Harrison Mixbus $40, worth it?
New Reply
Subscribe
PapaSon
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

Harrison Mixbus $40, worth it?

I've had my eye on the development of the Harrison Mixbus, and now at audio midi, they are offering it for $40 as a no brainer deal. Of course, no matter how cheap, its no good if it ain't useful to make better music. Anyone use it and can recommend it for mixing?
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSon View Post
I've had my eye on the development of the Harrison Mixbus, and now at audio midi, they are offering it for $40 as a no brainer deal. Of course, no matter how cheap, its no good if it ain't useful to make better music. Anyone use it and can recommend it for mixing?
I bought it and it was the best $40 I ever spent. I played with it for 1 day and I will now be using it strictly for mixing. It sounds really good with the stock eq/comp and saturation, you really have to but a few tracks through it to believe it.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

yes
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Should be an interesting thread. I've had my eye on this as well. It's not the money, $40... but the time. One more item to wonder about trying, or learning the work flow. I've bought too many 'no brainer' items and then didn't use them. (enough)... But I have followed it for at least two years now...
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddle View Post
Should be an interesting thread. I've had my eye on this as well. It's not the money, $40... but the time. One more item to wonder about trying, or learning the work flow. I've bought too many 'no brainer' items and then didn't use them. (enough)... But I have followed it for at least two years now...

I felt the same way but I gave it a shot. I was shocked at how good it sounded (I've mixed on pro tools, cubase, logic, reason), mix buss just sounds better with less work. If you take the time with it, you can program your own shortcut keys so that it will work similar to a daw you are familiar with. As of now, I will strictly use it for all my mixing needs (for composing, I will stick with reason)
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

its an attractive proposition but Im not sure I can separate my composition from my mixing so entirely and to not have an MIDI at all...their reverb plugin sounds pretty good as well
PapaSon
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticrhyme View Post
I felt the same way but I gave it a shot. I was shocked at how good it sounded (I've mixed on pro tools, cubase, logic, reason), mix buss just sounds better with less work. If you take the time with it, you can program your own shortcut keys so that it will work similar to a daw you are familiar with. As of now, I will strictly use it for all my mixing needs (for composing, I will stick with reason)
Thanks for your opinion. I am currently using Logic, and mixing is not bad. If I can get a better sound with less toil, I will definitely take the jump.

As for midi, I also hear there is a way to directly bus audio into mixbus from Logic or Pro tools, so you are running both programs.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Thanks for your opinion. I am currently using Logic, and mixing is not bad. If I can get a better sound with less toil, I will definitely take the jump.

As for midi, I also hear there is a way to directly bus audio into mixbus from Logic or Pro tools, so you are running both programs.
Yes, I've read that too but haven't tried it. Apparently you can set up and route any outputs from your daw through the application jack and use mixbuss to process everything. The only drawback might be the processing power it would take. For me, I'm fine just bouncing the tracks first and just using mix buss
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear maniac

Hi. Is the OSX version still buggy?

Regards /Bo
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danerius View Post
Hi. Is the OSX version still buggy?

Regards /Bo
I just used it a couple of days on my macbook pro and it seems fine so far. I haven't pushed it with higher track counts, so I'm hoping it will hold up ok
PapaSon
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by onespecial View Post
yes
Why do you think so?
What has your experience been?
Deleted User #106149
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Deleted User #106149

I'm happy with reds and nls in my chain on Cubase. Anyone prefer what it does over those two plugs?

Sent from my HTC Desire
PapaSon
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
its an attractive proposition but Im not sure I can separate my composition from my mixing so entirely and to not have an MIDI at all...their reverb plugin sounds pretty good as well
I feel the same way about mixing and composing. I like to do both at the same time. However, I do feel that keeping composition out of mixing and mixing out of composition might be a better way to approach a project, helping me be more clear and commit to my decisions.

I am willing to try a new way.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticrhyme View Post
I just used it a couple of days on my macbook pro and it seems fine so far. I haven't pushed it with higher track counts, so I'm hoping it will hold up ok
Good too know

/Bo
Baz
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Baz
Lives for gear

Very interesting. Does anyone know if this provides hardware inserts? I've recently been having some trouble with REAPERs inserts since I upgraded my computer and I need to integrate hardware. I'd rather spend $40 here than $60 to upgrade to v4 which still hasn't been fixed from what I've read

EDIT: I just looked again at the features section and it appears it does.

Unlimited stereo or mono input channels, each with unlimited plugins, sends, and hardware inserts. (limited only by CPU speed)
"Buy good tools, with track records, not GS flavor of the day, and there isn't anything you can't cut and have pride in. The flavor of the day will or won't prove itself over time." - Dan Kennedy 08.08'
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear maniac

Just pulled the trigger on this.

Curious how it compares to using saturation and analog sim plugs in Logic 9 vs a DAW that has it all built in.

Ive wanted to play on a DAW like this
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by auralart View Post
Just pulled the trigger on this.

Curious how it compares to using saturation and analog sim plugs in Logic 9 vs a DAW that has it all built in.

Ive wanted to play on a DAW like this
My interest exactly. Please let us know what you think.?? Guess I still have a day or two to decide.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear maniac

i demoed it and hated it. it looks like some college kid coded it or something.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear maniac

Here's my first thoughts after playing with it for a few hours..

Great concept but the final product is a cluttered, laggy, gargabe DAW. I wish I had 4 hands to give it four thumbs down. This should be in beta, there's so much work they should've done before releasing it.

Save your money, go with ProTools or Logic and buy a few tape/analog saturation plugs.

I want my money back!

But like I said the concept behind is great but Harrison please stick to making the hardware consoles you are known for until you get some better software programmers.
Baz
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruenburger View Post
i demoed it and hated it. it looks like some college kid coded it or something.
How'd you manage a demo?

