MXL V67G - any good?
Old 23rd August 2006
Gear maniac

MXL V67G - any good?

I have a factory sealed MXL V67G that was basically a throw in on a package deal. I'm wondering if this mic is worth keeping for anything. My only other two mics are an AT4047 and a Rode NT1. I record acoustic guitar, vocals and the occasional percussion. I read a review of the mic that described it as dark/warm and indicated it can be decent on vocals. Anyone have any experience? I don't want to open the package if I am going to sell the mic as it will reduce the value. Perhaps I should sell the NT1 and keep the MXL or maybe sell both and get something better?
Old 23rd August 2006
Gear interested

They actually sound surprisingly decent. nothing to go ape shit over but nothing to throw away. plus it adds a nice "bling" factor to any recording set up.
Old 23rd August 2006
Just Another Old Guy

For the right singer, the MXL V67G can be a great mic. I wasn't particularly thrilled with the sound of the NT-1. I understand that the NT-1a is a BIG improvement.
Old 23rd August 2006
Gear maniac

i owned a v67g a while ago but i sold it to finance other mics. It won't change your recording life but i really liked it and i miss it now.

At the moment i own an at4050, 2 mxl v69's, gefell m691 w m70 cap, a neumann km150 and i have some akg 414's (among other mics) and it compares nicely with those (not better just different). It's a really good mic for the money (a lot better than a nt1 if you ask me.... but as always ymmv )

hope this helps,

Thomas
Old 23rd August 2006
Lives for gear

excellent mic for 100 bucks. Its the only inexpensive LDC I have kept. Sold about 5 others to get one better one. I used to have 2, but gave one to my brother.

They are nice on acoustic guitar also. Sounds a bit like a large 012..
Old 23rd August 2006
Gear maniac

Thank you for the replies. I am definitely going to give it a try before selling it off. Sounds like I might end up selling the NT1 instead.
Old 23rd August 2006
Lives for gear

i've never had much luck with the V67 on acoustic guitars. just too grainy sounding.

as harvey said, on some vocalists, it can be just what the doctor ordered. in my experience, it also makes an excellent drum overhead mic.

it does have this hashy midrange thing going on--can't put my finger on it, but it's kinda weird. of course, that's probably exactly why i like it over top a drumkit.

in all, worth the $80 or so you can find em at. i'm keeping mine b/c it's the perfect fit for a guy i record somewhat regularly.

cheers,
wade
Old 23rd August 2006
Lives for gear

I had a '72 U87, in a mic shootout with a stock V67G, I picked the MXL. Needless to say, the U87 was sold long ago. I've never found a U87 to blow my mind, anymore then the V67G (which was smoother sounding to me, and cost $1,800 less). I've used the MXL as a general all arounder as it works well on a lot of sources. It usally sounds descent/above average. For $89.99, the risk is to low to not at least try and see if the mic works for your taste.

Btw. I've heard people modifying the transformer with different iron to get a diffrent sound/response out of they're MXL. I haven't personally dont this, but i'd imagine you you could get some interesting results.
Old 23rd August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL Respect Due View Post

Btw. I've heard people modifying the transformer with different iron to get a diffrent sound/response out of they're MXL. I haven't personally dont this, but i'd imagine you you could get some interesting results.
If the V67 sounds so much better than the U87, then why modify a great mic? Would it not also require changing the circuit to accomodate a different transformer?
Old 23rd August 2006
Lives for gear

I use it for certain male vocalists and I have a pair for OH's. The pair also sounded great on some South American steel-stringed folk instruments and a nylon guitar.
Old 24th August 2006
Lives for gear

V67 became the main lead vocal mic when recording my brother for his band´s debut album - not alot to choose from in the studio, but it sure stood out. It has an cool agressive and upfront sound which fit their The Jam "up yours"-kinda attitude like hand in glove. Go shop!
Old 4th July 2009
Gear maniac

its DEFINITELY worth its price and even at that- i would keep it and give it some chances on vocals/acoustic guitar.
I liked my pair that I had a lot.
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

holy thread resurrection, batman!

Old 4th July 2009
Gear addict

Where are you seeing them for $89.99? Every place I've looked they are$119.
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodreb View Post
AUGUST 2006.

