New Reply
Subscribe
sshambles
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

M-Audio DSM1 Problems

Hi Guys,
New to this forum, so forgive things if I don't know where to post etc.

A year ago bought 2 M-Audio DSM1 monitors from USA, I live in Australia. Had a problem about 9 months ago, one of them turned on, but stopped producing any sound. Decided to get it fixed here in Australia, paid $300 (more than what was paid for them initially from the states) and it works fine.

Needless to say, the same thing has happened again.
Had them running last night whilst watching a film, then one just stopped working. No sound, lights and power were fine.

Does this happen regularly to monitors, or am I doing something wrong?
I've got it connected to a power-board (an expensive one at that), would this be the problem?

Thanks.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Do you mean power supply?, not sure what a power board means(I hope its not a power amp!)

I find the M-audio "black" products are quite unreliable. Powered speakers are not supposed to go bad and should last a very long time. I would look into fixing it or purchase another pair used. I own a pair of equator d5 and they are red hot here on gearslutz, cheap too only $300 us a pair.
sshambles
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear interested

I meant plugged into a power board instead of straight into the wall, in case of a surge. So surge protector?

Sad to hear they're unreliable. Sucks. Last time I think it was the power amp or something inside (the repairer said). Might suck it up and pay for the repair. Thanks.

Has anyone's speakers just stopped playing for any reason? Power works fine.
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Gear interested

Me Too!

I bought a pair over the weekend and I just plugged em up and they sounded great then I came back 2 hours later and the one powers up but no sound!
sshambles
9th February 2013
Old 9th February 2013
Gear interested

That sucks. Sorry to hear.
I think it's the power amp part of the monitors. My friend and I have had the same problem. I believe once its fixed, it shouldn't happen again if its fixed properly.
Expensive to fix but hopefully won't stuff up again.
4th July 2013
Old 4th July 2013
Gear Head

shit. same deal. Were both working fine last night, now one is not. Powers on fine, looks good, tested the cable, but no sound. not even a crackle.
Tried different power points with no luck.
I'm in Australia too, but i unfortunately paid Aussie price for them.
sshambles
4th July 2013
Old 4th July 2013
Gear interested

Mate and I purchased the same ones, his from Australia, mine from US.
He had the same problem too, sent them to M-Audio repairs to get fixed (his under warranty).

It seems to be the same problem I believe - he, me, NorwoodWood and you are having. Faulty power amp or something similar to that.

That said, once ours had both been fixed, we've encountered no similar problems so far *touch wood*. The repairer for Melbourne is this place - Technical Workshops Contact Details

They are the official M-Audio repairers for Australia.
Cost me $300 + ($50 shipping to Brisbane) but worth it if you can afford it.
4th July 2013
Old 4th July 2013
Gear Head

sweet. Thanks sshambles. Will check them out. mine should still be under warranty so I guess that's my best option.
5th December 2013
Old 5th December 2013
Gear Head

For anyone following this case, yes my DSM1 was repaired and returned. All good.

... UNTIL TODAY!!
Bloody thing has done it again. Looks like same issue. Think I'll ask for a replacement as opposed to a repair, and if I can't get that, then I'll have to find an alternative pair/brand.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search