How to "burn" headphones properly?
Old 18th March 2013
Gear addict

How to "burn" headphones properly?

Hi,

This might seem a stupid question...though I really need to ask it.

Throughout times I had different monitors, headphones...and so on. With usage time they became more defined, active, detailed, compared to the day when I turned them on for the first time.

Im actually unpacking a pair of beyerdynamic dt-990.

Should I leave them playing through the night?

Should it be simply music or should I leave some kind of white/pink noise in loop playing?

Im asking this because I will use these hphones for late night mixdowns/on the road mixings and want them to give me a not so huge tweak work when I get back to the studio.

Thank you for your time.
Old 18th March 2013
Lives for gear

don't worry about it its not important
Old 18th March 2013
Lives for gear

There are different veiws on this topic, but currently I am running in my HD800 cans.
This is because with past headphones, I have definitely noticed a change in sound after 100-200 hours. So I want to get them to a point where there is no noticable change in sound. I wouldn't say it is essential, but for me preferable.
BTW I just have mine playing through my mp3 till the battery runs out, then I charge it up again. I will do this for about 150 hours.
Old 18th March 2013
Gear addict

Ahhh, thank u for your reply.

Ive seen some guys talking about white noise (so a lot of freq range would be "affected" while it was playing) - actually makes sense!

200hours is a lot of hours to burn!

I never actually cared about it with all my previous hphones...this time im feeling picky!
Old 18th March 2013
Lives for gear

Yes I have heard about people using white and pink noise. Not sure if it helps or not. I think the main thing is to "excercise" the drivers, so playing a variety of music should do the job.
Old 18th March 2013
Gear maniac

I know this isn't exactly relevant, but not too long ago I bought a second hand pair of speakers that the guy was using extensively for around 6 years (ie: more than enough time for them to be burned/broken in), I TOO experienced a noticeably change in sound with them getting "better" after a week or so. So even though it was impossible for them to have been broken in [any more], I still experienced the same mind-phuck phenomenon, I've never bought into the whole burning in speakers, especially now that I've had the same "getting used to them" experience. Just something to think about.
Old 18th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperUser View Post
I know this isn't exactly relevant, but not too long ago I bought a second hand pair of speakers that the guy was using extensively for around 6 years (ie: more than enough time for them to be burned/broken in), I TOO experienced a noticeably change in sound with them getting "better" after a week or so. So even though it was impossible for them to have been broken in [any more], I still experienced the same mind-phuck phenomenon, I've never bought into the whole burning in speakers, especially now that I've had the same "getting used to them" experience. Just something to think about.
Yup, that's it right there. I read somewhere that it only takes about 10 seconds to break in a speaker. Most manufacturers do that during the testing phase. I think the whole "speaker break in" myth is basically the result of your ears and brain getting used to something new and slowly acclimating itself to the new sounds.
Old 18th March 2013
Lives for gear

using gas or wood??
Old 19th March 2013
Gear interested

Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

Lighter fluid.
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

I have heard all sort of "theories" regarding audio, and most of them I discard. I was skeptical too about running in speakers as it didn't make much sense to me. Until one day it was explained to me by someone who actually designs and makes high end monitors.
SPEAKERS ARE MOVING PARTS. And any device which has moving parts is susceptable to small but significant changes after a short amount of use.
It has nothing to do with making them sound better.
I have found after running in that the treble drops off a little. In the case with my Grado's this was a good thing as they were a little bright. But with my Shure's, they were perfect at the start, but now they are a bit dull in the highs.
But in both cases, they did sound more "open", with an improved soundstage.
Of course this would happen naturally without running them in, but it does not hurt to speed up the process.
Old 19th March 2013
Gear addict

Im comparing this as u do it on a brand new car. Its always recommended to go for the highway for a long drive in average speed so the engine gets in proper rotation.

Thanks for the feedback!

Not so much for the stupid comments below.
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrogoya View Post
Im comparing this as u do it on a brand new car. Its always recommended to go for the highway for a long drive in average speed so the engine gets in proper rotation.

Thanks for the feedback!

Not so much for the stupid comments below.
Not any more.

We bought a brand new car in 2010 and was advised that there is absolutely zero need for a modern engine to be broken in - maybe take it a bit gentle for the first 1,000 miles and you're done.
Old 19th March 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sound View Post
Yup, that's it right there. I read somewhere that it only takes about 10 seconds to break in a speaker. Most manufacturers do that during the testing phase. I think the whole "speaker break in" myth is basically the result of your ears and brain getting used to something new and slowly acclimating itself to the new sounds.
I thought of this too, I totally agree.
Old 20th March 2013
Gear nut

i could see it having a change period on a monitor if a wooden speaker enclosure came from say a high humidity environment to a dry one or the other way around. sort of an acclimation period while any moisture escapes. if it would cause an audible change in sound is beyond me and likely irrelevant to our use. not exactly life or death :P
Old 20th March 2013
Gear maniac

"Burning in" your cans absolutely changes the way the driver physically reacts to signal.

The edge of the surround of the driver becomes a bit more pliable along the glue line.

Also, any driver with a treated paper or rubber (goop) impregnated cloth surround becomes more pliable as the compounds mollecular structure becomes more pliable and evenly deflected.

Bought a pair of AKG 271 and thought the things were a bit slight on the bottom end, like quite a bit.

Made a tone sweep file with my tone generator with slow sweeps from 15Hz-10KHz.

Let that run through them at a moderate level for a few days and it really improved the low end response...

Thankfully

This is sort of like running a stiff new shirt through the dryer for a while, although I would refrain from tossing your cans in there with your shirt.
Old 20th March 2013
Gear maniac

I just put my iTunes of shuffle for a couple of days and left them to wear mine in. I heard a real difference before and after. There's no need to do anything more than that in my opinion!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search