Headphones for mixing: studio or hifi?
dvorkru
11th January 2013
Old 11th January 2013
Gear interested

Headphones for mixing: studio or hifi?

I'm about to make an order to thomann with some friends... and I was about to buy some new headphones. I have some simple Sennheiser HD215's right now. When I use them for producing, I only use them for arranging and composing, not mixing, because I've had a bad experience from previous attempts. Everything sounded pretty tight on hphones but the overall mix lacked balance on better speakers. The headphones masked mistakes. Not surprising as these are not designed for this purpose.

Thing is, I'm lately forced to produce only during nighttime lately, and I'm seeking a solution for the problem. So I need a new set of them, with the general purpose of producing on them but with the ability of doing a decent mix. But when I have entered the headphone section of online shops like Thomann, there's the choice between studio and hifi headphones.

Looks like I'm looking for a flat spectrum response, so at first sight the hifi might be the most suitable. Seems to me that studio headphones are more oriented towards recording musicians, isolating from the enviroment...

What do I need? I'm looking for some low end headphones on the 100-180Eur range?

I've found a few studio headphones that look fine so far:
Sennheisers hd380 pro Sennheiser HD-380 Pro - Thomann Cyberstore Espa
AKG K-172 HD AKG K-172 HD - Thomann Cyberstore Espa
AKG K-272 HD AKG K-272 HD - Thomann Cyberstore Espa
Beyerdynamic DT-150 Beyerdynamic DT-150 - Thomann Cyberstore Espa
Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro - Thomann Cyberstore Espa
11th January 2013
Old 11th January 2013
I like my ultrasone 650s, but you are always going to have translation issues with headphones due to head related transfer, etc. The 770s are very useable too. They are very comfortable for long periods of wear.
11th January 2013
Old 11th January 2013
Gear maniac

I use K-171s exclusively for focussing Bottom-End, K-601s if I'm mixing late at night and don't want to annoy neighbours but I would never hand in a mix done exclusively on headphones...

DT-770s are very good, too... we use them for recording and I really like their sound.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search