Beginner, suggest me a cheap guitar & a guitar tuner
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Beginner, suggest me a cheap guitar & a guitar tuner

Hi I am looking into buying my first guitar for learning, any sugestions for the cheapest range ? Also is a Korg GA good for guitar tuning ? also what other cheap device is good for guitar tuning ? I am very new to this so please teach, thanks.
I just bought a magazine, Total Guitar presents Teach Yourself Guitar (full dvd & magazine).
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Inexpensive and something great to learn on with some decent tone?

...the Washburn D10.

Find a place that sells them and play them all, even the ones that might be hiding in the store room. You'll find at least one out of them that's a peach.
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

But how am I supposed to know if it's peached ?
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear interested

I've had the Korg GA tuner for over 10 years. I've had to replace the batteries three times. But it's survived a lot. Get it
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear interested

The Epiphone Masterbilt series are great acoustic guitars for a very reasonable price.
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear addict

For a beginner I'd suggest something along the lines of SX guitars. You'd need to try them out but from what I've seen some SX guitars offer excellent value for money.

As for a tuner, it's expensive but the Boss TU-2 is top notch. Buy that and you should never need another tuner again. It's chromatic so it has more applications than just guitar tuning.
Old 4th December 2012
Taking Down your Network

Hit up a friend who's a good player and bring them along.
Like the other poster said, try all the guitars in your price range and under.
If you have to pick out one on your own, buy the tuner first, and just go into the store and start plinking. Just try out a couple of guitars in the models that are priced in reach. Tune the guitar and play a couple of chords. Play it until the tuning stabilizes-- listen to the tone as you do. Play all the chords you know, and try some barre chords if you know those. Most store guitars are tuned and the strings stretched. If not, the strings will likely be shiny new and it may be hard to judge the tone through that extra brightness. They will also go out of tune easily if really new.
Now pick up that other guitar of the same model, and do the same thing.
By that point, you should have a favorite between the two. Ask yourself why.
Is the construction slightly better? Or does the guitar just seem to fall into tune more easily, and also sounds better to your ear?

Don't buy a guitar the first time you visit; just play them. Explain to the staff that you will buy when you find the right one, and you plan to take your time. Within about an hour, you should be able to pick out differences in the sound of the guitars beyond the tuning and new strings. You are now listening for the sound of the wood.

If you can't yet pick out which guitar is better between two identical models, play a couple more of the same model, and try to pick out the one thats the clunker, that sounds or plays the worst. This is easier. Then ask yourself why that one sucks, and try to pick the best of the bunch.

If you need a clue, try playing one of the nice models in the store, and compare it to the ones you were just playing. Then go back again and try out those same models.

After a couple of visits you should be able to pick out a decent guitar from the models in your price bracket.

If not, maybe the bass?
Old 4th December 2012
I would try a Squier pack, u get an amp and a guitar and some accesoires... But it depends what kind of guitar u would like..
Old 4th December 2012
Gear addict

For acoustic guitar, I'd recommend the Yamaha FG-730S. For electric guitar, either an Epiphone Les Paul or Dot, or a Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster or Telecaster.

I'd start by trying those, but you have to go play a bunch of guitars and see what you like, there's really no way around it. Good luck!
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Thank's for your help, I am still looking online for guitar shops in singapore, any sugestions ?
Old 5th December 2012
Gear addict

I'd really suggest finding a place to play different guitars in person. I don't know what kind of variety you'll have in Singapore, but you need to play different guitars yourself and see what feels right to you. The less experience you have, the more important this is.
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Run to Costco grab the fender they sell
Old 7th December 2012
Lives for gear

Hi is a yamaha c-40 any good ?
Old 7th December 2012
Gear addict

The Yamaha guitars I've played have been very well made for the money, I think the FG-730S stands out among their current guitars. I've never played a C-40, but at that price you're not going to get anything amazing. My minimum requirement for an acoustic is that it has a solid top (made out of a single piece of wood) which this doesn't appear to have. It's probably as good or better than any other $150 guitar, but you might get a better instrument for another $100 or so.
Old 7th December 2012
Lives for gear

Just get the cheapest Squire strat that's around $80~100. Get a Boss tuner.

edit: why don't I have one of those 10 yr swag things under my junk? Whattup Jules? :P
Old 7th December 2012
Asipiring Audio Wizzard

I think Cort guitars are really good for what you pay, my mum has an acoustic Cort that feels and sounds better than any Fender acoustic that I have played, I have not tried their electric guitars but I have played one of their basses once and it was quite nice.
Old 7th December 2012
Lives for gear

Hi what is the difference between acoustic & classical guitar?

I want to play mostly pop songs like bee gees & john Denver stuffs & etc.
Old 7th December 2012
Asipiring Audio Wizzard

A regular acoustic guitar can be made use either steel or nylon strings.
A classical guitar uses nylon strings but is made to be a lot louder and richer than most acoustics, they are also not cheap. I played Cordobra (A Spanish made brand) once and it changed how I think about the sound of an acoustic guitar, if you see one in a music shop I recommend that you at least try it.

For your purposes a regular steel or nylon string acoustic will do.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search