Login / Register

Re-amping with a active DI-box possible?
New Reply
Subscribe
zinzin
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

Re-amping with a active DI-box possible?

i was told it could be possible if i'd reverse the DI box. i tried it but didn't work. i only heard stuttering sounds or very noisy sound. so ... is it possible and what did i wrong?
i have the samson s.direct plus active DI box.

EP "THE FABULOUS EXPLODING LOVERS"
https://tfel.bandcamp.com/

"LIQUID GAS" PSYCHADELIA
http://liquidgas.bandcamp.com/album/the-sky
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear maniac

Im certainly no expert in reamping, but i have been working in electronics for 25 years .
I just recently looked into it myself, but i know you cant use an active DI in reverse since it contains active electronic components like opamps/transistors which cant be run in reverse, a passive DI basically just uses a transformer which is a passive Component that can be run in reverse.

There also seems to be a discussion about how well it works with a passive DI compared to a real reamp box, i havent tried any of them yet at least.
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear maniac

Personally after alot of research im thinking of getting the Palmer DACCAPO since it seems like a fairly affordable and well liked box, you will need to use a DI box for the input though to split the direct signal from the guitar that goes into the DAW input and the signal used for monitoring through a guitar amp etc.. but i guess you already have that.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/palmer_reamping_boxdaccapo.htm
zinzin
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

Active DI...not possible. Passive DI...possible, though not optimal.

My opinion, reamping is not worth doing AT ALL unless you have the correct equipment, and even then I rarely want to do it.
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

I got one of these:

Rapco Horizon Lo Z- Hi Z (re-amp box) w/ XLR/¼ l/O.

Cheap and works!
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclarson View Post
Active DI...not possible. Passive DI...possible, though not optimal.

My opinion, reamping is not worth doing AT ALL unless you have the correct equipment, and even then I rarely want to do it.
I definately understand where you are coming from.. and i agree.

Reamping is supposed to be a fairly old technique, ive read somewhere that even The Beatles might have used it at some point, but i guess they pretty much both invented modern pop music as well as alot of creative studio techniques together with George Martin and also some of the engineers that were involved.

To get back on track..
I have never even considered using reamping until very recently since i have never really had a problem committing to record a guitartrack the traditional way. I started out in the 80´s with a very simple 4 track cassette porta studio that only had the simplest low and high EQ on recording and not on mixing.

What happened is that i came across a speaker emulator plugin called Recabinet and thought i might try out an old Marshall JMP-1 preamp that i had and really never had used and decided that i liked it better to use this than miking up an amp at our rehearsalroom studio even though we have SM57 and condenser mics, vintage 70´s cabinet and whatnot.

Of course its also about convenience, being able to track without any stress at home and have alot more control over the result. The reamping part was mostly so that the other guitarplayer might send me a clean DI track and i could reamp it through an amp here at home not having to use a speaker or mic. It could also be good to be able to save my own original clean DI tracks to be able to reamp later in case im not satisfied with the sound or want to use something else later on.
zinzin
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

up until now i too have never used and never thought about re-amping. but lately a friend of mine asked me if i could do it because he lives in the city in a flat and he can't use a real amp for recording. he gets his guitar sound with amp simulation software but he is not satisfied with it. the solution would have been me re-amping the tracks with real amps. but i only got the active di box ...
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzin View Post
up until now i too have never used and never thought about re-amping. but lately a friend of mine asked me if i could do it because he lives in the city in a flat and he can't use a real amp for recording. he gets his guitar sound with amp simulation software but he is not satisfied with it. the solution would have been me re-amping the tracks with real amps. but i only got the active di box ...
I also live in a flat and there is no way i could record with a real amp AND speaker here (would have to do it as the rehearsalroom studio), but now recently i use the following 2 alternatives.

1. Real amp speaker output(my old JCM800) --> Marshall SE100 Speaker emulation system (and speaker load) unfiltrered output (no emulation)--> input of DAW interface. Recabinet speaker emulation VST.

In the case above, no speaker is needed at all since the SE100 completely replaces the load and gives you a line out to the DAW.

2. Marshall JMP-1 preamp, output without speaker emulation --> input of DAW interface. Recabinet speaker emulation VST.

The JMP-1 actually works really well for me and i get some really excellent sounds with this solution, havent really used the JCM800 much yet, but it is constantly connected as well and sounds very nice as well.

Personally i can really recommend the JMP-1/recabinet solution or with your prefered preamp since it is very cost effective and sounds great as far as i am concerned and you get to play a real analog amp but with great sounding speaker simulation.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search