mxl 2003a vs v67?
New Reply
Subscribe
rekwon
14th February 2013
Old 14th February 2013
Gear maniac

mxl 2003a vs v67?

I've done a couple searches and nothing has come up comparing these two mics in stock form. Actually,with all the hype from a couple years ago,its kinda interesting that there's no real reviews of the 2003a,or comparisons to other mics besides the shootout thread on here. And honestly it seems like joly was really influencing peoples opinions a lot. Regardless,I ordered a cr24 the other day,but I'm still wondering how it really compares to the v67, and if the v6 would be better..or better for what I do. I'm an mc w a midrange voice,tend to deliver my vocals pretty loud. I know they're two different mics w distinctive sounds, but is there anyone that feels either Mic is signifacantly better than the other,or at least better for this application? I'd really appreciate some advice,thanks.
14th February 2013
Old 14th February 2013
Lives for gear

The 2003a is technically supposed to be a better mic than the V67, as it's EQ'd with a flatter EQ curve. However, to be honest with you, I still think the V67 is a fuller, warmer sounding mic and just overall better sounding to my ears. The 2003a I had for a brief period of time sounded pretty thin on vocals. Decent on acoustic instruments though.

Audiobook for my suspense novel, THE DEVICE. 4-Stars!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Device/dp/...s=kurt+feldner

Music Sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQSESRzhkkw
14th February 2013
Old 14th February 2013
Gear addict

Send a message via ICQ to Gretsch 6120
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
The 2003a is technically supposed to be a better mic than the V67, as it's EQ'd with a flatter EQ curve. However, to be honest with you, I still think the V67 is a fuller, warmer sounding mic and just overall better sounding to my ears. The 2003a I had for a brief period of time sounded pretty thin on vocals. Decent on acoustic instruments though.
I’ve had both (the cr24 equivalent to the 2003a and the v67 respectfully). I liked both for what each offered, but I think this is a fair and accurate assessment for the most part. Actually, I think they’re different enough mics they could complement one another.
rekwon
14th February 2013
Old 14th February 2013
Gear maniac

Interesting...yea I was actually thinking about a warmer colored Mic like the v67 for main vocals,and a brighter,thinner one for adlibs and choruses. I appreciate the feed,thanks..anyone else that's used both mics?
14th February 2013
Old 14th February 2013
Gear addict

I really wouldn’t consider the v67 to be a particularly warm mic, and of course, “warm” is a relative term. It’s a bright and colored mic, for sure. It’s not very detailed, and in fact, it gets a bit fuzzy in the upper frequencies from what I recall. It’s not particularly cold and sterile either, and it does an adequate job of trying to emulate a tube mic…you know, for a cheap Chinese solidstate LDC….it can be a very useful mic....when I bought mine in 2000 for around $300 it was the best value going at the time....not so much anymore, even at $99, but it's still a good mic at that price IMO.

The 2003a is not what I would necessarily consider thin either. It is flat. It does seem to be more sensitive to the pre its paired with, and maybe that has something to do with other users’ qualifying it as “thin.” I didn’t really care for it too much through my Tampa, for example, but when plugged into the SP TB-1 and especially the Presonus Tube Pre it sounds really nice (full, robust, and yet neutral). It’s not my go-to vocal mic or anything. I have much more expensive and high end mics than the MXL CR-24, but I wouldn’t hesitate to use it if that’s what the track called for. The thing I liked about it was its neutrality and the fact that the top end wasn’t so much rolled off as it was simply not hyped.

If I could only have one of the two I’d probably opt for the 2003a/CR-24 because it’s a more neutral mic that would probably take EQ much better than the v67. My v67 never liked EQ much. I think the v67 is more of a one-trick pony specialty mic, whereas the 2003a/CR-24 is more of a utility mic.

Chris
14th February 2013
Old 14th February 2013
Gear addict

14th February 2013
Old 14th February 2013
Lives for gear

I just used a v67g that I modded on some vocals I did and it sounded pretty good to me.
14th February 2013
Old 14th February 2013
Gear maniac

@gretsch-- thank u for the detailed reply man,I really appreciate that,a lot of good info. But yea,Idk..just tested the cr out and it sounds really nice thru my little vtb1. I actually compared it to my oktava mk-319..and it sounds noticeably better imo. It's louder for one..and seems to sound more crisp and clear. The oktava always has sounded muffled,and kinda like I'm standing at a distance. The cr seems to be much more in your face.
14th February 2013
Old 14th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekwon View Post
@gretsch-- thank u for the detailed reply man,I really appreciate that,a lot of good info. But yea,Idk..just tested the cr out and it sounds really nice thru my little vtb1. I actually compared it to my oktava mk-319..and it sounds noticeably better imo. It's louder for one..and seems to sound more crisp and clear. The oktava always has sounded muffled,and kinda like I'm standing at a distance. The cr seems to be much more in your face.
Yep, I know what you’re describing with the 319. I have two 219s—one modded by Michael Joly and one stock…..I don’t even have to ask if your 319 is modded because based on what you described it’s obvious. Some of the best money I’ve spent in my studio was allocated to modding the 219. Believe me, it is a night and day difference. The 219/319 has so much potential, but some things need to be done to it to really bring it to life. Given that you have that mic already, my suggestion is your next investment be in getting that mic modded. You won’t regret it.

