Help me spend 400 dollars
Old 28th December 2012
Gear Head

Help me spend 400 dollars

Ok so, I'm a broke guy who never has money to spend. So to me this is good times. I have 400 bucks im willing to spend on recording equipment. I'm a true Low End Theory type of guy since im always broke.

My current gear in my "Studio" is...
A gretch drum set
Marshall JCM 900 combo
Fender Twin Reverb
Silvertone 1484
Random assortment of guitars and basses
Mackie CFX 16 Mixer
Old School Allen and Heath 12x4x2 (I am gonna start using this as my primary after I clean the pots)
four Shure sm57's
two 58's
5 piece equation audio drum mic set (Without drum clips)
ADAT xt20
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra 8r
Mixcraft 5 DAW
Some free plugins
Presonus MP20
I have enought cable for what I need.
Old 28th December 2012
Universal Audio UAD-2 (SOLO Core) | Sweetwater.com

If you're running on something that can take the card, then an UAD system is most definitely worth it.

If you're wanting to blow all that on a new mic, an AKG C214 would cover pretty much everything you'd need. Check it out, if you haven't before.
Old 29th December 2012
Gear nut

Save that $400 for a rainy day.
Old 29th December 2012
Gear interested

Room treatment!

Get some Owens Corning 703 rigid fiberglass panels and put them at first reflection points and across corners for bass trapping. Best bang for your buck to improve recording, rehearsal space, and mixing. Spending money on upgrading electronic thingies is senseless unless you've already acoustically treated your room.

I found a local insulation place that would sell me some (they sometimes only deal commercially). They had an alternate brand of the same product (3 lb/ft³ fiberglass panels), 8 pack of 2'x4' panels for $70. $140 bucks got me 16 panels. You should get some cloth to cover them too.

If you don't do that then get/upgrade your headphones. HD-280pro's for $100 are a great deal- they're closed back headphones so you can track with them too.
Old 29th December 2012
Gear interested

good,If you're running on something that can take the card, then an UAD system is most definitely worth it.
Old 30th December 2012
Gear addict

one audix i5. spend the rest on drugs.
Old 30th December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by onespecial View Post
one audix i5. spend the rest on drugs.
Get a little more, and buy an i5 and UAD-2 card.
Old 30th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
UAD system
This dude says he's always broke. Why not recommend him buying a gateway to endless spending?

Sent from my GT-I9300
Old 30th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenarne View Post
This dude says he's always broke. Why not recommend him buying a gateway to endless spending?

Sent from my GT-I9300
As evidenced by the OP's post, his being broke all of the time is most likely due to a lack of self-discipline. I've been there and turned it all around. He has already entered the gateway to endless spending! Simply wanting to put the only $400 you have into sound gear is indicative of this.
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear
Get a couple of custom made dual purpose blowup dolls/bass traps for the corner of your studio. That way you can expand your clientele along two very lucrative axes...
Old 1st January 2013
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Wink

+1 Don't spend the $400, keep a little cu$hion.

Chris
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear

he may be broke but he has a kicka$$ drum and guitar setup.

+1 to acoustic treatment.

stick with the free plugs they are very good when yo uget the right ones.
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear Head

oh yeah I own an i5 sorry i forgot to post it. Ive been planning on getting acoustic treatment so good call on that. I was going to make my own ( How to Build Acoustic Panels for Your Home Studio - YouTube )

Yeah so im guessing the foam will prob cost me around 100 since me and my bass player were going in 50/50 on that anyways. So, aside from that the UAD card is looking like a winner here. Id go with the blowup doll but me and my band mates have a fleshlight we go family style on, sometimes I loan it to my close relatives but it always comes back with more wear than I expected. I was also thinking about a Rode NTK I found at a pawn shop for 200 bucks, I could maybe ask 180.
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashcanman View Post
oh yeah I own an i5 sorry i forgot to post it. Ive been planning on getting acoustic treatment so good call on that. I was going to make my own ( How to Build Acoustic Panels for Your Home Studio - YouTube )

Yeah so im guessing the foam will prob cost me around 100 since me and my bass player were going in 50/50 on that anyways. So, aside from that the UAD card is looking like a winner here. Id go with the blowup doll but me and my band mates have a fleshlight we go family style on, sometimes I loan it to my close relatives but it always comes back with more wear than I expected. I was also thinking about a Rode NTK I found at a pawn shop for 200 bucks, I could maybe ask 180.
Right on!

Love how you got all the naughty bits sandwiched between the studio foam (fiberglass? sounds itchy) and the Rode NTK
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

i watched the vid and would suggest you double the amount of treatments they are using in that demo.

i'd go with full height bass traps to all corners
full cloud over drums (unless you have a really high ceiling)
i'd buy 2 or 3 old office dividers, 6' high and glue insulation to those for use as gobos, (especially for vocals)
very rough rule of thumb for wall absorption is air space should be same depth as insulation thickness.

how big is your room?

ntk for me is a dissapointing mic for vocals but nice on kick and bass cab.
Old 3rd January 2013
How about you get $80 more dollars up, and buy the NTK along with the UAD-2?
You could definitely use a decent condenser.
I loved your blow-up doll suggestion, I might add. That would be a wise investment.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search