VOLUME (is low) :>
Indianadave
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Gear interested

VOLUME (is low) :>

Hey all- I've been working on a little home studio rig but ive run into a little bit of a quality barrier.

Heres the rig:
ART dual channel pre (the cheap one at around $70usd)
AT 2035 condenser
AKG c2000b condenser

I run the pre straight into the computer from the mics in a separate room.

I've minimalized noise by padding the closet with the mics in it but my main problem now is volume! Even though the Preamp is raised to nearly max gain. I raise it until the distortion becomes noticeable then remove it in EQ with a visual mixer- i cut the 20k+ frequencies and the -50 and that seems to remove the majority of it.

Have a listen! (disclaimer: itll be low volume :> dont immediately turn your comp off without adjusting your volume settings or youll blow an O ring.)

SoundClick artist: Dave Butcher - Very drone oriented acoustic guitar with subtle cello accompaniment.

i'd love to be able to record with greater clarity and volume- is it my dirty power supply+ cheap preamp thats doing this to me?

Thanks in advance!
-dave
Indianadave
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Gear interested

Maybe a noisegate? Any suggestions on a good reaper noisegate?

114 views zero replies... I figured this was a pretty straightforward post.
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

Distortion cannot be EQed out.

The tone of your tracks seem decent. Input volume is tough to judge when listened to a mixed track, but if you are in need of a louder end result a limiter on your master bus at mixdown will help get your mix louder.

Not sure what you mean by "dirty power", but if your gear is actually working that is a good sign.

Are you using the computer's built-in sound card? That may be somewhat problematic. If this is the case have you considered an external audiop interface?

Recording is a closet is not a good idea; no matter how much "padding" you put in it your tracks will almost always suffer from unnatural accumulation in the low frequencies. Your guitar does seem to have a certain "woofiness" to it.

All that being said, after a quick casual listen the tracks don't sound half bad at all. Maybe a bit more practice mixing, specifically with regard to use of compression and limiting may get you closer to your goal.
Indianadave
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Gear interested

Thanks man appreciate it: I call it dirty power because i have no power conditioner.
I havent worked with compression or limiting at all Maybe i should do some research there

A friend of mine recently gave me a nicer sound card that im using- thought i forget what it is
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search