Newbie feeling out of his depth...
Old 9th December 2012
Gear interested

Newbie feeling out of his depth...

Hi folks. I'm a complete newbie to gearslutz so I hope this is going into the right sub-forum. Apologies if it's not.
I'm a home DJ and have recently started recording my mixes through my software. I got lent a set of HS80's to monitor my mixes with and found that when I played them back they sounded much better than those monitored with normal hi-fi speakers.
I've decided to buy some monitor speakers myself and on my limited budget I've narrowed the choice down to 3. The Fostex pm0.5n, KRK Rokit RP6 G2 or the Behringer Truth 3031A. I play trance, psy-trance and tech-house which is bottom end heavy but also has some delicate piano and synth breakdowns at times. The room that they will be used in is a fairly small sized room and not accoustically treated yet so I think that I will benefit from front porting, hence the choice of 3 that I have narrowed it down to. Thank you in advance for any advice offered.
Old 9th December 2012
Lives for gear

If the HS80's sounded good in your room, save up for them.

Significant step up from the monitors you listed.
Old 9th December 2012
Gear interested

Thanks Kaoz. I found that because the Yamaha's are rear ported and close to the wall in an untreated room there was no bass then huge amounts of bass, as though some of it was being absorbed then loads bounced back, that's why I was looking at front ported speakers. Unfortunately because I have to work in the dining room acoustically treating the room isn't an option.
Old 9th December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrichc View Post
Thanks Kaoz. I found that because the Yamaha's are rear ported and close to the wall in an untreated room there was no bass then huge amounts of bass, as though some of it was being absorbed then loads bounced back, that's why I was looking at front ported speakers. Unfortunately because I have to work in the dining room acoustically treating the room isn't an option.
Most likely that issue you're hearing is due to a standing wave in the room. Porting is about speaker design - it's not going to really matter which way the port is facing, or if it's ported or not.

At the end of the day, in an untreated room that has standing waves, you're always going to be guessing up to a point. Best you can do is learn the monitors you have as well as you can, and check bass end in headphones and wherever else you can. It's not impossible to do good mixes in a bad room, but it's harder.
Old 10th December 2012
Gear interested

Thank you psycho monkey. I think it may be hang on and save a little longer for the HS80's then. I love the tracks Famous and Plymouth on that album. I think I may have to purchase them in the next couple of days :-)
Old 10th December 2012
Gear addict

The HS80m's have room tuning controls, one specifically related to how close to walls they are. So, you should have at least a little control when it comes to tuning.

I've the HS50's with the HS10 sub, and I've used those Behringers (at someone else's place though) before.

Based on my experience with the HS50's I'd get the HS80's over the Behringer monitors at least.
Old 10th December 2012
Lives for gear

Behringer truth.

I owned fostex pmo.5s for 7 years. Bad bass reproduction

The KRKs are nice too
Old 10th December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrichc View Post
Thank you psycho monkey. I think it may be hang on and save a little longer for the HS80's then. I love the tracks Famous and Plymouth on that album. I think I may have to purchase them in the next couple of days :-)
Glad to be of help, and thank you!

<further shameless plug>

PS purchase a different track (maybe you'll like "time goes by" or "tree of life" if you like these two...), and get plymouth free from this link:

https://soundcloud.com/jrhardman/jac...rdman-plymouth

Jack's doing it as a free promotional download/PR campaign - we got played on XFM, Simon Raymonde (Bella Union label chief)'s radio show, and lots of blog comments etc.

</further shameless plug>

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 10th December 2012 at 11:33 PM.. Reason: forgot to close tag....
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search