Interface recommendation
New Reply
Subscribe
jdenkevitz
8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
Gear interested

Interface recommendation

Im looking to replace my old delta 1010 (some of its connections in the back are dying).

I am interested in getting a new interface. I will be recording acoustic guitar mainly. My system is a home built PC - Win 7 64 bit, i5, 16 gigs ram. Running sonar x2 producer.

I have around $800 to spend, although if there is something significantly better for a few hundred more im game to spend more.

I only need 2 analog inputs and 2 analog outputs. I dont need midi/spdif/adat.

Im looking for the best possible sound quality. I dont care about its size or appearance (rack or desktop unit is fine).

Im willing to get a unit that has more inputs if that same unit has better quality pre's/converters than a 2/2 unit.

Im currently looking at:
Focusrite Forte
MOTO Ultralite mk3
Focusrite Saffire pro 24

What unit has the best Mic pre/converter combination for around $800?

Any and all opinions/recommendations are welcome!

Thanks!

Jason,
www.steamtheory.com
8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
Gear Head

From what it seems, the best way to go if you only need 2ins/outs is the Apogee Duet 2. It's $599 so it comes in under your budget, and most people will say that the pres are higher quality than the units you listed and many others. I don't have any experience with one personally, but I'm in the market! Good luck.
jdenkevitz
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Gear interested

Apogee Duet 2 is only for Mac correct?
10th April 2013
Old 10th April 2013
Gear Head

Yeup
10th April 2013
Old 10th April 2013
Gear interested

Also take a look at the RME Babyface. Probably the best quality mic pres and converters at that price point.
10th April 2013
Old 10th April 2013
Gear interested

I really like my new Steinberg UR824, and you can get them for < $800. I would also suggest not limiting yourself to 2 ins/outs. You don't know it now but you will want to expand later.
10th April 2013
Old 10th April 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolbi2112 View Post
I really like my new Steinberg UR824, and you can get them for < $800. I would also suggest not limiting yourself to 2 ins/outs. You don't know it now but you will want to expand later.
Babyface has 2ins 4outs and ADAT if you need to expand. +1 for Babyface here
10th April 2013
Old 10th April 2013
Gear Head

+1 RME babyface / for MAC Apogee Duet, Quartet
10th April 2013
Old 10th April 2013
Gear addict

Babyface has good pres, clean converters, is very expandable, and RME makes excellent drivers (and software for that matter).

A: The one with a good musician in front of it!
12th April 2013
Old 12th April 2013
Gear addict

Being that I recently sold my Motu Ultralite Mk3 Hybrid about two weeks ago I would say to stay away from Motu. The unit it self is built great and I didn't have any driver issues in the 3 years I owned it. It was not what I wanted as far as sound quality goes. When I brought it at the time I was just looking for something better than the alesis multimix I was using when I started out recording years ago. I produce christian pop, Christian r&b (same as urban), Christian hip hop, Christian Soft rock, and Christian rock music. IMO the pres were ok but they seemed to be hyped in the mid and high range way to much. It really lacked the punch needed for those types of music in the low end. It isn't a bad option but there are much better choices you can make. I turned a friend of mine onto focusrite and he brought a Scarlett 2i4 and I think it fits perfect for anything in pop and hiphop music. It has a really tight punch in the lows and the mids and highs are better than the Motu IMO. Check out the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 you can get them used on ebay for $750 and $1000 new. It will smoke any of the other ones you have listed and gives you lots of options for expanding in the future. Check zen pro audio to listen to any gear you are thinking of purchasing mics, pres, comps, etc.... Here is the link http://www.zenproaudio.com/clipalator.aspx
jdenkevitz
12th April 2013
Old 12th April 2013
Gear interested

Im not so concerned about expansion at the moment. (I have several interfaces already - Tascam 1082fw, Presonus firepod, and Delta 1010- its just these have problems).

For a bit more than the price of the babyface ($750), i can get the Liquid saffire 56. So between the two of these, I think the saffire would be more worthwhile.
I have other interfaces for recording drums, so im really looking for the best Pre/interface combo I can get for around $800 to do acoustic guitar recordings with two mics.

The 56 has two very well regarded liquid modelling preamps.
The forte apparently has the same pre's as in their rednet units and has fantastic specs.

One other option im considering is getting a focusrite ISA two and sending that into the inputs on my Delta 1010.

Thanks for all the feedback so far!
12th April 2013
Old 12th April 2013
Gear addict

IMO the Saffire 56 is a great interface and very underrated. The Isa 2 is good but I think the 56 is better because you get those two special pres that can add a different flavor. They aren't the real deal by any means but will be not to far off. The problem you will have is a/d conversion by just adding the Isa 2 with the 1010. You really want to have better audio conversion so you can hear everything clearer and make better mix choices. I listen to a blind test of a behringer ad converter vs Apollo converter and you really couldn't tell much of a difference between them. But for the money and I'm sure others will agree the 56 is the best hands down vs the rme.
12th April 2013
Old 12th April 2013
Gear Head

[QUOTE= I listen to a blind test of a behringer ad converter vs Apollo converter and you really couldn't tell much of a difference between them.[/QUOTE]

12th April 2013
Old 12th April 2013
Gear maniac

In that budget the Steinberg ur824 is a great piece of kit. enough i/o to keep you going for a long time, plus the sound quality is brilliant both pre and converter wise. I've used the Mr816 which is the FireWire version, but from what I've read up they're essentially the same unit.
12th April 2013
Old 12th April 2013
Lives for gear

I have the Saffire 56 - great unit for the price. However the OP doesn't all the pres, ins and outs.

The RME babyface seems like a better fit. He's on PC so Apogee is out of the question.
12th April 2013
Old 12th April 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathansweeney View Post
In that budget the Steinberg ur824 is a great piece of kit. enough i/o to keep you going for a long time, plus the sound quality is brilliant both pre and converter wise. I've used the Mr816 which is the FireWire version, but from what I've read up they're essentially the same unit.
+1 My friend has two in his studio and they aren't bad.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search