Login / Register

Would love some help choosing an interface!
New Reply
Subscribe
Handsomecracker
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Gear Head

Would love some help choosing an interface!

First off, thanks for reading . . . I have a question.
If you had a choice between the Tascam US1800 USB Audio Interface or a MBOX or a PreSonus firestudio project which would you choose and why?

Thanks folks
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Gear addict

How many inputs do you need at once? Is there a daw you prefer?

I used to have a presonus firepod and it was great to learn on. It had 8 pres and I actually used it to record a band live.
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to swartzfeger
If you can spend around $300 and only need 2ch, check out the TC Electronic Impact Twin. Has digital I/O and has great converters, probably would have to spend 4 times that amount to get that level of quality (RME UCX or Apogee Quartet).

Given your three on the list, probably the Presonus, although the 55db preamps would give me pause if I was plugging in something like a SM7B.
Handsomecracker
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Gear Head

$300 is my budget unfortunately. I would prefer to have more than two tracks although I dont need it that often.

I will look into the TC Electronic Impact Twin.

Here is the thing, I was told that the sound quality of the MBox is better than the others, but it obviously only has 2 inputs, so I wanted to check with you guys and see what your thoughts were
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear

The newest MBox? Yes. A used or older model? No.

How many inputs do you realistically need? Only you can answer that question. I couldn't get less than you need. If you know you have recording setups where you'd want to record 3-4 sources at once... then I would only focus on the interfaces that will give you what you need, and then choose from there.
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Gear Head

Ah, I see. Good to know. How much better is the sound card in the MBox? The new ones? I know all these little things make a difference and I am trained enough to notice them.
I am smart enough to A/B for comparison but I dont have access to all three or four now with the TC Electronics being in the mix.

How significant is the difference in the sound card for the MBox line versus the others?

Thanks
19th April 2013
Old 19th April 2013
Lives for gear

I would check the reviews.

I've read a lot of reviews on them myself and everyone seems to trash the older MBox's. Whatever new stuff they did apparently puts it in a different league. It won't be as good as the higher tiered interfaces (Apogee, Lynx) people talk about.... but apparently they are now using some of the same higher quality components. The difference is probably moreso in the layout design of the interface, which affects sound.

Grabbing the new MBox would probably mean you'd have to spend some serous money to get any significantly better.. (or you'd have to mod it to upgrade whatever components they skimped on to keep the cost down). Should be a solid choice if you decide to go that route.

I would definitely check reviews though... this gets talked about a lot.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search