Looking to Upgrade.. Mic? Pre? Comp?
Crowzfeet
31st January 2013
Old 31st January 2013
Gear interested

Looking to Upgrade.. Mic? Pre? Comp?

I'm looking to upgrade my main signal chain right now.
Currently, all I'm using is

MXL990/SM57 > Presonus Firestudio Project

I don't have any outboard gear or anything.

I'm essentially looking to upgrade my sound, because it definitely has room for upgrade, I know.
I hate my mic, and I hate my pres, and I would love to get light compression going into my computer.
I'm looking to spend less than $1000.
Should I do a minor upgrade and just get a better mic, an outboard pre and compressor?
Or should I just upgrade one piece of equipment with something nice?
Thanks
31st January 2013
Old 31st January 2013
Gear interested

I just got the new Lindell pre and comp 500 series. That with a lunchbox might barely go over your budget if it does at all!
Crowzfeet
31st January 2013
Old 31st January 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon mitts View Post
I just got the new Lindell pre and comp 500 series. That with a lunchbox might barely go over your budget if it does at all!
Would you say that the Lindell pre would be a major upgrade from my interface's stock pres? Also, what are your thoughts on the compressor?
31st January 2013
Old 31st January 2013
Gear interested

I have never used the Presonus Firestudio, so i can't attest to the pre quality personally, but sounds like they are decent sounding based off reviews. I just recently got the Lindell 6X-500 preamp, so i am still trying it out. Have my first session with it on Sunday!
However, I would say it would be a step up definitely and pretty clean sounding. If you wanted a more affordable, colored preamp for the 500 series (or stand alone), the Golden Age Project 573 pre is around the same price.
The Lindell compressor is pretty nice too at that price and you can use it pretty lightly going into your DAW.
The nice thing about a lunchbox is that after your initial investment, you can slowly pick up/ trade out units that are relatively affordable as time goes on.
Anyway these are just my thoughts. There are so many different routes to take. I have been doing a fair amount of research lately and wanted to share.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search