Login / Register

Need help rounding out my drum microphones.
New Reply
Subscribe
dagonz94
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Gear interested

Need help rounding out my drum microphones.

I've decided to pick up a pack of three sm57's and a beta 52 off of musicians friend for 399$ I'm already liking the price because if bought seperately, it'd be well over 400$. I have a four piece drum kit I record so now I'm thinking I need to pick up some good mics for overhead usage, the thing is I don't want any one trick ponies, I'd like them to be useful on other sources. I mainly record heavier styles of music so I don't want anything with a hyped high end.

I've heard good things about NT5's, CAD 179's, and various Ribbon mics. Just want to see if anyone could chime in about anything they own and like. At the moment I have a pretty strict budget of 400$ max and I'm willing to buy used so if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them!
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Gear addict

What king of preamp are you using? I've heard great results from people with a pair of cascade fathead ribbons. They would be great for overheads and then for guit cabs as well.

Or you could get a pair of LDCs that you could also use on vocals.
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Lives for gear

CAD M179s. You'll have and use them on everything.
dagonz94
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Gear interested

Right now I'm really lacking in the preamp department. I'm just using the stock pres on my tascam us800 but I'm upgrading to a focusrite interface relatively soon. I'll be sure to check out the cascades, I've really been wanting some nice ribbon mics for quite some time. Thanks for the replies!
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Gear nut

For overheads the audio technica 450's maybe worth a look.
20th February 2013
Old 20th February 2013
Gear maniac

I am using a pair of st55 mics thatth go for 80 each used, i then sent them to john bonnell and had him change some caps. They sound great.

www.robertmdrums.com

I'm old so I have accumulated a lot of gear
22nd February 2013
Old 22nd February 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

i have a similar drum mic setup. Beta52, SM57 snare, & 58's on toms.
if i didn't already have a pair of CAD E100 from many years ago i'd snag a couple CAD M179s.
23rd February 2013
Old 23rd February 2013
Gear maniac

Cascade Fatheads (darkish/warm, good on amps and more), CAD M179s (clean and accurate, sweet on toms, usable for basically everything), AT Pro 37s (crystalline, not hyped, pretty great on AC and perc if that's a thing)... I love my Pro 37s, personally, because they're versatile and not overbright. I've also had good luck with Oktava MC012s, but I don't know how well they'd translate for heavy music. Oh, and I hear great things about Little Blondies, which are omni and will likely catch all your thrash/crash.
23rd February 2013
Old 23rd February 2013
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to countrymetalguy
The CAD Trion 7000 ribbon mics work great as drum overheads. I've used them many times with a beta 52 on the outside and a SM91 in the drum and on playback, I got more low end from the ribbons than I ever got from the kick mics. I own a fathead also, but prefer the sound of my 7000s a lil better for overheads. There cheaper than. Flatheads too. Runs at 940ohm so you'll need a pre with alot of gain.
Alpharetta GA.
23rd February 2013
Old 23rd February 2013
Gear nut

I got a matched pair of KAM MC3 condensors on eBay for less than $400. It comes with 3 separate caps (Cardiod, omni, and vocal,) and shock mounts and cases for both mics, and they sound awesome.. Especially in omni mode.
I'm not associated with Kam in any way, but I would not hesitate to use these on any drum, especially overheads, or any of his other mics.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search