MJE hulk 990
griff71177
18th March 2013
Old 18th March 2013
Gear addict

MJE hulk 990

Anyone ever use one of Mr. Joly's mics with an Avalon 737?

Just ordered a 6 micron hulk990 and am anxious to hear it!

Thanks!!!
1st April 2013
Old 1st April 2013
Gear Head

Bump.

I just ordered one a couple weeks ago. What a coincidence. I dont have an outboard pre, just going through my integrated ones on my EMU 1616M. Ive been secretly coveting a Great River ME-1NV... but I dont know how justified it would be over the integrated pres. Anyways... Anyone have one of these? Anyone have suggestions about pres to use... Im doing Rap/Soul vocals mainly but want something transformer-ey to get me huge. Likely, I dont know wtf Im talking about, feel free to clue me in.
1st April 2013
Old 1st April 2013
Gear Head

Beyond that, this guy that owns a big studio out here in the east bay told me the Avalon 737 SP is shit and only used by rappers, and told me to get a lunchbox API. Personally I think the guy is an asshole, which is why Im not mentioning him or his studio's name, but is he right about that, or just flexing his asshole at me?
griff71177
12th April 2013
Old 12th April 2013
Gear addict

If you can't get a decent sound out of an Avalon with a decent mic, the gear ain't the issue. Someone who says the Avalon is shit gear must either be using very expensive gear or don't know what they are doing. Me personally, I went from a eureka (which sounded great to me) to an Avalon and my sound (hip hop/rap and r&b) is MUCH improved. The reason the Avalon is used in these genres is it stacks vocals well without getting too thick. But you can still get a thick sounding vocal out of it, just gotta play wit da knobs man...
griff71177
12th April 2013
Old 12th April 2013
Gear addict

If the Avalon is such shit gear, why is it still a staple in many studios today? Maybe I'm ignorant to what great gear is as this is the best, most expensive mic pre I've ever owned.

Anyway, like I said before, if you can't get a great sounding vocal using an Avalon with a decent mic, the gear aint the issue.
griff71177
12th April 2013
Old 12th April 2013
Gear addict

I've heard great things about great river as well. Never know till u hear it...
14th April 2013
Old 14th April 2013
Gear interested

Hamsan, The Avalon 737 preamp sounds cleaner than an API 512. Both are great mic amps. If your looking for the "big transformer sound" I think you would be doing yourself a favor to give the API style preamps a try sooner than later.

OJ
16th April 2013
Old 16th April 2013
serious amateur

And the Hulk?
16th April 2013
Old 16th April 2013
Gear Head

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will look into an API, I think my school may have a 512 I can finagle, they dont have 737s tho.

As far as the HULK 990 goes, I LOVE it. I havent used too many other mics, so I dont have a whole lot to compare it to. Ive been using it for the last week. Its got wonderful character, smoke/bluesy. My VOX and acoustic guitar sound great. I'm not sure how to technically explain it, but my last mic was a MXL-770. So... its not hard to blow that thing away. However I have used AT-4050, Blue Bottle, Neumann TLM 103, U47, U67 and U87ai. I have used the AT and 87ai through the same chain and although it is hard to compare a new mic to a memory of a mic, I have been more excited about this HULK for my mid-range voice. However, it could be because I just shelled out the money for it and psychosomatically/acoustically want to believe that. The fact that I am not having buyers remorse and disappointed with it is a good sign. In short, it holds its own against the big boys.

The mic is supposed to be comparable to a u87ai, but improved sibilance and slightly extended top end. For the vast majority of people that use it in a digital realm with plug-ins to smoosh it with tape emulators anyways, you will be happier, and have to use less air or sparkle on your eq getting into the ridikalus 10-20k (but hardly noticeable if you are in a less than perfect home environment like me). Otherwise, for the price, and the fact the guy is a Slut like all the rest of us... everyone should have one. But then again, Im a new guy in a shit home environment still learning.
17th April 2013
Old 17th April 2013
Gear nut

i have two of the mxl 990's modded by him that i bought from him new just before he started doing the MJE re branded units. i love the hell out of them. i was using an mxl4000 and another cheap mxl ldc. blows them both clean out of the water. i've used it on tons of vox and as drum room stereo mics. LOVELOVELOVE them.
9th June 2013
Old 9th June 2013
Gear interested

9th October 2013
Old 9th October 2013
Gear interested

Hey griff71177 the track "groove mami" sounds official if u don't mind me asking what mic did you use to record the vocals and what pre fantastic work "DOPE"
griff71177
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucianely787 View Post
Hey griff71177 the track "groove mami" sounds official if u don't mind me asking what mic did you use to record the vocals and what pre fantastic work "DOPE"
Thanks lucianely787!!! It's crazy, that track is almost 10 years old. We were using a blue mic blue bird and an unmodified presonus eureka, believe it or not. It's nuts that you mentioned that track, I been listening to all my older music and I wanted to get another blue bird because of it, and sell off my MJE HULK 990 w/ a 6 micron capsule, but the vocals I laid down last night, which was the first time I REALLY worked out this MJE mic, it sounded SOOOO MUCH better than the blue bird/eureka combo, no need to add the polish to the sound when it's already shining! I love this mic. The Avalon 737 I use now vs the presonus eureka might have something to do with it too, but I'm not getting rid of this mic...EVER!
31st October 2013
Old 31st October 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by griff71177 View Post
Thanks lucianely787!!! It's crazy, that track is almost 10 years old. We were using a blue mic blue bird and an unmodified presonus eureka, believe it or not. It's nuts that you mentioned that track, I been listening to all my older music and I wanted to get another blue bird because of it, and sell off my MJE HULK 990 w/ a 6 micron capsule, but the vocals I laid down last night, which was the first time I REALLY worked out this MJE mic, it sounded SOOOO MUCH better than the blue bird/eureka combo, no need to add the polish to the sound when it's already shining! I love this mic. The Avalon 737 I use now vs the presonus eureka might have something to do with it too, but I'm not getting rid of this mic...EVER!
27th March 2014
Old 27th March 2014
Gear interested

Love the 990 hulk (open direct warm sound), its my second go to mic in my studio after my cad vsm1 (little bit more bigger sounding)
29th March 2014
Old 29th March 2014
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysam View Post
Love the 990 hulk (open direct warm sound), its my second go to mic in my studio after my cad vsm1 (little bit more bigger sounding)

I agree 100% Mje 990 hulk (open direct warm sound) i just have one lil problem is very sensitive maybe i need to try it with a double pop filter.
30th March 2014
Old 30th March 2014
Gear interested

Yes I noticed that also .I think mic position with the hulk plays big role w sound
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search