Help me choose a Dynamic Microphone <100$
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoyo View Post
Hello again, still i haven't decided so i came back for an extra boost. GLS unfortunately isn't available here and the shipping might cost more than the mic...

Behringer XM8500 is out of production or something, on every store i asked they told me it has stopped being supplied. Pity, it could be a great ultra cheap solution.

Now i am between E835 and TT1. I've read many reviews describing the awsomeness of both and now i cant decide . Anyone can give me a comparison between them? I lean towards TT1 because of the looks, the low feedback (easier to sing), and the 15€/20$ i will save for a good cord and adaptor. On the other hand in this thread the E835 is the most popular choice which means something.

For the record i sent an e-mail to AKG asking if it could be a counterfeit because of the surprisingly low price and didn't even get a reply, at least they could send an e-mail and tell me that i have to ask someone else, in case i sent it to the wrong section. No good response, not on my "to buy" list.

Edit: Got the E835, excellent feedback reviews, less "shouty" than TT1 an almost no "p" and "s" problems unlike TT1. Might be doing a review too. Anyway, thanks for your support!

Cheers
xm8500 23 bucks shipped musiciansfriend
Stoyo
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

Important resurrection! I found an E865 for ~85€ used but in excellent condition (it costs 200€ new). I did a little search and found that condensers can also be used for rehearsals in studio or live performances. I think it is a great deal and i am very excited! Am i going to need any other device, cause i read it needs "phantom power" to work, whats the cost of it? If i am able to cancel my previous order from the shop i will happily do it and go for the E865.

Need some help please!
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoyo View Post
Important resurrection! I found an E865 for ~85€ used but in excellent condition (it costs 200€ new). I did a little search and found that condensers can also be used for rehearsals in studio or live performances. I think it is a great deal and i am very excited! Am i going to need any other device, cause i read it needs "phantom power" to work, whats the cost of it? If i am able to cancel my previous order from the shop i will happily do it and go for the E865.

Need some help please!
No offense, but it sounds like you need to do more research before you jump in further. You came in asking about dynamic mics, but then disregarded suggestions and got a condenser instead, while not knowing what phantom power is. Time to slow down and figure out exactly what you're doing.

All condenser mics need phantom power. You'll find that most preamps (and thereby mixers or audio interfaces with mic preamps) have a button to turn on/off phantom power. You'll need to turn it on to use your condenser mic. There is no "cost" for phantom power; it is a feature that should be on whatever you're plugging your microphone into. If you don't already have a mixer or audio interface, I suggest you take a deep breath and start doing a lot of reading about the fundamentals of audio engineering.
Stoyo
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear interested

I did a research for every suggestion, i also found this mic "by accident". I always check items on sale and found it. Did a little research and its sold at 1/3-1/4 of its price and it sounds excellent. Condensers clear sound with dynamics feedback rejection.

Im sorry if i went (a bit) off topic by asking for a condenser but its properties and ridiculous price for what its worth price, happen to suit me and partially the tread too.

Truth i was being very enthusiastic because imagine a Beta 57A being sold for 50-60$... it will be gone in 60".

Thanks for your reply, i will do my research too.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

For the price, buy an SM57 first. If you can't get a decent recording with it, save your mic budget and look elsewhere for the problem.

You can always add other mics later once you know exactly what it is that YOU don't like about the 57.
3rd June 2013
Old 3rd June 2013
Gear interested

2 cents - yes, I know it's an old thread...

I have a number of mics that I've not paid a fortune for. They all sound OK, but the way to judge them is in a mix.

The best vocal sound I get comes from an AKG D119 - a rare beast that I got lucky on. Crystal clear and cuts through the mix without excessive sibilance.

Sennheiser e835, SM58 and beringer xm8500 are dull and don't cut it.
e845 is boomy and muddy
e855 is almost as good as the d119. Given that it's more robust, this has become my main live vocal mic as well.
e865 sounds fab on my voice, but in the mix, it's not as clear
Beyerdynamic M81 is very effective, but I don't quite like the sound as much as the d119

The moral is that the only real way of selecting a mic that works for you it to test it and see what you like and what works for you. I can almost guarantee that you'll have a different result with the same mics, as I'm a rather loud bass-baritone, and I need something that cuts through distorted guitars.

Don't go on what you read either - I have a friend who's a very gentle alto, and she gets fabulous results with a SM58.
3rd June 2013
Old 3rd June 2013
Gear addict

A used shure beta 58 kills every mic anyone has mentioned... just sayin.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search