Login / Register
 
Fake Drums
New Reply
Subscribe
gtzack4
Thread Starter
#1
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
  #1
Gear Head
 
gtzack4's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 68

Thread Starter
gtzack4 is offline
Fake Drums

So I am looking to start using fake drums for the first time and need a little direction. I have always recorded drums live and I would like to programing drums upon a clients request. I have played around a little bit with helion one in cubase but I do not like how the snare always stays the same nor how sensitive the vorticity are.

I am looking at EZdrumer and BFD2. I did a search and only found stuff from 2007ish. The client is pop rowk but I would like nice metal kit and vintage rowk kit. I have been leaning to BFD2 for the ability to make each kit more custom. However i like that EZDrumer would use a lot less CPU. So What are your suggestions?
#2
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
  #2
Gear Dreamer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 44

baphomet1313 is offline
I use ezdrummer and LOVE it! You can get expansions that will suit most styles. The cool thing though, is the ability to have each drum on a seperate DAW channel (you can add verb to the snare only, etc.) It really is a great product, very easy to use, and you can get some great results. Good luck!

Sent from my SPH-M910
#3
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
  #3
Lives for gear
 
PlatinumSamples's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,918
My Recordings/Credits

PlatinumSamples is offline
__________________
Platinum Samples
www.platinumsamples.com
Platinum Samples on Facebook
===========================
#4
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
  #4
Lives for gear
 
baskervils's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,603
My Recordings/Credits

baskervils is offline
Hang onto your REAL cymbals, especially the hi-hat. A mix of drum samples (Abbey Road NI and EZ Drummer) with real cymbals seems to be the most satisfying marriage.
#5
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
  #5
Gear maniac
 
auralart's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 208

auralart is offline
Superior Drummer hands down the best out there imo and I've pretty much tried em all. Only thing I really dislike about SD is the presets. But other than that it's worth every penny and then some.
#6
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Saudade's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Birthplace of the Soundblaster
Posts: 647

Saudade is offline
IMO pretty much any drum library that came out after 2008 is very high quality, just depends whether your taste leans towards more processed (Slate etc) or raw (Superior etc) and how complex the amount of options you like to have. I have been getting drums libraries since Akai sampler days and my recent purchase is Abbey Road Modern Drummer and I would say the only thing holding a programmer back from a programmed drum performance that can fool drummers is your controller
__________________
Koi
http://poplin.bandcamp.com
#7
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Pschelfh's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Belgium
Posts: 720

Pschelfh is offline
Having both EZDrummer and SD, I would say...XLN Addictive Drums! It's somewhere between the 2 Toontrack ones when it comes to sound and functionality. Also comes with lots of pre-programmed material.

If you program your own drums, just make sure you don't play unnatural hits, eg. a cymbal hit + a hi hat stroke at the same time with the left hand.

Peter.
__________________
Our band : The Black Tartan Clan (Celtic punk rock)
Our studio : Studio Bunker
#8
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
  #8
Lives for gear
 
CJ1973's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,205

CJ1973 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschelfh View Post
Having both EZDrummer and SD, I would say...XLN Addictive Drums! It's somewhere between the 2 Toontrack ones when it comes to sound and functionality. Also comes with lots of pre-programmed material.

If you program your own drums, just make sure you don't play unnatural hits, eg. a cymbal hit + a hi hat stroke at the same time with the left hand.

Peter.
I actually use XLN drums myself and am searching for better. I even have some of their individual samples but for some reason, the sounds themselves feel thin. I usually convert it to audio and play with eq/compression to get a fatter sound, but still struggle.
Then I got used to doubling with other samples and its better but still not up there.

Any recommendations for the best live drum "one hit" type samples would be appreciated too!
__________________
www.MusicIntersection.com
#9
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
  #9
Gear addict
 
danly's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 310

danly is offline
you can still play and record real drums and beef up the hits with samples. i really like drumagog 5 or slate trigger. sounds amazing mixed with a pair of stereo overheads.
sometimes ill swap out kick and snare for linn drum samples for an 80's sound.
#10
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: UK & France
Posts: 1,475

ivansc is online now
I have started layering Toontrack and Steven Slate kits for extra fatness and flavour.