I’m glad you’re getting a solid sound out of the MXL. Neither mic in question is bad…like I said, they’re just different.
rekwon
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Gear maniac

I was thinking about the sitler mod...really I coulda done that w the money I spent on the mxl,the whole idea made me kinda nervous though. The 319 mod is still an option I guess,but I'll probably sell it and look into getting the mxl modded down the road. Anyone know of any more affordable 2003a mods? All I'm seeing is like $400 mods by joly and jj,at that price it kinda defeats the purpose of buying a low budget Mic to get modded. Might as well just buy a $600 Mic brand new. I'm also just thinking about copping an sm7b w a gap pre73 for future projects after I finish recording this ep I'm working on. Thanks everyone for all the advice.
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

Rekwon,

Forget about Joly. Bill Sitler can do your 319 mod for 139 bucks. He did mine and it turned it from a muffled stinker into a worldclass mic. Definately get that thing modded. It's money much better spent than using it on crappy MXL mics. I still hold to my opinion that the MXL 2003a isn't anything to write home to mom about. Might as well get the Cad M179 over the 2003a. It's got a stronger midrange.

A modded 319, however, is.
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekwon View Post
I was thinking about the sitler mod...really I coulda done that w the money I spent on the mxl,the whole idea made me kinda nervous though. The 319 mod is still an option I guess,but I'll probably sell it and look into getting the mxl modded down the road. Anyone know of any more affordable 2003a mods? All I'm seeing is like $400 mods by joly and jj,at that price it kinda defeats the purpose of buying a low budget Mic to get modded. Might as well just buy a $600 Mic brand new. I'm also just thinking about copping an sm7b w a gap pre73 for future projects after I finish recording this ep I'm working on. Thanks everyone for all the advice.
For my money, I’d get the 319 modded by one of these guys—whether it’s Joly, JJ Audio, Sitler, etc. Remember, the 2003a is already supposed to be a factory mod-like mic anyway. Your money would go much further and be put to much better use by modding the 319. The components in the 319 are much better than those used in any standard Chinese manufactured LDC; thus, the Oktava mics in general provide a superior modding platform and will offer you much greater returns on your modding investment/s IME. I would just leave the 2003a as is, and use it as a utility mic. I seriously doubt you’ll be reaching for it much as a vocal mic once you get the 319 modded.

Hey, thanks for dropping Sitler’s name. I’ve never heard of him, but if this guy is providing good mods at reasonable prices I’m all in. Michael Joly did great work for me, and I have no complaints. That said, my mic was modded back in 05. His prices have jumped significantly since that time. I’m not in a position to say whether his prices are reasonable, fair, or inflated, but just like everyone else, I’m a free agent who’s on the constant look out for good bargains.

Chris
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

Bill Sitler does amazing work at great prices. He turned my Oktava 319 and MK012 into worldclass mics for half the price of the other guys. Not to bash Joly and JJ Audio, as they both do stellar work. JJ Audio's DMP3 preamp mod I own is pretty worldclass as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretsch 6120 View Post
For my money, I’d get the 319 modded by one of these guys—whether it’s Joly, JJ Audio, Sitler, etc. Remember, the 2003a is already supposed to be a factory mod-like mic anyway. Your money would go much further and be put to much better use by modding the 319. The components in the 319 are much better than those used in any standard Chinese manufactured LDC; thus, the Oktava mics in general provide a superior modding platform and will offer you much greater returns on your modding investment/s IME. I would just leave the 2003a as is, and use it as a utility mic. I seriously doubt you’ll be reaching for it much as a vocal mic once you get the 319 modded.

Hey, thanks for dropping Sitler’s name. I’ve never heard of him, but if this guy is providing good mods at reasonable prices I’m all in. Michael Joly did great work for me, and I have no complaints. That said, my mic was modded back in 05. His prices have jumped significantly since that time. I’m not in a position to say whether his prices are reasonable, fair, or inflated, but just like everyone else, I’m a free agent who’s on the constant look out for good bargains.

