Mixing filtered basslines on hip hop tracks
kevgees
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
Gear addict

Mixing filtered basslines on hip hop tracks

When I filter my basslines and try to mix them, they always sound muddy, especially when I try to sit it n the mix with my kicks. Any advice? Should I eq and compress the bassline first then filter it or vice versa?
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
Gear interested

How are you filtering them? If your running them through a low pass filter, they're going to sound somewhat muffled...
kevgees
19th January 2013
Old 19th January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgobrown72 View Post
How are you filtering them? If your running them through a low pass filter, they're going to sound somewhat muffled...
Yeah, I'm running them through a lpf. Is there another way to do it?
20th January 2013
Old 20th January 2013
Find the fundamental frequency of the kick. I personally like my kicks to thump between 80-100hz but I rarely mix beats/hip hop so you may feel differently. Anyway, once you find the fundamental of the kick, where it really, really thumps, cut a narrow band at that frequency out of the bassline.

Alternately, sidechain the bass to the kick, but I've never actually had this work in a way that I like.
bitewounds
20th January 2013
Old 20th January 2013
bitewounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevgees View Post
When I filter my basslines and try to mix them, they always sound muddy, especially when I try to sit it n the mix with my kicks. Any advice? Should I eq and compress the bassline first then filter it or vice versa?
Bass always needs work. It depends heavily. What kind of sound are you using, a synth (if yes, what type of a waveform) or a bass sample library / a real bass, or are you filtering down a chopped sample? And what are you going for, is the bass supposed to carry the rest of the beat like an "invisible" foundation which one would only miss if it wasn't there, or is the bass right at the center of attention like "boom, check out that bass line". Questionsssss...
20th January 2013
Old 20th January 2013
Hipass at 60hz and call it a day
Sent from my SGH-T989
kevgees
15th March 2013
Old 15th March 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitewounds View Post
Bass always needs work. It depends heavily. What kind of sound are you using, a synth (if yes, what type of a waveform) or a bass sample library / a real bass, or are you filtering down a chopped sample? And what are you going for, is the bass supposed to carry the rest of the beat like an "invisible" foundation which one would only miss if it wasn't there, or is the bass right at the center of attention like "boom, check out that bass line". Questionsssss...
Filtering down a chopped sample and I want it to blend in with the rest of the rest of the beat but stand out a little bit
12th April 2013
Old 12th April 2013
Pragmatic Snob

Kinda old thread, but here goes:

1. In all likelihood, this is way more about transients and balances than about eq and frequencies

2. In all likelihood, it's hard (or impossible) for you to hear that because of the acoustics of your room

3. I will gladly sell you one of the fattest compressors known to man that makes bass sit much more easily in a mix and be more audible with less level, BUT

4. you shouldn't buy any such device until you fix #2 and can hear #1

Gregory Scott - ubk
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search