Help me choose a Dynamic Microphone <100$
New Reply
Subscribe
Stoyo
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Gear interested

Help me choose a Dynamic Microphone <100$

Hello, i want to choose a good dynamic microphone for no more than 100$. Price should be lower but i place 100€ / 120$ cap to have some extra choices.

Its use is for vocals on studio jamming, rock style. Male tenor clear and somewhat thin voice and not much loud. Also i definitely dont want to belt my brains out to be heard loudly. Handling noise isnt an issue.

I have done my research and i would get an AKG P5 if i had to choose alone or maybe a D5, because D5 has a rich sound in the mids where my voice needs some boosting and has higher output that will allow me to sing more relaxed, also In a short review here someone stated P5 doesnt sound different to D5 so i might save around 50$

So a list of where my search has ended is

AKG P5 / D5
40 / 80 €
Sennheiser E 825 / 835
58 / 77 €
Electrovoice N-D 767 A
97(!) €

I didn't include any Shure mics because in most reviews i hear i didn't quite like t'he sound and because i like buying less known worthy stuff.

I have to say that am a total newbie and i don't know how good my research was and whats different between models, i will gladly hear your corrections/suggestions. I might extend the price range a bit if it really is worth it but i'd rather stay on the low side and get a noiseless cable, adaptors and maybe save for a pre amp i might need(?).

Thanks and !
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Gear addict

I have a D5 for live use and I think of it as a SM58, only better in every way except 180 degree rejection.
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Gear interested

Any information about the P5 vs D5? There is a 40€ (50€ with the switch) difference i don't know if it is worth to pay x2 for the D model.

Any other suggestions?

Edit: There is also D7 in 99€... it is suspiciously low price. Could there be any problems with that?
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Gear Head

A Prodipe TT1 is also worth considering in this price range.

Dave.
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Gear interested

the nd767a is a really good mic. be aware that its not the most natural sounding mic. i had 3 of them. theyre great but not natural so dont use them for studio recording. stay away from neodymium mics for studio recording. id say get the Sennheiser or shure.
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post
Sounds like the cheapest mic at Radio Shack might be right up your alley. Enjoy.
take this guys advice. learn to do some eq and use a compressor. some of the magic miracle mics that claim to get you great clean and clear sound have other issues. ive used all the electro voice mics and shure mics and some sennheiser. the only mic electro voice has thats mildly good is the re20. re27 and re320 are garbage. and still the sm7b is better than it. if you buy a electro voice handheld get one thats not in the ND series because they arent natural AVOID those magnets. dont listen to that they give you more detail hype crap. they dont do anything but sound worse.
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
If you don't like an SM57 then any cheap mic from Radio Shack might be right up your alley. Enjoy.
I just can't figure out what this quote means. I came up with a few translations but none of them make sense!

- If you don't like low price then any cheap mic from Radio Shack might be right up your alley.

- If you don't like small size then any cheap mic from Radio Shack might be right up your alley.

- If you don't like 4 kHz emphasis then any cheap mic from Radio Shack might be right up your alley.

- If you don't like severe high/lo freq rollof then any cheap mic from Radio Shack might be right up your alley.
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Gear maniac

Audix i5. It's known as a instrument mic but it works very well on vocals. Like a 57 but without the strange midrange coloration & more output. Typical neodymium magnet sound, like the E-V n series, more lows.

Either that or the Sennheiser e835, which is much more hi-fi than the typical Shure SM58 but it can be prone to sibilance and feedback at higher volumes. I like the sound of it though.
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Gear addict

Audix OM-2 or OM-5 (used)
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenarne View Post
I just can't figure out what this quote means. I came up with a few translations but none of them make sense!
I'll break it down for you...

"If you don't appreciate a high quality mic like an SM57 then just buy any mic because chances are you won't notice the difference."
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eh91311 View Post
Audix i5.
+1. Love mine.
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
I'll break it down for you...

"If you don't appreciate a high quality mic like an SM57 then just buy any mic because chances are you won't notice the difference."
Thought so. Have you tried the other sub $100 options? I'd say that, for vocals and vocals only, there are many quality contenders around this price point. Many of them lack the shouty 4 kHz emphasis and have better HF extension, so they may be better suited for a lot of voices and styles.
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Gear maniac

On the really low cost/good value end of things I just wanted to mention that the singers in a band I played with really liked the GLS audio mics in our practice space. I got them because they were cheap w/ decent reputation, but the singers preferred them to others I had. (AT vocal mics)

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/mer...de=microphones

If you're into craigslist you might find some decent used mics there too if that works for you.
Stoyo
16th December 2012
Old 16th December 2012
Gear interested

Actually i found Behringer XM8500 at 30€ with excellent reviews but i am also seriously thinking about the D7 at 99€ unless it is a typo and the "1" is missing :P
16th December 2012
Old 16th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sure...I have an Audix I5 new-in-the-box that never gets used.
Wanna sell it? PM me.
16th December 2012
Old 16th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
LOL. I'll put it on ebay on of these days. Not a bad mic really, but for my tastes I usually go with something else.
Didn't really see the humor in it but glad you did. I'll be picking up a new one after the holidays and just thought it could do both of us a favor.
17th December 2012
Old 17th December 2012
serious amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Anderson View Post
A Prodipe TT1 is also worth considering in this price range.

