Multiple Mics Throughout Song and...... EVOLUTION
NAJ89
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear maniac

Multiple Mics Throughout Song and...... EVOLUTION

Does anyone here record vocals, or anything else for that matter, with multiple mics and change mic levels or use different mics for the different parts?

Lately, for the project I'm doing, I've been recording each take with three or four mics and recording to separate tracks and then using 1 or more of the mics for the verse and then switch to either a different mic(s) and/or adding a new into the mix. I'm been trying to make the song evolve in someway or another. Most of the time I don't use all of the mics, but being as these songs have a lot of space and are kinda psychedelic, they lend themselves to experimenting.

Are there any similar techniques that any of you use with vocals or anything else? I usually multi mic bass amps as well as running a di, but I usually use only one mic, maybe with or without the di and once I get a good sound, I tend not to change it, although I've sometimes enjoyed micing and distorting or compressing the **** out of a dynamic mic (such as a 57) and using during a rock breakdown.

I've also went back after the fact, since I have only 4 ins, and recorded specific samples for snare and sometimes kick that I use on very specific parts such as super spaced out snare drum sections or really distorted sections. This is the only way I use drum samples now, unless I'm programming beats.

Does anybody else have any techniques using multi mics or similar ideas. We're doing a lot of psychedelic tracks so any new ideas are welcomed. I know this was a long, rambling post so any of you that stuck it out, thanks.

NAJ
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear interested

I read somewhere that this idea was used for Heros by David Bowie, switching to a further mic for each verse, introducing more room sound along the way.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheenyrock View Post
I read somewhere that this idea was used for Heros by David Bowie, switching to a further mic for each verse, introducing more room sound along the way.
I vaguely remember an interview with tony visconti where he said he had gate on each mic with the thresholds higher as the got further away, that way as bowie sang a louder part of the song more room came through
NAJ89
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear maniac

Awesome thanks for the replies, I'll give those ideas a try.

NAJ
NAJ89
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear maniac

Does anybody know of any other techniques?

NAJ
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear nut

just break all the rules?

sing into the wrong side of a cardioid condensor.

set your gain to max and record with clipping and all (this genuinely does work reasonably on DI'd guitar funnily enough... i like it any way, you have to turn it way down after but it works)

Set up a mic in a room/corridor adjacent to your tracking room and let it record that room while your in the other.

find the worst sounding room you can (the more flutter echo the better)

zoom right in on the waves and see if you can nudge you close mic to be as close to nulling with the room as you can, does that sound good? bad? was there a point in between that sounded better?

i'm just starting to get silly now, but basically do whatever comes into your head and don't question it till you hear the results.

Experiments will always give results, they could be the results you want and they could not, but the thrill is in the chase...

Check out brian eno's "Oblique Strategies" they could help...
NAJ89
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear maniac

Thanks a lot gannonsamuel. I wasn't trying to avoid the chase, just trying to find new ideas to help continue the chase. I like the idea of using a poor sounding room to my advantage. I'll definitely check out "Oblique Strategies" seeing as how I've been listening to "Drums Between the Bells" almost religiously for the past week.

I've even been experimenting with a seashell, pieces of paper, homemade reverb "chambers." The "chambers" are anything from a six foot tall pipe to a piece of an old sheet metal roof to filing cabinets, everything in between.

I definitely got off topic, but I guess its ok seeing as how I'm not highjacking it from anyone. So on that note:
Does anybody have any other psychedelic recording or mixing techniques?
Thanks again from the replies.

NAJ
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search