Login / Register

mic suggestions for weak whispery vocals
New Reply
Subscribe
Isaac The Koala
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Gear interested

anyone know of a good mic that would fit a neon indian-esque, breathy/lazy/whispery vocalist? preferably under $200.
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac The Koala View Post
anyone know of a good mic that would fit a neon indian-esque, breathy/lazy/whispery vocalist? preferably under $200.
...the Recording Tools MC900 is a very nice LDC mic with an edge-terminated C12-type capsule that works well for vocalists of that style...it's available from an eBay pro-audio vendor for around $145...very similar to the more costly KEL Song Sparrow...

Sent from my SPH-M820
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Gear maniac

Hmmm...it sounds like a quiet preamp and eq might help you more than a microphone suggestion under $200.

Is the voice sibilant? If so, something dark would help like a ribbon, or dynamic like an RE-20/SM-7. If not sibilant, a large condenser microphone or a shotgun mic...Audio Technica or something.

Used microphones will be your only option staying in budget, and you might have to be pretty vigilant even finding that. Another $100-$200 will go a long way in helping you.

Maybe you should make do with what you have until you can afford a little more. I firmly believe one can make most anything work if you put your mind to it.

Best of luck!
Isaac The Koala
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Gear interested

The only mic Ive ever owned is a Rode Nt1-A and yes its sibilant. along the lines of a dynamic mic, Ive been looking at the sm7b, sm57 and beta 57.
20th February 2013
Old 20th February 2013
Lives for gear

Mics are very personnel and the room determines allot of the sound. So the same mic in 2 different rooms will sound different, when recorded with the same exact vocal. So just go with your gut and whats in your price range. you may have to buy or rent a few mics to see what works well in your space.

Any mic made for recording can capture weak whispery vocals, so take a look at whats in your price range and get one. Just look into a large diaphragm condenser mics. Neuman, Shure, AKG. These are all good mics to look into.

CJ

Mixing And Mastering Studio -Professional Mixing & Mastering Studio Providing Online And Attended Sessions.
Mixed And Mastered Best Album Of The Year By En-Sound
20th February 2013
Old 20th February 2013
Gear maniac

I almost never rep for SM57s, but they'll do the job just fine - back in my "weak, whispery vocal" salad days (before my songwriting took another direction), my SM57 + some glassy verb always sounded surprisingly appropriate. The mics have warmness around the edges, but also plenty of clarity.

Last edited by vizcities; 20th February 2013 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: Grammar neuroses.
21st February 2013
Old 21st February 2013
Gear addict

There's a post by 'Tubrojets' in this forum (under 'if you liked Little Blondie miss...' - I began that post) of soft guitar and flute using a Wildwood Dreamland mic ($200 from Odyssey Pro Sound) - you could listen there and see if it suits you. I really like that mic - it was a big surprise musically.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search