Best dynamic microphone for £150-£200 for vocals?
Benakaginge
2nd April 2013
Old 2nd April 2013
Gear interested

Best dynamic microphone for £150-£200 for vocals?

As the title states, I'm looking at getting a dynamic microphone to use for vocals at around £150-£200 But it will also be used for commentaries on youtube and a bit of podcasting. Also would the Focusrite Scarlett 2I2 be good to go with it?
2nd April 2013
Old 2nd April 2013
Lives for gear

For that price range, i like the AKG Perception 220 or the AT 2030 or 2020.

As far the that Focusrite card, as long as it has pre-amps and phantom power, it will be just fine to use.

CJ
Benakaginge
2nd April 2013
Old 2nd April 2013
Gear interested

The mics you suggested are all condenser mics right? I'm looking for a dynamic microphone. I was thinking along the lines of the Shure SM58 but obviously something that's a bit pricier. I was possibly thinking of bumping up the budget to get a Electro-Voice RE320
2nd April 2013
Old 2nd April 2013
Gear nut

Audix om5 or Heil PR35 or shure beta-58
What vocal style? om5 is my preference for female vocals, or higher pitched male voices. If you have a deeper or grainy voice i would reccomend one of the other choices.
Benakaginge
2nd April 2013
Old 2nd April 2013
Gear interested

Vocal style would probably be my own so I wouldn't say I have a deep voice but I find it easier to reach higher end notes but I'd say I speak between middle C and F. The Heil PR35 seems like a good mic however I'm in the UK, and it seems you can't really get it for less than £250 which is a bit of a bummer. I'll definitely check out the shure beta-58 and see what reviews say of it.
3rd April 2013
Old 3rd April 2013
Gear nut

Or any of the Beta line. I have a sm87a in the post, Have heard alot of good reviews both live and studio. Here's hoping :O
Benakaginge
3rd April 2013
Old 3rd April 2013
Gear interested

Yeah, the SM87A is a condenser microphone though. The Beta 58A seems alright although I have heard it's not as good as the SN58
4th April 2013
Old 4th April 2013
Gear addict

You might be able to get a used SM7 for that kind of price.

Someone had to mention it sooner or later
Benakaginge
4th April 2013
Old 4th April 2013
Gear interested

I can't seem to very much information about the SM7, only the SM7B. I can't find anyone selling one on ebay either.
4th April 2013
Old 4th April 2013
Shure SM7B is essentially the same mic as the SM7 (read somewhere about a tiny difference in the low end but dont know if its true or not). ANYWAYS there's plenty of them on Ebay maybe you didn't search right? There's at least 15 on the Irish ebay site which has significantly less items on it than others (.us, .uk etc etc).

You'll see the majority of GS members will recommend it as one of the best dynamic mics money can buy, Im becoming more and more convinced to buy one myself despite the common sense being shouted towards me by my wallet
Benakaginge
4th April 2013
Old 4th April 2013
Gear interested

4th April 2013
Old 4th April 2013
I just searched on ebay.co.uk under the search term "shure sm7b" just to be sure as I thought it a bit weird that only 1 listing for it came up. Here's what it shows up for me mate: http://i47.tinypic.com/32zu8gk.jpg

Edit: Technically its a bit over what you were willing to pay but its definitely worth it. I always see posts about the SM7B around here, so I think it would work out to go for it yourself rather than buy a different (albeit cheaper) microphone and be plagued with "what ifs". Plus it retains its value so if theres the odd chance you dont like it you can always get pretty much all if not most of your money back.
Benakaginge
4th April 2013
Old 4th April 2013
Gear interested

But they're from the USA so they'll also have import charges which means it'll, put the cost up greatly. It's more than likely to have ordered a new one from the UK
4th April 2013
Old 4th April 2013
I'd recommend doing more research on this first before buying but neither myself nor my close family have been charged any import charges via ebay yet, and Ive bought some expensive things (sub 1000e mind you) but still, I think you're safe on that front as far as I know. It seems to be the shipping that is hiked up for international orders.
Benakaginge
4th April 2013
Old 4th April 2013
Gear interested

You haven't had any import charges from buying stuff from the USA. Hmmm, I suppose it could work, but maybe import charges are different for Ireland than the UK.
5th April 2013
Old 5th April 2013
Gear addict

Anything coming from outside the EU (e.g. America) to inside the EU (e.g. the UK) is subject to import charges. I think it's 20%, but don't quote me on that.

Whether you actually get charged is hit and miss. Some people do, and some don't.

To be honest, you're much better off waiting for one to come up in the UK. They're common mics and I'm sure one will appear in a few weeks. Keep an eye on eBay, Gumtree and the classifieds here at Gearslutz!
Benakaginge
5th April 2013
Old 5th April 2013
Gear interested

Don't you need a really good preamp for a Shure SM7B though? And I can't access the classified forum on here yet.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search