External DAC improve fidelty of mix ?
New Reply
Subscribe
hypersync.09
9th December 2012
Old 9th December 2012
Gear maniac

External DAC improve fidelty of mix ?

I currently am producing ITB using UR824 interface.

Will my mixes gain more depth , space and clarity if I connect an external DAC to the UR824 digitally ? or will the external DAC just let me monitor better , but not print the "extra quality " in the WAV file ?

OR should I spend on external Eq / Comp / Reverb rather than using stock plugins to achieve more fidelity ?
9th December 2012
Old 9th December 2012
Gear nut

A DAC just lets you HEAR more details and spatial cues in your mix, so that you can create better mixes as you will hear more information.
9th December 2012
Old 9th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypersync.09 View Post
I currently am producing ITB using UR824 interface.

Will my mixes gain more depth , space and clarity if I connect an external DAC to the UR824 digitally ? or will the external DAC just let me monitor better , but not print the "extra quality " in the WAV file ?

OR should I spend on external Eq / Comp / Reverb rather than using stock plugins to achieve more fidelity ?
Well, I doubt it.

Just as with most gear, a DAC cannot "add" quality to your mix. It can only keep from "losing it" if it is already there. Depth, space, and clarity probably comes more from using well chosen mics and pres, mic technique, room treatment, and an entire chain of decent audio gear through to the end. It also depends upon how you process the signal once in line.

Likewise, you cannot expect to start winning races just because you upgrade one single part on the race car. The entire car and driver must already be at or near their best.

Going external can also turn into a never-ending quest of upgrades. The debate over whether it is worth the trouble will go on forever.

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search