Dave.
This, or the Sennheiser 835
17th December 2012
Old 17th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by omtayslick View Post
This, or the Sennheiser 835

Also agree ... the Prodipe TT1 beats those Shures. And it's like half the price or something ridiculous like that.
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear interested

Send a message via Skype™ to Gdrummond
the seinnheiser is a good mic too, it´s pretty clean, I use it all the time for voices.
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Rocket Scientist

Watch ebay and get yourself a nice Shure 545 or PE54 from the 70's, these go for under $100 and sound very good on vocals, much better than current SM57, good for male rock vocals.

An SM58 is a very good inexpensive mic, I like the version with the on-off switch (worlds cheapest anti-feedback control).

Good luck and good music to all
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear interested

19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianellefson View Post
Also agree ... the Prodipe TT1 beats those Shures. And it's like half the price or something ridiculous like that.
If you're able to get them where you live you have nothing to lose for the price. I wanted to get some for toms after the awesome reviews here but at the only place in the states that had them stocked they would've come out to $140 for the pair. Not quite reasonable considering they we're around $40 before to my knowledge.

There website says 39,00 €
Stoyo
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear interested

Prodipe TT11 is 63€ shipped, all others are highly priced. I can't order from ebay cause i live in Greece and either shipping isn't available or sky high :/ . Also its hard to find a good used one.

I liked TT1's clear sound and excellent high output with minimum feedback - as stated. Well it seems that the price is a bit high but thats my best choice i think.
Stoyo
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Gear interested

Hello again, still i haven't decided so i came back for an extra boost. GLS unfortunately isn't available here and the shipping might cost more than the mic...

Behringer XM8500 is out of production or something, on every store i asked they told me it has stopped being supplied. Pity, it could be a great ultra cheap solution.

Now i am between E835 and TT1. I've read many reviews describing the awsomeness of both and now i cant decide . Anyone can give me a comparison between them? I lean towards TT1 because of the looks, the low feedback (easier to sing), and the 15€/20$ i will save for a good cord and adaptor. On the other hand in this thread the E835 is the most popular choice which means something.

For the record i sent an e-mail to AKG asking if it could be a counterfeit because of the surprisingly low price and didn't even get a reply, at least they could send an e-mail and tell me that i have to ask someone else, in case i sent it to the wrong section. No good response, not on my "to buy" list.

Edit: Got the E835, excellent feedback reviews, less "shouty" than TT1 an almost no "p" and "s" problems unlike TT1. Might be doing a review too. Anyway, thanks for your support!

Cheers
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoyo View Post
I didn't include any Shure mics because in most reviews i hear i didn't quite like t'he sound
Wait, what? You used them yourself and didn't like the sound, or you just didn't like what you read in reviews?

If the latter, I strongly recommend you reconsider. SM57's and SM58's are industry standards and are used all the time in professional recordings and live venues. They're so popular for a good reason, they're darn good mic's... and affordable at that.

Quote:
and because i like buying less known worthy stuff.
Save the hipster choices for clothes. If you want a mic that sounds good, be blind to the brand and buy what sounds good; chances are pretty good that'll include the leading brands, including Shure.

Quote:
I might extend the price range a bit if it really is worth it but i'd rather stay on the low side and get a noiseless cable, adaptors and maybe save for a pre amp i might need(?).
No need to go above $100 for a dynamic mic. There are great dynamic vocal and instrument mic's that you can have for less than that, especially if you go used.
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear Head

I have a Shure 545sd. Classic mic similar to the sm57, but made in Mexico with a smoother design. $100 shipped?
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoyo View Post
Edit: Got the E835, excellent feedback reviews, less "shouty" than TT1 an almost no "p" and "s" problems unlike TT1. Might be doing a review too. Anyway, thanks for your support!

Cheers

Pretty good choice, I think. I have a lot of experience with the Senn e855, and while it's less useful live compared to a SM58, it doesn't have so much of the infamous Shure 'shout' which makes for better vocal recordings in most situations.

Sent from my GT-I9300
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear nut

I've usually used an SM58 or SM57 live vox (and sometimes for recording louder vox tracks) and they are great mics. Great tone regarding what they pick up and compliment, and have always fit my particular voice like a glove. I'm a tenor but with a loud, thick voice (so probably a little different than your voice in comparison) and they work well for me.
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear nut

Big Sennheiser fan here.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727
Stoyo
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear interested

I like getting worthy stuff from less know companies to support them and because i dont like following the "golden standard" cause many times you pay extra for it. If Sennheiser was in Shure's place, i might had ended with a SM57 with a windscreen but it would also have much lower price... not 100+€. Yes these mics are REALLY durable and yes they might sound awsome but everyone has a different point of view and hearing.

To my ears the only one that sounded good (to me!) was the SM57 but had some "p" and "t" presence. You can hear a comparison here. Based on the price and the usage i want it for, it was not a hard decision. I take care of my stuff - especially something i am going to put my lips upon it - so i dont need a tank-like mic. Next the clear sound and high output before feedback is really top notch.

Thats from my point of view after some research, im not going to support Sennheiser or any other brand i might had chosen. I believe this will be a good choice and i will report my impressions either good or not.

Be well and peace!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search