Please critique my first effort
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear

Please critique my first effort

Below is my first serious effort to produce a good sounding recording. it's short, a jazzy trio thing, just the head. The tune is Duke Ellington/Billy Strayhorn's "Daydream." I'm playing the guitar and the bass. The drums are loops from Big Fish Audio's "brush artistry" augmented with toms and rides and etc. dropped in.

The guitar is a guild artist award recorded direct via an Avalon U5 into an apogee duet.

The bass is mic'ed with a modified MXL 990 (microphone parts basic mod+ new capsule). The original 990 was horrible, horrible; the modded mic is good.

Daydream

What's good about it, what's bad? Not looking for flattery, looking for helpful critique.

I can hear some performance issues--the bass timing esp.--which come from having to hit "record," pick up the bass, set it into postion, and hit the downbeat synched with the drums. Need to get a foot controller. The bass sounds a little "unglued" to me, not quite meshed with the rest. That may be because the performance is tentative?

Any suggestions welcome, and thank you for listening.

Part of my interest here is my band won seven hours of free recording time at a local studio. I want to be technically and musically prepared before we go in, so I don't waste anyone's time.
Old 17th March 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB+J View Post
Below is my first serious effort to produce a good sounding recording. it's short, a jazzy trio thing, just the head. The tune is Duke Ellington/Billy Strayhorn's "Daydream." I'm playing the guitar and the bass. The drums are loops from Big Fish Audio's "brush artistry" augmented with toms and rides and etc. dropped in.

The guitar is a guild artist award recorded direct via an Avalon U5 into an apogee duet.

The bass is mic'ed with a modified MXL 990 (microphone parts basic mod+ new capsule). The original 990 was horrible, horrible; the modded mic is good.

Daydream

What's good about it, what's bad? Not looking for flattery, looking for helpful critique.

I can hear some performance issues--the bass timing esp.--which come from having to hit "record," pick up the bass, set it into postion, and hit the downbeat synched with the drums. Need to get a foot controller. The bass sounds a little "unglued" to me, not quite meshed with the rest. That may be because the performance is tentative?

Any suggestions welcome, and thank you for listening.

Part of my interest here is my band won seven hours of free recording time at a local studio. I want to be technically and musically prepared before we go in, so I don't waste anyone's time.
Sounded pretty good to me.

I know it's always better to get things right at the source, but mixing, panning, eq, compression etc will make a big difference. Plus, there's the mastering phase to consider, vis a vis things getting 'glued together'.

I don't know much, just observations from one relative noob to another!

Will you have a sound engineer when you go into the studio?
Old 17th March 2013
Lives for gear

</Flattery>
Whoa! First effort? I'd wish my first efforts were so good as yours!!! It is very good!
</FlatteryEnd>

I find it a little in my face considering the style, but otherwise it is good!

Good work!
Old 17th March 2013
Gear Head

If you're concerned with coming in at the right time at the beginning you can just count yourself in during the first track you record then use it as a guide for the remaining tracks. Or add a pre click track. I like the feel of a real count better though.
Old 22nd March 2013
Lives for gear

Thank you all very much. It is a little in your face for a basically acoustic jazz trio--I'll try backing it down a bit
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search