Login / Register

Want to upgrade my home studio, help pls.
New Reply
Subscribe
Morbid_Savage
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear interested

Want to upgrade my home studio, help pls.

Dear Slutz,

I have always got lots of info from this great forum, but now it's time to get a bit more personal here I'm going for an upgrade from my current home studio, since i'm going to move it to a new location (a ww2 bunker with 2 separate rooms, so room 1 is going to be the control room and room 2 the recording one). I already produced some metal/rock albums of various bands in the past 6-7 years and even used to do some recording and engineering for tv commercials. Currently i do some acoustic treatment in the new studio. As soon as this is acomplished i'm going to move my gear to the new location. I'm going to basically record extreme metal music, rock music, audio-books and commercials.

I am now looking for a new interface and a new set of monitors.
I was planning to buy the KS Digital c88's since i love the way they sound and the guy at the store told me that i should replace my saffire pro 40 with another interface, because the saffire wouldn't handle the quality of the c88's. Now i know that the pro40 is rather a midrange-quality interface, but i like it's I/O a lot. So i'd like to know, which interface would do a considerably better job then the saffire under 2K (euro) or should i rather look for a quality ad/da converter and for some preamps/channel strips?

my current gear:

host: windows pc (silentmaxx, soundless)
Interfaces: Saffire Pro 40, Tascam US-122, Zoom H4N
Monitors: KRK VXT8, KRK RP5, Kenwood stereo,
Headphones: lots of them, the main one's are the AKG K271 MKII
Preamps/Channelstrips: Joemeek TwinQ, Focusrite ISA one, Presonus Tube Pre

There are also lots and lots of microphones, instruments, midi controllers, outboard fx, gates, some amps and cabs and periphery and so on.

My current room is treated with some diy rockwool panels and sounds quite neutral. The new one will be treated a bit more agressive

So i need an audio interface that one could consider a serious upgrade to my current setup. Not only the overall quality is important but the I/O flexibility as well, for i'm using a lot of outboard stuff and do multritrack recordings.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Morbid_Savage
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear Head

I have the ad card in the focusrite isa one and going lightpipe from that to my projectmix IO sounds amazing. I have an AKG c414 XLii and a buls and they both sound fantastic through that chain for vocals and recording guitars.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

A nice mic or pair of mics. A nice color pre like the WA12. Other than that, you seem to have all you need.

A: The one with a good musician in front of it!
Morbid_Savage
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear interested

Thanks guys,

Mics are no problem. I have lots of 'em, got the shures, the sennheiser's, akg, mxl and so on (about 30 mics overall). I'm more interested in an interface like an uad apollo or a fireface ufx 60. Or so? Anybody, any expirience in comparisson with the pro 40?
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbid_Savage View Post
Thanks guys,

Mics are no problem. I have lots of 'em, got the shures, the sennheiser's, akg, mxl and so on (about 30 mics overall). I'm more interested in an interface like an uad apollo or a fireface ufx 60. Or so? Anybody, any expirience in comparisson with the pro 40?
Apollo ain't for Windows yet, I wouldn't get that. RME seems to be rock solid.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear Head

Someone should ask this question...

What is it thats the problem with your current interface?
Baz
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Baz
Lives for gear

RME UFX, definitely, especially if you're thinking about interfaces. It's routing capabilities will be beyond a bonus.Relatively future proof to a degree as if you find yourself expanding, you're g2g with the ADAT.

cue my broken record but you'll love the stability of the drivers. Basically fire and forget.
"Buy good tools, with track records, not GS flavor of the day, and there isn't anything you can't cut and have pride in. The flavor of the day will or won't prove itself over time." - Dan Kennedy 08.08'
Morbid_Savage
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonxoc View Post
Someone should ask this question...

What is it thats the problem with your current interface?
Well, i do not have any problems with my current interface. It's good. But i'd like something more professional (like better converters, better preamps and so on?) And i'd like to know is the difference between the spoken devices really worth the money, objectively?
Morbid_Savage
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
RME UFX, definitely, especially if you're thinking about interfaces. It's routing capabilities will be beyond a bonus.Relatively future proof to a degree as if you find yourself expanding, you're g2g with the ADAT.

cue my broken record but you'll love the stability of the drivers. Basically fire and forget.
Ok, i actually can not say that saffire's drivers aren't stable. Never had a problem yet. I heard of some users having problem when switching sample rate, but this never happened to me either.

Well i guess, that i'll just have to order one of theese and just make an 1 to 1 comparisson myself.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search