Good mic for nasal voice
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear Head

Good mic for nasal voice

Suggestions?
I kinda sound like A mix of Chris martin and Liam Gallagher. I can't help it, god made me that way.Anyway, I was looking for A warm vocal mic for recording.

Mics considerd, oktava mk319, MXL 69 mogami, mx l 67gs.

Any others out there not over 400 bucks?
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can't help it, god made me that way.
Yes and no. You were given many voices but, like most, were conditioned to use only one.

Quote:
nasal voice
Most so-called nasal voices are actually not nasal. Nasal means much of the sound comes out the nose. More often the term gets (wrongly) used for edgy or twangy voices with predominantly mid/high mid frequency content, coming through the mouth. Well, you could argue those are "nasal" frequencies.
Without samples, it's hard to say what your voice is exactly like. But going by the examples of the other artists you provided, it's likely not nasal, just edgy.

Quote:
Good mic for nasal voice
Now one can choose to record it in the most honest way (1), you could compensate (2) or you could actually highlight the edge (3). I'm no Chris Martin expert (understatement), but I've listened to some clips and there I feel there's deliberate exaggeration of the mids, plus there's heavy auto-tuning going on, which adds to that.
Should you want to go that route (3) and the mike has to be an LDC, I'd pick one with a K47 capsule. Something like an Oktavamod would be in your budget. Alternatively, you could use a moving coil (dynamic) microphone with strong mids, e.g. a Sennheiser MD421.
However, should you want to compensate (2), a mike that scoops out the mids somewhat would be the ticket. AKG LDCs come to mind.
Only very few choose to record lead vocals in the most honest way (1). That would probably be executed best by an omni SDC.

Ribbon microphones sound really smooth. That is partly caused by their treble roll-off, which does not deal with the "problem" here. But, by nature, they are also potentially less aggressive or harsh than condensers can be. So mids can actually be translated smoother, too.

Edit:
Oops, you probably meant the Coldplay guy rather than Christopher Martin.
Anyway, similar story.

Henk
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear
I have successfully used the Oktava MK220 on voices like that. Like the
MK319, It has a dip in freq response at 6-7khz that helps take out the nasal. Mounted inverted.
Old 24th December 2012
Gear Head

I had, and to an extent still have, the same problem. Bought a Blue Woodpecker ribbon, to no avail. I like it but not for vocals. With it I am losing too much of the top end. Moving the mic lower to chest level was much more helpful than buing new gear.
Just a suggestion.
Old 28th December 2012
Gear Head

Old 28th December 2012
Gear Head

SM7b

Just don't engage the boost on the back....

Last edited by scottmckaygibson; 28th December 2012 at 04:01 AM.. Reason: Added the tip about the mid boost.
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmckaygibson View Post
SM7b

Just don't engage the boost on the back....
This!! Definitely good for nasally voices!. Nothing bright or it can be a nightmare!
Old 28th December 2012
Banned

The Oktava 319 has bit of a scooped mid thing going on. Depending on where your issue lies, it might or might not be the ticket.
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Sennheiser 441 is worth considering. They can sometimes be found in the $400 range used. Not harsh, often a good vocal mic for "peaky" or edgy voices, if looking to smooth them out a bit.
Oktava 319, if you get a good one, is a very nice mic, and can be modded to sound even better. Very warm, yet with nice smooth high end detail. The sound can vary however depending on the individual mic, whereas Sennheisers are more consistent, IME.
Old 29th December 2012
Gear Guru

Shure 330 - made Carson sound good on TV

-tINY

Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides View Post
The Oktava 319 has bit of a scooped mid thing going on. Depending on where your issue lies, it might or might not be the ticket.

+1. Perfect for nasally voices.
Old 30th December 2012
Gear maniac

Another vote here for the MK 319. Sorts out nasally voices a treat. When I saw the title of the thread, I immediately thought of that mic.
Old 30th December 2012
Gear addict

Learn to really use the proximity effect with any cardioid mic. It will make you sound bigger.

Sent from my GT-I9300
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search