Is there a downloadable demo for Mixbus?

No, we do not currently provide a demo of Mixbus. It is our experience that learning a new DAW is a significant investment in a professional's time. We require that users purchase Mixbus, and we provide full support to help them transition to using Mixbus on their system.

If you are a student or otherwise on a limited budget, you may "subscribe" to Mixbus. The subscription provides a very low initial cost, and also provides free updates when new versions (even major versions) are released. Students with a .edu email can even waive the initial fee.

I looked into a demo just today and saw they didn't offer one. Even at $40, I don't really want to pull the trigger unless it's something I think I'd get some play from
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear maniac

The website must be outdated. Here is the demo: Download Mixbus Free Trial

I thought it was also a very clunky and glitchy program.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear maniac

I bought it and played with it a few days.
I love the sound and think that the workflow takes some time to getting used to.
But I have big troubles with its buggy system making it useless. It crashes without saving all the time.
Sometimes you can't insert plugins or save.
I want to like it but these things must be taken care of.
But 40$ is nothing. So I'm still glad I bought it.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to play/record
x64?
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruenburger View Post
The website must be outdated. Here is the demo: Download Mixbus Free Trial

I thought it was also a very clunky and glitchy program.
Their website isn't outdated, however, that link is. It's a link to version 2.0.7. Mixbus is now on version 2.2. There have been a lot of bug fixes since then.

I'm a long time Ardour user and have been using mixbus since the 2.x series started. Can't say I have ever known it to be glitchy. Can't remember the last time I've had either ardour or mixbus crash. They've both become very stable in recent years ( this can't be said of Ardour when I first used it but it's solid now and a great base for mixbus).

As for composition, that's the only reason I wouldn't recommend mixbus (midi sequencing coming in version 3), however, if you spend a little time with jack you will see how flexible it can be. It's very easy to route audio into mixbus if that's what you want to do.

Ardour 3 is due out the first quarter of 2013 and has a LOT of new features (and bug fixes galore). I'll be looking forward to version 3 of mixbus for sure but that may take awhile yet. 40 quid for the current version sounds great though :-) I spent more on it than that and it's not a purchase I've ever regretted.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

If you got a computer you can try it on and want to give linux a shot. I would just install ubuntu and kxstudio. It comes with ardour. Mixbux is ardour with a tape saturation plug in perminatly installed. Plus with kxstudio you get a ton of free great plug ins, a mastering suite. Gobs of free soft synths, a great guitar amp sims, a bunch of midi recorders, other sampling daws and dj software, Free drum software and pretty much anything else you would need. It also has windows vst hosts so you can use windows plugins on it.

Considering mixbus is basicly a stolen opensouce program you can get for free if you use a linux distro and with the linux distro you get like a 100 more great programs 40 dollars is a rip off.

I hate when people like harrison are out there trying to screw people over.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
I hate when people like harrison are out there trying to screw people over.
Screw people over? Ardour is open source and they have built a great product on top of it. As well as that, they contribute to the Ardour community a great deal with bug fixes and my understanding is a small amount from each purchase also goes to the Ardour community. Finally, no one's forcing you to buy it

Also, on the note of Linux, if you want to try out a demo version of it on Linux, AVLinux would be your best bet. It's fully set up for audio, runs live from a usb stick and comes with a demo version of Mixbus if anyone really wants to try out an up to date demo
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear

I bought this on a whim and have tried it out on a song my friend wanted me to mix a while ago. I think the sound actually is pretty fantastic. Not sure why. Guess the EQs are good, the tape sat works, the compressors are good enough, and maybe there is something unique about the panning? Could also just be that staring at the mixer instead of the arrangement window gets you focused on the balance of the tracks with less distraction.

The workflow takes some getting used to. I'm using it on Windows 7, and while there haven't been any terrible crashes yet, there have been some very annoying things. You can't use 'stereo' plugins on mono tracks, so if you drag a bunch of mono wavs into the program, you have to create stereo tracks and rename them etc. to use pretty much any plugin. You also can't batch delete the useless mono tracks for some absurd reason... 64 bit plugins won't show up. The plugin browser is also totally disorganized...

All in all, I think the DSP sounds nice enough to warrant $40, and I'll see where the program takes me. It's too bad that certain aspects of its implementation are so underwhelming...

Successful builds:
Mutable Instruments Shruthi XT
Sonic Potions LXR (digital drum machine/sequencer)
Mutable Instruments Ambika (SMR4, 4P, and Ladder voice cards)
Ceriatone Stray Cat 30 (dual channel tube guitar amplifier)
Austin DIY Ribbon Microphones.

A few of my amateur noises: http://soundcloud.com/ichnumonb/sets...cent-to-most-1
Baz
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Baz
Lives for gear

Ah....I think I'll pass. I'd hate to really love the sound but be put off by the poor workflow, which is just a s important to me.This would just frustrate me I think. The 64bit plugin hitch is a bit of a bummer too.
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Gear interested

Just about to purchase,reached the Paypal checkout then........BANG....extra $8 tax added.

Sneaky and insidious,either charge me a price or don't but don't go sticking VAT on top AFTER I've agreed to pay a price of $40.

To be honest,this whole thing is beginning to look like abandonware anyway.
With Ardour 3 coming soon this v.2.2 of Mixbus will be dropped like a bad habit with all glitches and bugs still intact.

Mackie Trackion all over again!
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Gear Head

Purchased MixBus for PC. A bit disappointed, added 1 stereo track and the Relab LX480 Complete on to the track, worked nicely, saved the project, but upon reload full crash - cannot run the software at all -It was a waste of money as long as the software are not able to handle a single plugin in a stable way...VERY DISAPPOINTING!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search