Login / Register

Which Monitors do you think sound better?
New Reply
Subscribe
ShaneVasquez
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Gear Head

Which Monitors do you think sound better?

20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Gear nut

I've been looking into getting monitors myself. Really the one thing I've come away with from this site and every other source on the internet is: There is no "What is the best or what is better" when it comes to monitors.

It all comes down to personal preference. Also, room size, acoustic treatment, etc..

Don't listen to anyone's recommendations online. You need to go listen to them yourself. You can even just go to Guitar Center. I know the one near me has all 2 of those you listed. I was actually there today and I got to have the entire room to myself for as long as I wanted testing all the monitors I wanted. It's not a perfect room but if I hadn't done that I would have paid $500 more and had a pair of monitors I didn't like as much as the ones I found today.
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneVasquez View Post
Yamaha NS-10 or Adam A7?
The NS10 is harsh, rolls off the low end early, and has a prominent bump in the vocal range, causing people to mix vocals light, bass muddy. I've not heard the Adams, but given that they are a newer design I would have to at least give them a listen before I chose. The Yamahas were a budget bookshelf speaker that accidentally became the reference speaker for traveling engineers and producers who were working in unfamiliar rooms. Due to constant exposure on the cover of Mix, they ended up getting a reputation and becoming something that they were not originally used for. Within their original price point they are a nice design but there are much better options... there were then, there are now.

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Resistance is not futile. It is voltage divided by current.
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonovski View Post
I've been looking into getting monitors myself. Really the one thing I've come away with from this site and every other source on the internet is: There is no "What is the best or what is better" when it comes to monitors.

It all comes down to personal preference. Also, room size, acoustic treatment, etc..

Don't listen to anyone's recommendations online. You need to go listen to them yourself. You can even just go to Guitar Center. I know the one near me has all 2 of those you listed. I was actually there today and I got to have the entire room to myself for as long as I wanted testing all the monitors I wanted. It's not a perfect room but if I hadn't done that I would have paid $500 more and had a pair of monitors I didn't like as much as the ones I found today.

Weird. This is a word4word copy&paste from my post in a similar thread, 4 days ago. Which moniotrs are better?

odd....

anyways, ya. ^^^

I really didn't like the Adam A7x

They were pretty harsh or in your face with the mids, and definitely lacked some good solid low-end. I spent 45minutes listening to the same song on the A7x and the Dynaudio BM5a (which I ended up choosing, and are like $450 less for the pair). I really was not impressed with Adam. But you need to choose what you like best and what you know you will enjoy working on. Go test some out.
ShaneVasquez
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Gear Head

Thanks for the info, Guitar center does not have adam and for sure not the NS-10 since those are no longer made. I was told from one of my teachers that he loved the ns-10, but I like to get input from others too knowing they ow end drops off is some good info, since when i produce i produce edm. I will master anything though, so need a wide range of speaker without spending 5, $10,000
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

NS-10s were originally intended to be used under the "if you can make it sound good on these, it'll sound good anywhere" theory.
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Gear addict

Listen to the Yamaha HS80M
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

The A7X is way better than all of these other speakers mentioned. In the price range, it really can't be beat. I use S3X-H's now, but I had some very good times mixing on the A7X.
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

The A7X's definitely sound "better", however, that does not necessarily make them better monitors. Lotta classic records have been mixed on NS10's.
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneVasquez View Post
Thanks for the info, Guitar center does not have adam and for sure not the NS-10 since those are no longer made. I was told from one of my teachers that he loved the ns-10, but I like to get input from others too knowing they ow end drops off is some good info, since when i produce i produce edm. I will master anything though, so need a wide range of speaker without spending 5, $10,000
Depends on the guitar center. The one near me has A7x and the old A7, and they also had a bunch of used Yamaha's. You can search online to see if a guitar center near you has NS-10's. Or check Sam Ash, or any other music store.

Just because your teacher said the NS-10's sound good, doesn't mean you will think so.

example: one guy in this thread thinks the A7x sound amazing, and I thought they sounded like crap for the price. It's all subjective. You will only be happy with what you like. Everyone's ears are different. What matters is how you use the monitors to produce,mix, master, etc... NOT how someone else does or says they do.

You really just have to test a bunch of monitors out and find the ones you like best.
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

Keep in mind too, no one chooses NS10's cause they think they sound good. That's not really the point in picking out a set of reference monitors.
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

Where the Yamaha NS-10 bite me in the butt was their limited low frequency response. I remember tracking a narration here in my home studio for a video project a production company was posting. Luckily I was also the audio engineer for the same project and knew how and where to attenuate the build-up of low end frequency response when transferring the reel to the 1" video format. The audio sounded very nice here through the NS10, but very bass heavy in the other facility. There are quite a few situations where the translation with increased bass response wouldn't be such a factor, but with voice it stood out like a sore thumb.

Dennis
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search