New Reply
Subscribe
PaBl0
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

Good amp or passive controller

Hi there,

I'm looking to upgrade my bedroom studio with a set of decent monitors.
My interest goes out to the Tannoy Reveal p601, but I'm also thinking about the active 501 versions.
The thing wich is troubling me most is what kind of amp to get.
What I would like is to have an amp with a one knob control for the volume, rather then separate left and right knobs. Furthermore I would like to be able to switch between two sets of monitors.
All the pro audio gear however does not seem to have this and I don't want, as I'm doing now, to use a hifi amp because I believe there not 'clean' as there is alot of circuitry, inputs and most of the times even a tuner and eq.
Is this concern just, or is a good hifi amp also ok for powering near field monitors ?
The other option I saw was a passive controller from sm-pro audio.
Basically I wouldn't need it, as I have a motu 828mk3 so I can attenuate the signal from there, but in combination with a amp it could be what I want.
The thing is that with powered mointors It's cumbersome to change levels, as the knobs are located on the back, so you would choos a default amp level and then attenuate from the interface, however, I don't like that ideabecause when monitoring at lower levels I'll still be using quite some amplification, just on a weak attenuated signal and I would think it would be better to use very little amplification on a strong (the full) signal. Is that reasoning sound ?
The solution I had in mind with a oassive controller is to, rather then have a pair of active monitors behind them, put an amp in front of it. That way I could still control the amplifaction easily, but also switch between monitor pairs easily. Is this possible and can you send an amplified signal through a passive controller like that, or are there maybe other better or cheaper solutions, like maybe a good amp which can have two sets of monitors hooked up and preferably has one knob for stereo amplification?
I hope someone here can shed some light on this or has some good advice.
In any case, cheers and thanks up front ...
Baz
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Baz
Lives for gear

Well my short answer is don't even think about getting active monitors w/o some form of controller. forgot just dealing with regular volume changes,if something goes south and you encounter a volume spike,you want to be able to mute or kill the volume FAST.
"Buy good tools, with track records, not GS flavor of the day, and there isn't anything you can't cut and have pride in. The flavor of the day will or won't prove itself over time." - Dan Kennedy 08.08'
PaBl0
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Well my short answer is don't even think about getting active monitors w/o some form of controller. forgot just dealing with regular volume changes,if something goes south and you encounter a volume spike,you want to be able to mute or kill the volume FAST.
Well thanks,but mu motu interface basically allready acts as a controller.
I can monitor the output, attenuate with a physical knob and when I press it, mute the signal. My main point is that I want to have the full signal and amp it as much as I want, rather then always amping at a certain level and then attennuating the original signal accordingly.
The way I figure it, more amping means more colouring plus on a sidenote, it will also increase power consumption. Is this true, or is this nitpicking ?
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search