Behringer MX9000 pres vs M-Audio Octane pres
Old 31st January 2013
Gear interested

Behringer MX9000 pres vs M-Audio Octane pres

Hey, guys. A few friends of mine and myself are thinking of starting a project studio, and along with that we've been looking at buying a console. We've found a used Behringer MX9000 for a good price, but I'm worried about the quality of the preamps.

I've also been thinking about purchasing an M-Audio Octane, and my basic question is this: if we were to get the console, would it still be worth buying the Octane? Would there be an improvement in fidelity, or would I be buying 8 pres of almost identical sonic quality (or worse, which I doubt)? This question also applies to other 8-channel preamps in the same price range (I don't necessarily HAVE to get the Octane, it could be a different 8-channel pre in the same price class, but the Octane is what I've been looking at).

My knowledge of electronics and other important aspects in deciding this is pretty limited, and I still have a lot to learn, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out! Thanks!
Old 1st February 2013
Gear interested

Hey, I don't mean to be an annoyance, but if someone could offer some advice I would really appreciate it! Thank you!
Old 1st February 2013
Gear addict

The MX9000 is a good board to learn on, if you are just getting started, the Octane would be a step up in terms of sound fidelity, at least according to the spec's.
Haven't used it myself and wouldn't either, I'm done with M-Audio.
Use the board to track all your electronic keyboards and drum machines, with some FX and compression after the sound source, and it will sound quite good. Use the Octane for tracking Vocals, mic's on guitars and DI Bass. Use two main outs of the board into 2 channels of the pre and then pre out into whatever mixdown/mastering device for even better sound and balance. It will help make it all sound like it was tracked through the Octane and a higher quality console. You can probably get some pretty good results:
enough for a project studio, and if you're any good maybe some airplay.
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear
Please, please, please...
Stay away from the MX-9000. Aside from the (notoriously) noisy pre's, they are awful in terms of reliability. I was working at a GC when they first came out; we had to go through five units to keep one on the floor - four of the five went belly up. One even started smoking!

And it's not just me:

This guy's power supply blew up -
(help) behringer mx9000 ps revisited - Home Recording forums

This guy only has 9 channels that fully work -
Modding a Behringer MX9000 - is it worth it? - Home Recording forums

and this guy pretty much tells it like it is -
Opinions on Behringer Eurodesk MX9000? - Home Recording forums

BTW, I'm not hating on Behringer - their XL2442 is a reliable unit (and has decent pre's). The (older) MX-8000 had the same noisy pre's as the 9K, but at least would run a couple years before acting up.
The 9000 was designed with only one goal in mind: to be the least expensive 24-channel 8-bus on the market. On that count (at least) they succeeded.
Old 1st February 2013
Gear interested

Thank you for your responses! I really do appreciate it. I'm starting to be more critical of the board, and I'm not sure if we should get it or not at this point, but it seems like my buddies are still thinking it's a good idea. I'm not totally convinced that it's a bad idea, but I'm not sure...

Do you guys think we'd be better off using our interfaces with some $500-range 8-in preamps, or going with the board? The board offers us the option of having headphone mixes, and we'd have a lot more inputs as well.. I'm quite conflicted. Can anyone offer some sage advice that they wish they'd gotten when they were just starting out?
Old 2nd February 2013
serious amateur

The answer to your question really depends on what you are trying to record. Is it a band tracking all together at once? Or are you going to be building the production a track at a time with overdubs? A little more info will help people zero in on some recommendations.
Old 2nd February 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by omtayslick View Post
The answer to your question really depends on what you are trying to record. Is it a band tracking all together at once? Or are you going to be building the production a track at a time with overdubs? A little more info will help people zero in on some recommendations.
Good suggestion. We would like to be able to record a whole group simultaneously, if possible, which makes having a lot of inputs more desirable. Unfortunately, we're a bunch of poor college students without a lot of money to burn, hahaha. Then again, though, it seems like nobody really does...

We've also found a Tascam DM24 for sale, which seems like it might be another good option..

And I've also presented the idea of getting a Soundcraft board in the $800 range as well. Would a brand new Soundcraft in this price range beat out a used, older console that would go for more money than the Soundcraft would if it was new?

So, we have a few different ideas laid out, and they all seem to have a lot of pros and cons to think about... any insight would be really helpful. I appreciate all of your help.
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear
I had the MX9000 for over 5 years (bought it used). The only problem (which seems to be quite common) was with the connectors which connect the ribbon cables to the PCB. This causes the channels to stop working. All I had to do was to open the desk once or twice a year, disconnect those connectors, clean them and reconnect them. Than everything started working again.
I have to say that the desk is really quiet. People who say that it's noisy probably don't compare it with large format analog consoles. Pre amps can get a bit noisy if you crank the gain to the full, but through 90% of their gain range the noise isn't noticeable.
Now I have a much larger and more expensive console and while I don't regret the upgrade, I can say that the MX9000 had some nice sonic characteristics and I don't regret using it. There are certainly worse sounding consoles.

If you need just some mic pres, you might be able to get something a bit better for the same money, if you'd like to have a mixer, I can certainly say that it's next to impossible to get a better console of this size for the money they go for now. Once, I've opened the PSU to check if there is any dust and I can say that it is really well made. The console is made of standard through hole components (not SMD), so if anything has to be fixed, it shouldn't be much of a problem besides the fact that you have to remove a lot of knobs and open the bottom of the console. If you want, I can send you some tracks I've recorded and mixed on the MX9000.
Old 3rd February 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetam View Post
I had the MX9000 for over 5 years (bought it used). The only problem (which seems to be quite common) was with the connectors which connect the ribbon cables to the PCB. This causes the channels to stop working. All I had to do was to open the desk once or twice a year, disconnect those connectors, clean them and reconnect them. Than everything started working again.
I have to say that the desk is really quiet. People who say that it's noisy probably don't compare it with large format analog consoles. Pre amps can get a bit noisy if you crank the gain to the full, but through 90% of their gain range the noise isn't noticeable.
Now I have a much larger and more expensive console and while I don't regret the upgrade, I can say that the MX9000 had some nice sonic characteristics and I don't regret using it. There are certainly worse sounding consoles.

If you need just some mic pres, you might be able to get something a bit better for the same money, if you'd like to have a mixer, I can certainly say that it's next to impossible to get a better console of this size for the money they go for now. Once, I've opened the PSU to check if there is any dust and I can say that it is really well made. The console is made of standard through hole components (not SMD), so if anything has to be fixed, it shouldn't be much of a problem besides the fact that you have to remove a lot of knobs and open the bottom of the console. If you want, I can send you some tracks I've recorded and mixed on the MX9000.
That's really comforting to hear! Thank you for your input. I get paranoid about making big decisions like this, so this was comforting. And yeah, I would totally love to hear whatever you've used the MX9000 on! I'll send you a private message in case you don't see this. Thanks a lot.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search