Chris
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

Sitler also sells a mod kit if you can solder. That's the route I did. It was pretty easy to do, fun, and well worth it. A modded MK 319 is leagues better than any MXL mic I've heard (but I'll admit, I haven't played around with their Genesis or Revelation yet).

I still have my MXL 2003a, but I never use it. It's not bad. It's just not as good as so many other mics that I have. And it's more preamp dependent than any other mic I've owned too. Mainly because it's got a strange harshness in the upper "air" frequencies. Not really hyped, but more of a metallic zing. It's hard to describe. A lot of preamps won't pass this through, so the mic sounds great with them. But on a nice clean preamp you'll hear it, and it's not pretty.

My modded Oktava's however are my most commonly used mics. They've got a great amount of clarity and warmth. They can be a bit dark at times, but they take EQ so well, that that is rarely a problem. Plus it's nice to have both dark and bright mics to control how much certain instruments stand out in certain frequencies. Do a bit of mixing at the microphone, you know?
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

Silent,

What preamp are you using with your modded 319? I've discovered that I like mine with a good clean, transparent preamp because the character of the 319 is so terrific on it's own. I find it doesn't need any additional coloring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sound View Post
Sitler also sells a mod kit if you can solder. That's the route I did. It was pretty easy to do, fun, and well worth it. A modded MK 319 is leagues better than any MXL mic I've heard (but I'll admit, I haven't played around with their Genesis or Revelation yet).

I still have my MXL 2003a, but I never use it. It's not bad. It's just not as good as so many other mics that I have. And it's more preamp dependent than any other mic I've owned too. Mainly because it's got a strange harshness in the upper "air" frequencies. Not really hyped, but more of a metallic zing. It's hard to describe. A lot of preamps won't pass this through, so the mic sounds great with them. But on a nice clean preamp you'll hear it, and it's not pretty.

My modded Oktava's however are my most commonly used mics. They've got a great amount of clarity and warmth. They can be a bit dark at times, but they take EQ so well, that that is rarely a problem. Plus it's nice to have both dark and bright mics to control how much certain instruments stand out in certain frequencies. Do a bit of mixing at the microphone, you know?
rekwon
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Gear maniac

I think for right now I'm gonna go ahead and sell the 319.. I just got it a few weeks ago for like $150... Got the mxl for $70,which was a real good deal. Pretty low on $ for the next couple weeks now,so I kinda gotta sell the 319. And since my plan was to make this ep somewhat Lo fi sounding,I think the cr24 might actually work out pretty well. Was thinking it could give me something pretty close to the sound I'm looking for using it w the vtb1 tube effect everyone hates so much,lol. But after everything I've heard in this thread,i'm pretty sure that in a couple months I'll buy another 319 and get the $150 sitler mod. I just had no idea how wack it sounds for vocals in stock form,that sucks. Good to know that for the most part people seem to at least think the cr24/2003a is on pretty even ground the v67g...definitely sounds like the v6 might accentuate the wrong parts of my voice though. BTW,someone said something about some pre's not passing through the shortcomings of the cr's sound..would the vtb1 be one of these maybe,w a little of the tube effect for color/ distortion? I know its not a great pre by any means...but it seems to be reasonably highly regarded,for what it is. Thanks again for all the help.
rekwon
16th February 2013
Old 16th February 2013
Gear maniac

For some reason I don't at all understand, none of the spec lists for the 2003a include details on the lowcut switch. I found a couple for the original 2003 that says the low cut was 150 Hz. Is this the same on the updated model?
16th February 2013
Old 16th February 2013
Gear Head

I had an MXL V67i and stopped using it because it picks up so much of the room you may as well treat it like an omni. My friend's V67g is even worse. Even when it's right up on the source, room reflections cheapen the track.

In a related problem, it's VERY difficult to get the V67 tracks to sit forward in a mix. We EQ'd the hell out of voices and instruments and they always sounded distant and got lost in the back.

Just for comparison, the 990 (nor any other mic we've used) doesn't have those problems. It's very "forward" and is much more flattering to our voices than a lot of mics we've tried.
rekwon
17th February 2013
Old 17th February 2013
Gear maniac

Ya know,this is something I noticed on YouTube w people using the v67g. Most of what I've heard sounds absolutely horrible. Caused a lot of confusion when I saw certain people calling the v67 the best low end condensor. That sucks you guys had to go through all that,but its good to hear on my end...saves me some headaches. especially since my main consideration was the 9090,a rebranded v67i. Thanks man...considering the 2003a is supposed to be considerably better than the 990 as well,I don't think I'll be having any problems. Time to quit talking and record some music ,lol.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search