Investing in DI box - preamp - a/d converter
elduderino
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Gear interested

Investing in DI box - preamp - a/d converter

Hi all,

I know nothing about outboard gear. I've been recording at home using a mbox mini, pro tools and Di'ing guitar and bass (I live in a shared house at the moment). It's working fine and I've been able to get some satisfactory results. I've been doing a lot of reading about outboard Di's, pre-amps and A/d converters. There seems to be so much out there.....I don't really know what to go for. I know in theory this would be the chain:

DI box - preamp - a/d converter - computer

Can anyone suggest a decent setup here.....I.e. make a suggestion for each of the components. My budget is not fixed at all but I do have in mind that I don't want to fork out for the very best - I just want decent gear - lets say i've got 2k to spend but that can be flexible. The other thing that is important....and I don't know if it's possible, i'd want this setup to be flexible to allow me to use it for bass, guitar and vox (so thinking i probably need different di's for bass and guitar and also a different pre for vox - or is there any that do all of this - maybe a channel strip would be the way to go? Something like this? Universal Audio LA-610 Mk II | Sweetwater.com but no a/d conversion here)

Also as an aside I have to further queries relating to this.1) I don't think my mbox mini has digital connectivity. I'm not sure if i'd be able to plug the a/d converter in to it. 2) what's the score with D/A converters? Do i need to invest in that as well?

Thanks
10th February 2013
Old 10th February 2013
Gear Head

Countryman DI ? to a BAE 312
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search