Next step from FMR
Old 31st July 2006
Lives for gear

Next step from FMR

I know these "what preamp should i buy" threads can get annoying but I don't want to make a big mistake here. I am currently using a FMR rnp/rnc with the rack. It gives a nice and clear sound but I hate the notched knobs and lack of meters. I would like to spend up to around 800 new or around 500-600 used on something a little better. I am looking at some Joe Meek stuff.. in particular the Twinq but Im not sure if this thing is going to sound like balls (think Twintrak) or if it would even be an "upgrade". Any pre suggestions in my price range or opinions on the Twinq? Should I even bother upgrading in that price range? I am setting up my vocal chain right now for a very talented female and want to squeeze the best out of my cash.
Old 31st July 2006
Gear addict

I too have the RNP/RNC combo. I've had it for about a week. I am not sure what to think of them yet, because like you said its got a good clear sound. The problem is it might be a little TO clear for my taste. I did track a bass part yesterday direct, and it sounded good. If you know of any good settings for guitars and vocals please share them with me. Especially for the compresser. I don't know a thing about how to run those things.
Old 1st August 2006
Lives for gear

... anyone?
Old 1st August 2006
Lives for gear

If you're wanting a mic pre alone, then I'd probably look at getting Hamptone, which you can buy fully assembled in that price range.

If you're wanting a channel type situation, then I'd probably suggest the Toft ATC-2.

The FMR RNP/RNC combo is pretty good. I've owned both.

For vocals, I prefer the A Designs MP-2 going into a limiter of some sort in case the vocalist gets a little out of control during tracking.
Old 1st August 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozraves
If you're wanting a mic pre alone, then I'd probably look at getting Hamptone, which you can buy fully assembled in that price range.
I concur. Own the JFET and it has been a dream. It does take some getting used to with its gain. Only real problem for you would be the lack of meters, though the distortion of the amp is pretty musical so...
Old 1st August 2006
Gear addict

Well, not to sound like a jerk here, but notched knobs and lack of full meter have nothing to do with sound and you seem to like the combo. Those 2 reasons don't seem like enough of a reason to upgrade, especially since you're still more or less in the same price bracket. If you need to ride the gain going to a daw, that can be done with the RNC's makeup gain knob. And what would a full ladder style meter tell you that the RNP's led's dont already?

If you want to spend the dough to get a different color the aforementioned Hamptone is a nice option. A used peavey VMP-2 can be had for about $750 or Great River 1NV for $850. Both are different colors than the RNP. The meek stuff falls in the category of very colored. You might really like it but it wouldn't be as versatile as the RNP. Some will say the DAV BG-1 is a step up in the clean category from the RNP for about $750. I've never heard it.

Dan Fox
Old 1st August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPRYZ
Well, not to sound like a jerk here, but notched knobs and lack of full meter have nothing to do with sound and you seem to like the combo. Those 2 reasons don't seem like enough of a reason to upgrade, especially since you're still more or less in the same price bracket. If you need to ride the gain going to a daw, that can be done with the RNC's makeup gain knob. And what would a full ladder style meter tell you that the RNP's led's dont already?

If you want to spend the dough to get a different color the aforementioned Hamptone is a nice option. A used peavey VMP-2 can be had for about $750 or Great River 1NV for $850. Both are different colors than the RNP. The meek stuff falls in the category of very colored. You might really like it but it wouldn't be as versatile as the RNP. Some will say the DAV BG-1 is a step up in the clean category from the RNP for about $750. I've never heard it.

Dan Fox
Ya I know the knob/meter thing is about preference.. I know it has nothing to do with quality. Its a good combo for the money which is why I wasnt sure if there were any preamps at 800 that were really that much better. 800 is kind of a black hole for preamps. Thanks for the input though.
Old 1st August 2006
Lives for gear

An RNC just came today, as reccomended by Fletcher. I am using it only with an M-1, just to clamp overshoots on acoustic. I believe what he said about it now. I have to admit, I didnt believe the hype, I do now.

As for the RNP, I dont know what it sounds like, Im not looking for another pre, but the FMR company seems very stable as far as what I have read.

You are right too, 800 bux to better the RNP may be a black hole forever!

If you would like a ton of bells and whistles though, look at the Meek SixQ, way under your budget, and very colored if needed.
Old 1st August 2006
Lives for gear
Great River ME-1NV
Old 1st August 2006
Lives for gear

Are we talking $800 a channel or $800 for 2 channels? There are certainly lots of options at $800 per channel - especially if you already have a lunch box or 500 series rack.

$800 for 2 channels is tough. At that price you generally get different, but not necessarily better. For units that are arguably better, there is the Sytek, the VMP-2 and DAV (at least based on testimonials here -- I haven't heard one). I wouldn't view the current Meek stuff as an improvement. Different maybe, but not an improvement.
Old 1st August 2006
Lives for gear

Smile

I second the GR.

The RNP reminds me of the Grace 101, very clean, but also not that exciting from a sonic standpoint.
Old 2nd August 2006
Lives for gear

800 is in no way any kind of black hole. The only black holes are in the heads that believe such things.

700 will get you the DAV BG-1. The best clean preamp I have ever used, and I have used and have the funds to buy whatever I choose to buy. It has topped Gordon, GML, DACS, Millennia, Grace, and Hardy all in my trials.....I have 2 millennias that never get used anymore since I bought the DAV range..I dont know about great river other than to say that the designer himself said in an email to me that they(great rivers) were not the best choice for a clean preamp.

www.davelectronics.com/bg1.htm

you can order by emailing mick@davelectronics.com OR davelectronics@tiscali.co.uk

I believe after trying all the "flavors of the week" here in clean preamps that the DAV is the best in the world. I am not alone in that sentiment.

samples
http://www.michaelsawitzke.com/teddy/ (all DAV)
http://iacmusic.com/artist.aspx?id=48142 (all DAV)
http://www.target-music.ch/studio/sounds.htm

DAV BG-1 vs. Milllennia HV-3: CHOIR samples

DAV BG-2 vs. Millennia HV-3D

DAV BG-1 and Millennia HV-3: you can listen with me

Teddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohaku
Are we talking $800 a channel or $800 for 2 channels? There are certainly lots of options at $800 per channel - especially if you already have a lunch box or 500 series rack.

$800 for 2 channels is tough. At that price you generally get different, but not necessarily better. For units that are arguably better, there is the Sytek, the VMP-2 and DAV (at least based on testimonials here -- I haven't heard one). I wouldn't view the current Meek stuff as an improvement. Different maybe, but not an improvement.
Old 2nd August 2006
Lives for gear

Sebatron has a mono pre, switchable between Neve-ish solid state, and a tube pre with overdrive capabilities. It's almost a grand, but beats the hell out of the competition, assuming it sounds good, of course. Whether or not you get the Sebatron, I think a good tube pre is essential to any studio. As well as a Neve copy, a big tube mic, and (insert your favorite compresser here). But you gotta start somewhere.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search