2 days 'til Equator D5 price increase - should I?
View Poll Results: Should Rog buy a pair of D5s before the price goes up?
YES!
12 Votes - 85.71%
NO!
2 Votes - 14.29%
Buy these other $300/pr monitors instead (please provide info).
0 Votes - 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27th February 2013
Gear addict

2 days 'til Equator D5 price increase - should I?

Or shouldn't I? There has been so much "internet buzz" surrounding these things that it's gotten my curiosity up. Just realized they're apparently going up in price by $100/pr on March 1st, so it seems like now's the time if I'm gonna do it at all. But how much of this buzz is hype and how much is truly deserved praise?

I've been mixing through old-timey HR824s - the wood kind - since they first came out, and it seems like the D5s, with their purportedly clear mid-range, might be a good compliment to the Mackies' scooped-ness. I'm envisioning a situation where getting a mix to sound right on both those speakers should cover me pretty well. Anyone using the pair? Am I way off base with this thought pattern?

What the hell - I'll let you gearslutz decide (if I can figure out how to make a poll work).
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear
Wonder if that means they're going to start selling them through distributors now.
Old 27th February 2013
Gear maniac

I generally stay away from over-hyped gear myself, but I heard too many good things about these from people I respect to pass on them, so I decided to pick up a pair. After hearing them first hand, I say they are easily worth 2 to 3 times the price (even after the price increase).

Definitely pick up a pair - if you don't like them, you have 60 days to return them.
Old 27th February 2013
Gear nut

That is right you have 60 days to return them. All other products have a 7 day return policy. I have owned products that I loved but not everyone favorite. All speakers have differences in voicing. Find a reviewer that shares your musical tastes and viewpoint can help. The layout of your room can be a factor in deciding what speaker or monitor to get. Good luck!

I will be reviewing three monitors in the near furture with the D5 that I already owned!
Old 27th February 2013
Gear nut

I saw that and bought them about 2weeks ago. Best decision Ive ever made. I started playing old mixes thru it and heard an instantaneous difference from my old shitty behringers to the equators. You wont be disappointed

Sent from my SPH-D710
Old 27th February 2013
Just ordered mine.
440€, which translates to $575

DAMN YOU EUROPEAN PRICES!

Still... Probably the best gear buy for me so far
Old 27th February 2013
Banned

Compared to all the other monitors I have, I would say that these could be priced at ~$800 and it would still be a good deal.
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear
Just pulled the trigger.
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordae View Post
Just ordered mine.
440€, which translates to $575

DAMN YOU EUROPEAN PRICES!

Still... Probably the best gear buy for me so far
Apparently they sell Europe-specific models, since the ones I am seeing on their site are North American voltage only

Puts a bit of a damper on my purchase as I plan to move to Europe in a couple years and really don't want transformers all over the place

Kind of odd to see things w/ out switching power supplies in this day and age
Old 27th February 2013
Gear nut

I wanted to point out that the only other coaxial speaker that I like besides the D5 in a few places is the Kef Q series. The Q300 speaker is very good unit more transparent, a bit less forward midrange, brighter and more suitable in a mid size room but larger box than the D5. The Kef is a good passive HiFi speaker which cost about $900 if you do not have a amp to drive them well. The D5 is still a better mixing monitor and smaller space requirements.
Old 28th February 2013
Gear nut

I ordered me a pair of Equator D5s yesterday. I got the $349.99 bundle. They should be arriving this upcoming Tuesday according to Marty at Equator. I hope they live up to the hype!
Old 28th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarxysa View Post
I generally stay away from over-hyped gear myself[img]http://www.********.info/24.jpg[/img][img]http://www.********.info/10.jpg[/img]
Yeah throw them Neumanns to the trash can!
So I can come pick them up later...
Old 28th February 2013
Gear addict

Guys, thanks for the insight and the votes. Looks like I'll be picking up a pair this evening unless something changes quickly. Any other comments?
Old 28th February 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog951 View Post
Guys, thanks for the insight and the votes. Looks like I'll be picking up a pair this evening unless something changes quickly. Any other comments?
yes I DO! last day!!!!!!!!!
Old 28th February 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordae View Post
Yeah throw them Neumanns to the trash can!
So I can come pick them up later...
There is a big difference between a solid reputation earned over the course of several decades and overhyped. But if you have some Neumann's you want to get rid of, I can take them off your hands.
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

Mine arrived on Monday. I'm still very much in the honeymoon/break-in period, and I haven't had nearly as much time with them as I would have liked, but so far I am VERY pleased with the purchase.