It's all good and relatively cheap. too!
#11
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
  #11
Lives for gear
 
CJ1973's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,205

CJ1973 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I have started layering Toontrack and Steven Slate kits for extra fatness and flavour.

It's all good and relatively cheap. too!
Do Slate drums come with individual sample hits that you could use independently or loops you can cut up etc? or is it off the player like XLN?
#12
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Sotsirc's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Bogustown, Europe
Posts: 1,687
My Recordings/Credits

Sotsirc is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
I actually use XLN drums myself and am searching for better. I even have some of their individual samples but for some reason, the sounds themselves feel thin. I usually convert it to audio and play with eq/compression to get a fatter sound, but still struggle.
Then I got used to doubling with other samples and its better but still not up there.

Any recommendations for the best live drum "one hit" type samples would be appreciated too!
Have you tried the Indie adpak? I agree about AD sounding thin, thinking that one might be better ...
#13
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
  #13
Lives for gear
 
CJ1973's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,205

CJ1973 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotsirc View Post
Have you tried the Indie adpak? I agree about AD sounding thin, thinking that one might be better ...
Hi
Yeah I do have the Indie pack. Actually that's one of the first pieces I bought because it sounded slightly fatter but not phat as you know what..
I even purchased the new one off samples as well from AD.
Would love to get some options on how folks get really great fake drums.

I am taking also the approach of sequencing something on AD and then rendering it 'dry' to audio. Then using the same midi path, opening it with a drum sampler like battery, re-assigning a sampled sound from an old 70s record and rendering it again. Then trying to mix it with the AD audio mix. Problem at that point is anything from sporadic phase issues to absolute time waste and not focussing on the song.

I think the whole promo of "max martin" using AD is probably true, maybe for sequencing..lol
#14
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
  #14
Lives for gear
 
nuthinupmysleeve's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: the plastic bubble
Posts: 8,313

nuthinupmysleeve is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschelfh View Post
Having both EZDrummer and SD, I would say...XLN Addictive Drums!
I don't have the others, but I settled on Addictive Drums as well. I found it to be the easiest way to get great sounding drums. It also ships with some great loops that are easily editable, and it also has great support for vdrums if you want to get a real drummer to play electronically and get great results.

I don't find them "thin"... I find them sounding pretty natural to me. YMMV of course.
#15
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
  #15
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 248

polaris20 is offline
EZ Drummer has treated me very well for quite awhile. I've got the stock kit and the DKFH expansion.
#16
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,105

halcyo is offline
EZ Drummer is cool for getting a quick production up and moving forward, but if you are used to recording your own drums, you will probably be pretty unsatisfied unless you step up to Superior Drummer. Not being able to tune the pitches of drums, edit decays, etc are a deal breaker for serious productions. I have almost ALL of the EZ Drummer packs and I use them for quick demos and for some commercial/ad work as I can work fast with them. I just can't find a lot of use for them when I really wanna make something 'artistic' if that makes any sense!
#17
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
  #17
Gear addict
 
JeffSanders's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Fairhaven, MA
Posts: 386

JeffSanders is offline
I love Addictive Drums. And I find the kits sound much beefier and have more attitude than Superior or EZ. imho.
#18
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Sotsirc's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Bogustown, Europe
Posts: 1,687
My Recordings/Credits

Sotsirc is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Hi
Yeah I do have the Indie pack. Actually that's one of the first pieces I bought because it sounded slightly fatter but not phat as you know what..
I even purchased the new one off samples as well from AD.
Would love to get some options on how folks get really great fake drums.

I am taking also the approach of sequencing something on AD and then rendering it 'dry' to audio. Then using the same midi path, opening it with a drum sampler like battery, re-assigning a sampled sound from an old 70s record and rendering it again. Then trying to mix it with the AD audio mix. Problem at that point is anything from sporadic phase issues to absolute time waste and not focussing on the song.

I think the whole promo of "max martin" using AD is probably true, maybe for sequencing..lol
I hear you. And by the way, I think Max Martin funded the whole project so I guess he has to say that he's using it. He did use it on "Whataya want from me", but that was played by a drummer on a digital drum kit.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
cdhps / Drums!
34
pan60 / Drums!
16
pan60 / Drums!
28
rustyguns / So much gear, so little time!
10

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.