Login / Register
 
Simplify my non-computer setup (Fostex R8, Zoom R24)?
New Reply
Subscribe
p_wats
Thread Starter
#1
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
  #1
Gear Head
 
p_wats's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 39

Thread Starter
p_wats is offline
Simplify my non-computer setup (Fostex R8, Zoom R24)?

Hey guys,

I've got a small home studio that I use for demos/lo-fi recording and I'm trying to figure out if I can't make it simpler, while still getting the signal flow I'd like to have.

Currently I've got a the following:

-> Mic/Line going into a Fostex 812 mixer (FMR RNP first, depending on the mic)
-> Recorded to Fostex R8 reel to reel
-> Mixed back through the 812 so I can add send/return/insert effects, pan, etc.
-> Recorded to my trusty Zoom R24
-> Dumped into the computer later tweaks, etc.

Ideally, I'd like to avoid needing a computer until as late as possible, as recording out of the box is just more enjoyable for me (and I don't have a dedicated recording computer).

It seems to me like the combo of the R8/R24 might be overkill...would something like a single hard disk recorder with the appropriate i/o connections work better?

I love the R24 for portable, quick and dirty recording and if it had outputs for each track I'd probably have my problem solved, but alas.

Any advice without breaking the bank/resorting to all DAW-based recording?
#2
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
  #2
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class
 
chessparov's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,362

chessparov is offline
Wink

IMHO you already have a way cool hybrid set up.

FWIW one of my recording "heros", Daniel Lanois, has been using semi-pro reel to reels for audio capture for years-before dumping them into a computer. Sometimes for major artist releases.

Tony Visconti also liked to use narrow format analog (including cassette),
although he preferred to record the lead vocal on wide gauge analog or to digital.

Chris
Quote
1
p_wats
Thread Starter
#3
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
  #3
Gear Head
 
p_wats's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 39

Thread Starter
p_wats is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov View Post
IMHO you already have a way cool hybrid set up.

FWIW one of my recording "heros", Daniel Lanois, has been using semi-pro reel to reels for audio capture for years-before dumping them into a computer. Sometimes for major artist releases.

Tony Visconti also liked to use narrow format analog (including cassette),
although he preferred to record the lead vocal on wide gauge analog or to digital.

Chris
Thanks! I do like all of the gear individually, so maybe I should just see if I can make it all work well together.

Speaking of cassette I've got an awesome old Yamaha MT8X 8-track cassette recorder that is a lot of fun too...I should try to work that in. Ha.
#4
20th February 2013
Old 20th February 2013
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,181

gravyface is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_wats View Post
Thanks! I do like all of the gear individually, so maybe I should just see if I can make it all work well together.

Speaking of cassette I've got an awesome old Yamaha MT8X 8-track cassette recorder that is a lot of fun too...I should try to work that in. Ha.
Just snagged one of those off of evilBay. Going to transfer 10 years of 4-track goodness to my DAW.
p_wats
Thread Starter
#5
20th February 2013
Old 20th February 2013
  #5
Gear Head
 
p_wats's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 39

Thread Starter
p_wats is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
Just snagged one of those off of evilBay. Going to transfer 10 years of 4-track goodness to my DAW.

They are so much fun. I didn't start home recording until USB interfaces were the norm, so going back to a deck like this shakes it up nicely.

Good price on eBay?
#6
20th February 2013
Old 20th February 2013
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,181

gravyface is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_wats View Post
They are so much fun. I didn't start home recording until USB interfaces were the norm, so going back to a deck like this shakes it up nicely.

Good price on eBay?
I grew up on a Yamaha MT50 4 track, kind of disappointed that this can't track to 8 tracks concurrently, but I guess most 8 track cassettes couldn't (besides the Tascam 238).

Got it for 60 bucks, shipping is brutal, but being able to have direct outs on each channel and transfer to my DAW is priceless for me. Might even lend it out to some people in the community; saw a few ads locally for people wanting to do the same.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
studer58 / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
8
bvp663 / So much gear, so little time!
0
TheMikesmith / So many guitars, so little time!
9
Esurreal / High end
3

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.