I say go for it!
Old 1st March 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by John57 View Post
I wanted to point out that the only other coaxial speaker that I like besides the D5 in a few places is the Kef Q series. The Q300 speaker is very good unit more transparent, a bit less forward midrange, brighter and more suitable in a mid size room but larger box than the D5. The Kef is a good passive HiFi speaker which cost about $900 if you do not have a amp to drive them well. The D5 is still a better mixing monitor and smaller space requirements.
+1 on the KEF Q Series. I have a pair of Q60s that I still use regularly. I don't own Equators, but I do have the Pelonis Model 42s. Very different sound from the KEFs (more midrange detail) but the thing they have in common is they are co-axial. Friends come over and tell me their mixes sound wider in my room. I don't think it's the room; I think its the co-axial configuration. I started on UREI 813s in LA studios and have always liked the way co-axial speakers sound. To me, they just sound better than the usual 2 and 3-way arrangement. I suspect that is the appeal of the Equators: your mix is finally coming to your ears time-aligned and phase coherent.
Co-axial is the way to go
Old 1st March 2013
Gear nut

Just got mine as well and I am very happy with them.

Oh,by the way, these are my first set of monitors, so dont put much stock into what i think.

Carry on.
Old 1st March 2013
Gear addict

Yeah, well...I didn't do it. I started to checkout but balked a bit at the $40 shipping cost, decided to step back and think about it for a little bit, then I fell asleep! When I woke up, boom: $399/pr.

Oh well, that's what being spoiled by free shipping does for ya!
Old 1st March 2013
Gear maniac

I bought a pair with the case, iso pad, cables, etc. at 10:45pm last night. It was an impulse purchase when I read about the price increase that would happen just over an hour later. Good/lucky timing on my part.

If anyone's interested, I just did a quick Amazon search, and there are still a couple available here for $299, but I'm not sure how long that will last.
Old 1st March 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silky Smoove View Post
I bought a pair with the case, iso pad, cables, etc. at 10:45pm last night. It was an impulse purchase when I read about the price increase that would happen just over an hour later. Good/lucky timing on my part.
I bought the same package four months ago, and I'm still floored by them. Best $300 and change I've spent in a long time.
Old 1st March 2013
Banned

Same here
Old 1st March 2013
Gear maniac

Glad to hear it. I'm excited about these. My current monitors just aren't working for me like I'd hoped they would. Hopefully these provide what I need without me having to drop big money on something truly high end.
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silky Smoove View Post
If anyone's interested, I just did a quick Amazon search, and there are still a couple available here for $299, but I'm not sure how long that will last.
Not long at all.
Old 3rd March 2013
Lives for gear

Is there anywhere that I can still get these for 299?
Old 3rd March 2013
Gear interested

I got them right when they came out. And then ordered the bag when it came out. And then the iso pads when they came out. Payed shipping every time, and STILL couldn't be happier. They could be $600/pr and I'd STILL be stoked!
Old 3rd March 2013
Gear addict

I bought them last minute before the price jump. Expecting them tomorrow.
Old 5th March 2013
Lives for gear

I just got mine and am trying them out. I think they could do with a bit of loosening up as many have pointed out. Preliminarily I have to say that I'm very impressed by the quality considering the size and price. Very impressed.
Old 5th March 2013
Lives for gear

sub woofer?

Is anyone using a sub woofer with these? If so, what are you using? Just curious. I never see anyone mention subs in conjunction with these little boxes.
Old 5th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffer Fish View Post
Is anyone using a sub woofer with these? If so, what are you using? Just curious. I never see anyone mention subs in conjunction with these little boxes.
I have a cheap sub that I'll try maybe tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think.

So far though hearing bass is definitely no problem with these. I find it to be well defined. However, I do have some concerns about how well they take various bass frequencies at louder amplitudes.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search