Home stu setup
Hoomiey
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

Home stu setup

Home Studio setup
OK by no means am i trying to perpetrate being an engineer but i would like to build my little brother who raps and sings a home studio for him to record crisp raw vocals so he can send the tracks to a REAL ENGINEER to mix it. I already have a computer (mac with 2gb of ram), I understand I will need a DAW (ill probably end up purchasing logic, because its a little cheaper than PT and the engineer said he could still make good mixes on PT from any DAW i use), I wanted to kind of stay in budget and get him an SM7 mic for about $350 (i read many good reviews about it) and as for as an interface/preamp goes I thought about getting him an Apogee Duet 1 or 2 for about $600 as i saw some good reviews about that 2.
Do any of you pros think this is enough? he just needs something clean that can be mixed by a professional.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear maniac

That sounds more than adequate. The Duet is a very nice little interface/pre combo. I'm not in the hip hop scene so I can't comment on which mics are best, but the SM7 is a solid piece no matter what you're doing.

You can probably save some money and skip Logic if he's truly going to be doing just a track or two of vocals. I've heard great things about Reaper and it's only $60.

That should be good for now. Ideally he could do some cheap acoustic treatment of the room he'd be using. Hop over to the studio building forum to open that can o' worms
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search