3 years ago...recession is ballz.
Old 4th July 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

I got one of the best acoustic guitar recordings with the v67g...just beautiful....then I sold it
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
I got one of the best acoustic guitar recordings with the v67g...just beautiful....then I sold it
love it on AG, too.
Old 4th July 2009
Lives for gear

loved mine. the v67g has a very open sound. when i had the v67g and the NTK, i almost always picked the v67g. haha.
Old 12th August 2009
Gear maniac

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodreb View Post

The guy at my local music gear store is getting me a new one for about $80 + tax. I recently tried the V67g on a vox AC30 and was blown away! I may never use an SM57 or e609 again!

I love the frequency response of the mic and would love to try it on snare, but the max SPL is only 130 and I don't know if the snare would overload it. I've heard great things about the SP B1 on snare though.
Old 28th August 2009
Gear interested

I've never used this mic myself, but I know Michael Joly likes it quite a bit and has a mod for it, for whatever that is worth.
OktavaMod - Shop
Old 24th April 2012
Gear interested
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Sounds great Rich! Hard to beat the V67 for the money. I guess that's a 603 on the guitar? Sounds good too. What preamps? Any compression? Subtle effects? I thought I heard a teensy touch of chorus on the guitar when he starts to crank it up a bit.
Old 6th May 2012
Gear maniac

V67 is a good mic stock and a really good mic modded, if you know what you want.
Old 6th May 2012
Headbasket mod seems to make the most improvement. More improvement from just the headbasket mod as opposed to the electronics mod IMHO. Results in clearer highs, better definition overall, and tighter bass response.
Old 6th May 2012
Gear nut

I've got an Oktavamod version of this mic. ****ing fantastic mic for $300. Has a higher noise floor than other mics in that style, but it is very neutral across the spectrum and has great transient response. Not a lot of proximity effect going on compared to some of my other mics in the same pattern. I was recording BG box with it recently, and the male singer really liked it on his voice - and he was strictly a dynamic mic man. Not sure what it sounded like with the original capsule and electronics, but I suspect it was not a mic I would find much, if any use for otherwise.

Sent from my MB860 using Gearslutz.com
Old 6th May 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screws View Post
Sounds great Rich! Hard to beat the V67 for the money. I guess that's a 603 on the guitar? Sounds good too. What preamps? Any compression? Subtle effects? I thought I heard a teensy touch of chorus on the guitar when he starts to crank it up a bit.
+1
Old 7th May 2012
Gear interested

I find my self using it in almost every session, guitar, drums room mic, vox etc.
Old 7th May 2012
Gear addict

My main vocal mic. Used to have an AKG C2000B as my main vocal mic but that's been demoted to a drum overhead.... the v67g is a bit bright but I love it for my voice. The AKG is too mid-rangey, though it handles plosives a lot better than the MXL (the MXL needs a pop filter if you're close... you can do without one if you sing quietly and a bit away from it (while turning up the gain)...

I really love that mic... I see they raised the price of it from $110 to $120. In my opinion, worth every penny.
Old 7th May 2012
Gear addict

Kind of a silly question.. but theres an MXL v67gs thats supposed to be the same mic, only with attenuation pad and high pass switches. A little curious as to why this version hasnt gotten any love yet? Doesnt it sound exactly the same, but with more features?

I know the OP has the original version already, but I figured since we were talking about this mic Id ask.
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

I recently acquired this mic and compared to my other inexpensive LDC (Behringer B2), I don't think the MXL brings anything to the table.

The B2 sounds lush, "wet" and has a bit more weight. It sounds more true.

The v67 has an agressive sound, and the mids/lows are light, so the mic has a flat "in your face" tone. Dry. The mic has the opposite sound to how it is described on the MXL site, imo. There are plenty of v67 demos on youtube. Now when I listen to them I can immediately pick up on the quality I dont like. I think the v67 is more of a special effect mic.

That said, they really aren't that different and I could use either. The B2 has much more versatility and ships with good accessories. Also the body and construction quality is much better. The mxl is light and looks gaudy/cheap. If you do not have an aversion to Behringer, the B2 is the real deal.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search