£500 I have to spend...
New Reply
Subscribe
Sammm
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear interested

£500 I have to spend...

So basically have come into £500 to spend on my "studio". I am in the process of acoustically treating my room, so acoustic treatment is already being covered. At the moment my "studio" (although I am not really sure it really merits that title) Consists of a cheap skytec PA system,
Diamond 8.1 pro active monitors,
Sony mdr-7506 headphones,
A yamaha 01x,
some crappy dell pcrunning cubase 5 on xp,
an akg perception 220,
a roland bass cube amp 100 watt,
an assortment of bass/electric guitars and a yamaha electric drum kit,
A yamaha AN1X,
an old amp to power the pa,
so many cheap cables I think they could stretch around the world.
So I was thinking what to upgrade, whether it was worth shelling out for the yamaha hs80m's or upgrading the monitoring system somehow, or buying a single avantone mixcube, or something else different entirely, like saving up for a macbook or buying a new interface or purchasing a sound package such as ni komplete 8. I am open to your wildest suggestions
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear maniac

What bothers you the most about your current setup?
Sammm
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear interested

Probably the fact that the interface I am using throws a wobbly sometimes and that i keep getting crashes in cubase (not sure if they are related).
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Maybe this is as good a time as ever to invest in a better interface.

Do you seek tips and tricks on how to use FL Studio, Bitwig and other big name plugins (soon); no bullshit style? Come on over! http://goo.gl/jt5lQc. Knowledge bombs in 5 minutes or less.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear maniac

There's so many goodies out there for £500.

What styles of music do you play/record/make?

What do you already have?

Everything I said is just my 0.02 cents and not to be taken too seriously! I don't mean any harm, even if I inadvertently caused some!
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear addict

Sounds like you need all sorts doesn't it!

eBay will be your friend. I'd be thinking some Alienware computing and a new interface really. Reaper could be worth a look it doesn't cost much if you're not making a lot of money.
Sammm
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear interested

I mainly do mixing in my studio and it tends to be classic band set up of drums guitars keys bass and vocals, occasionally a mandolin, but I might start to get into making some electronic music soon
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear maniac

If mixing is your main thing and you're happy with your speakers, I'd go down the computer route as well... that way, you're prepared for electronic music, too.
Sammm
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear interested

tc_live I have a licence for Cubase 6 and the disks, but I was unsure whether it would work properly on xp so I asked for the Cubase 5 discs as well, so I have a daw sorted, thanks for the suggestion though. What I really want to do is save up for a macbook, but I shall see what the future brings and if I really need one, but I thought that maybe upgrading my monitoring for the moment, whether it is really worth shelling out for another set of monitors if they are only going to be £500/pair.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear addict

Looking at your setup I would state :

Computer
Audio Interface

You will notice a massive change using Win 7 on a core I7 or If Mac is your game then a similar spec macbook.

Prices will be dropping quickly on the 2011 then 2012 refurbs or even new as the first 2013 models have just been released

You can run it as a dual boot with windows bootcamp so you can go into Windows for old projects etc.

Otherwise next is audio interface

You should notice a large change in speed of workflow as well as sound quality by looking at these two items first.

This is the core of your setup after all and as such should be built strong
The above "words" are the ramblings of a depraved megalomaniac.Any similarity to normal communication is a hallucination on the part of the reader.Replying to this post will result in your Wife, family and posessions including any audio equipment you may own becoming the property of funkynuts.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammm View Post
tc_live I have a licence for Cubase 6 and the disks, but I was unsure whether it would work properly on xp so I asked for the Cubase 5 discs as well, so I have a daw sorted, thanks for the suggestion though. What I really want to do is save up for a macbook, but I shall see what the future brings and if I really need one, but I thought that maybe upgrading my monitoring for the moment, whether it is really worth shelling out for another set of monitors if they are only going to be £500/pair.
Cubase 6 will not work with XP.
I ended up upgrading to Windows 7.
I'd suggest starting with your computer and interface as well.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search