay? I hardly ever order shit online and am unsure of how to protect myself from getting screwed.

Thank you in advance!
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013

File an eBay case: received item not as described. DO THAT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE to have sellers' funds temporary frozen. If he already took his money.... forget it. You'll have to ask Paypal to refund you and that will take a bit longer.
smokingrobot
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
File an eBay case: received item not as described. DO THAT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE to have sellers' funds temporary frozen. If he already took his money.... forget it. You'll have to ask Paypal to refund you and that will take a bit longer.
Done and done - thanks for the advice. I just worked out a deal with the seller at about 100 bucks total for the broken unit, now i just hope im correct in estimating costs to repair to come it about the same as what i originally paid might be another 20-40 still though, but still a good deal imo.
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear

If it listed as working fine and it arrived DOA, either something got jarred in shipping or perhaps the seller knew it was DOA. Unless you know what's wrong and what the cost is to fix it, you're kind of gambling....
19th April 2013
Old 19th April 2013
Lives for gear

Me personally I would not be so eager to take a broken unit even at a slightly reduced cost. If you're not happy just send it back.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search