What Does My Setup Need?
New Reply
Subscribe
DayDayB
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear interested

What Does My Setup Need?

I currently am operating in the box with some outboard gear, i have an mbox, focusrite isa one, Rode Nt1A, Shure Sm7b, & an fmr rnc,& 2 hs80s for an rap/sing recording studio. I was thinking my interface needed upgrading and was looking into an rme babyface, however i need something with atleast 4 mono outputs for routing effects, but if you see anything in my chain that looks like it might be dragging the rest down, or anything that could use improvement, or even just new gear to add to my studio let me know. I got about 1000 $ and i want to put it into one essential piece that would bring up the quality of my mixes

Heres my most recent work: DayDay - I Was Dreaming Feat. InvisoBill ! - YouTube all the equipment above had a part in this song except the rnc as it is a fairly new addition to my studio
DayDayB
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear interested

bump
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear addict

Check out the digital card for the ISA. That way you can bypass the low-end converters on the Mbox by going through it's S/PDIF input.

Also, look at upgrading the NT1. It's the weakest piece of gear by far out of the things you've listed.
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

So I checked out your song "DayDay" I think the voice has potential, like a good hip-hop tone! The beat was kinda interesting, definitely had an indie vibe...

I think the mic is a little lacking in weight, now I see that Zombie Morg said to "get a new mic", now while you can do that I'd send what you already have to this guy John Bonnell Mic Mods - Studio Microphone Modification and Upgrading

I actually upgraded the same NT1A and it really made a big difference in sound, like it's not the best looking mic I have but it sounds freakin awesome! Mine was like $80 shipping and everything....

Now for the other $920...

I owned an MBox 2 and a Presonus Firepod back in 2007, and crap that Mbox sounded terrible in comparison. Think about upgrading that...Maybe something from Presonus. Then again the ISA D-I/O upgrade would totally take care of that....Still, it's the D/A that was the problem with the Mbox, it just sounded bad, I'd use the exact same session and switch between my Mbox and FP and that Mbox didn't have nearly the stereo image or definition.

How about a firestudio project...It definitely will give some decent metering and will give you a better sound D/A. You could definitely pick up a used one cheap!

Other than that keep doing what you're doing!

http://soundcloud.com/godsons
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to ether88
you have a sm7b, which is ideal if your room is untreated and can be great for hip-hop with the right pre and/or tubes. I would invest in an interface that can handle your current and future outboard gear. Have a look at the Steinberg MR816 X, MOTU Traveler-mk3 (great for mobile), and Focusrite Liquid Saffire.

Also some nice cans or smaller monitors could be useful in checking mixes.
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Gear interested

The presonus seems like a good investment, im also looking into used liquid saffire 56 what are the advantages of having the Ls56? Also judging from the song i posted does anyone think an RE20 would better suit my voice?
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Gear interested

If you're just using one or two channels of a/d, you should get apogee duet. Great a/d an d/a. I'd stay away from presonus interfaces.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin
DayDayB
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Gear interested

im using a pc forgot to mention
DayDayB
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear interested

so ive decided that i will be going with a focusrite interface, what do you feel would serve a better purpose. The focusrite saffire pro 24, or Focusrite liquid saffire 56. the cost is not an issue, keep in mind this is for a vocal studio, and having the liquid preamps on the 56 would be great for adding tone and color, but if it is all just a waste of money and you think i should go with the 24 please leave your 2 cents
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear addict

I have a 56 myself and I love it.

For vocal tracking however, I think the 8 preamps on the 56 would be overkill and you would be better spending your money on a smaller 1/2 channel interface.

Maybe you could go for the Saffire 24 and add in a channel strip like the Focusrite ISA 430, or the SSL Alpha Channel.

Or maybe go for a high-end 1/2 channel interface which will beat the Saffire, and lessen the need for a channel strip.
DayDayB
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear interested

what about the lavry ad10? i only have about 1k to spend plus the value of the mbox. I'm operating on pc & if you could leave me with a list of interfaces youd recommend in that price range it would be great
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to ether88
Saffire 24 would be a safe bet for just vocals. check out the GAP-73 pre to push your sm7b.

I listened to your tracks at my station and it was very low volume to start, I would get some nice books on mixing/engineering. Check out Ken Lewis audio school stuff online even. With the set up you've got after bumping up your interface, you should be solid for awhile. Your instrumentals are pretty nice too, keep up the work!
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

DayDayB
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear interested

thank you ether88 for your feedback. Ive found a focusrite saffire 24 for about 220 online so im going to try and snag that. I appreciate everyones help, this forum never fails me. Thank you
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayDayB View Post
thank you ether88 for your feedback. Ive found a focusrite saffire 24 for about 220 online so im going to try and snag that. I appreciate everyones help, this forum never fails me. Thank you
you didnt say you wanted a new interface .. i wouldnt skimp on the heart of your rig
DayDayB
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

so ive been doing a lot of research, and stressing lately & Ive decided to upgrade my interface. What i need is an interface with atleast 4 analogue outputs, for routing hardware effects in mixdown stage, i also need solid a/d d/a converters, 4 inputs should suffice. I would like 2 headphone jacks so i dont have to cue mix the output into my isa One & switch between monitors all the time, & id also like an interface that sits hand in hand with the isa one preamp. I feel as if im making the forum do all my dirty work, but ive done my research so far and I need a little help. Ive been looking into the mbox pro 3 and the saffire pro 24 but i heard the converters on the 24 are meh & the mbox pro has some delay issues. That leaves me stuck at the crossroads right now and in need of some directional guidance. I have exactly 1k to spend on an interface please leave your recommendations below
DayDayB
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

bump
DayDayB
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

bump
DayDayB
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

helloo
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear Head

I got a projectmix io from craigslist for $400 and use the ad conversion from the isa one through lightpipe to the projectmix. My vox sound ****ing great but thats just me.

I can't say enough about the ad card upgrade for the isa one... It made my vox / di guitar sound amazing.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

DayDayB
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear interested

i was looking at the 56, someone had mentioned that 8 preamps is overkill for a vocal studio, any other suggestions,i only need 4 inputs and a lot of outputs like the saffire pro 24
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search